Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Unexpected benefit of digital: GAS reduction

polara

On 11/24/2019 at 6:04 AM, gorch said:

What finally haunts me with the digital signal processing, it doesn’t need more than one single guitar of medium quality performing as a signal provider instead of a signal shaper. What would I do with my lovely Hamers and Scheithauers then? The HFC would be much poorer without the mojo talks though.

Actually different guitars still sound just as different as if you had played them through a tube amp or even a solid-state power amp with no EQ. I was playing the Jazzmaster last night, and it sounds radically different than the Strat, so I used the "humbucker" rig. It's just that now I can use an amp with more low-mids and gain for the Strat, and not have to actually buy it and carry it around :)

3 hours ago, polara said:

Actually different guitars still sound just as different as if you had played them through a tube amp or even a solid-state power amp with no EQ. 

Agreed.  For my $0.02 digital just frees up more money for guitars and makes switching between those guitars even easier.

I too love Fractal and haven’t looked at an amp head purchase since.  I started with an Ultra and was disappointed.

The 2 was a huge improvement and the 3, having spent considerable time working with it, is even better.  For me the biggest difference from 2 to 3 being feel although it does sound better.

I’ve found a workflow when programming presets that works for me.  The hardest part of all is dialling in IR’s and mixing them to taste but when you get it right...

I’d never go back.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well, there's digital and then there's this:

https://www.boss.info/global/products/sy-1000/

spacer.png

Just announced, does best with a hex pickup (13 pin cable). Looks like a beast. I still have a Roland Ready Stratocaster, so this looks like a great fit. The SY-1000 does the Boss effect/amp modeling (borrowed from the GT-1000), several synth engines and guitar/bass modeling as well. Woo hoo!

So no, not really a cure for GAS.

Archived