Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Repairing a Marantz 2230 receiver?

Pieman

Question

These seem to be 1970s icons, having seen several in the background of numerous TV shows and movies.   

Mine has died and I am replacing  it with something from another manufacturer. First some of the interior lights died and then it met a slow death.

Are these worth repairing?

16 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

Are these worth repairing?

It depends... Do you love the blissfully warm Sound?.. are you fairly handy with electronics?

Transistors & light bulbs are cheap...

However, If you have to Outsource the repair work, probably not...

Marantz were the holy grail to me at the time. I had a Dual receiver that lasted decades, but died long time ago. If you have a chance, repair it. The classic would be to replace the electrolytic capacitors as they have limited life time. Then, to go ahead from there. Good luck!

33 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

It depends... Do you love the blissfully warm Sound?.. are you fairly handy with electronics?

Transistors & light bulbs are cheap...

However, If you have to Outsource the repair work, probably not...

Shouldn't be more than a couple of hours, a reputable electronics shop should handle it for $200 +/-, then you're good to go for another 40 years (knock on wood). 

If you're happy with it and aren't looking to upgrade, go with it.

If it was mine, I would get it fixed as I personally love and adore those old receivers... I'm not a audiophile per se  and have a old giant Pioneer SX 1980 that sounds incredible!.. I can actually hear the bass drum pedal springs squeak on Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin 😆

4 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

That's a mighty beast my friend.

+1 - That is a BEAST!  I have its smaller brethren, an SX-980.  If it broke, I wouldn't hesitate to fix it.  Love the sound, and real wood,  of these old 70's receivers .  Fix the Marantz!!

My original (I've had three) 2230 went dark over a period of years.  Our soundman worked at Audiotronics in Orlando, so he replaced them from time to time.  First wife got that one.

They do pop transistors on occasion and the transistors are known to "weaken".  The one I have now has new transistors and extra bulbs!  

I'm guessing that the aforementioned tune-up being about $200 is spot on.  If you listen to vinyl or tape, you should restore yours to it's original form.  If you're using a "service" and all your music is on your phone, it might be a fool's errand.

I'll add my vote for "fix it".  I have a Pioneer SX-1250 that I love.  So far I've always been able to fix it myself by replacing fuses, cleaning pots, replacing bulbs and cleaning switches.  Did I mention cleaning pots and switches?  Just one dirty balance control or selector switch can make the whole thing seem like junk.

My guitar repairman recommended a guy who services electronics devices, radios, amps and even TVs.    I am going to give him the Marantz and the Gibson GA-6 to repair.  I'll give you a list of the problems, fixes and costs so we can have some sort of benchmark.  BTW, the Victoria folks want $75 per hour for amp repairs, not unreasonable for people that know tweeds. I just don't want to have the hassle and cost of shipping.   It's a 15-20 minute drive to the repair shop. 

Archived