Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Vintage 47 Ric Style Supreme 1x12 Combo At DGS

That is a pretty decent price, especially for that finish. Speaker upgrade and you're good to go with a nice, pedal friendly grab'n'go. You can jump the two outside channels for an extra gain stage or put your fave dirt pedal (I like treble boosts for this one) in front.

I'd bite if I didn't already have one... 

I remember having discussed with David barnes the founder and past owner. A great valco fan and a real hommage to the brand. To jump on it at that price. Indeed 

I just bought it. Review to follow. Speaker selection will be key...I love Weber’s, but not the Sig  series so much. If I don’tt like it I might go with a Blue or clone thereof, a la gtone. Or maybe another Celestion type. We’ll see. I haven’t bought a new amp in several years....I am stoked. 

9 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

I just bought it. Review to follow. Speaker selection will be key...I love Weber’s, but not the Sig  series so much. If I don’tt like it I might go with a Blue or clone thereof, a la gtone. Or maybe another Celestion type. We’ll see. I haven’t bought a new amp in several years....I am stoked. 

Congrats Bruddah! Nice snag 🙂

Congrat, David gave so much the Valco spirit....The design is great and what I heared is simply great as well....You did a great snag...You will sure enjoy it

Thanks everyone! It will be perfect for the monthly jam I attend and for recording. I had a 60s Valco that had the best trem I ever heard. I traded it for another amp which was great...but I have always missed that amp. This will be fun.

Hope it scratches you where you itch brother Mark. You've been around the block and back, so I'm sure you'll muck around with it until you get your sound out of it.

Good luck and play the crap out of it (ha ha)...

It arrived last night and is an early model from 2008. It looks to be unplayed and like new. I put old RCA 6v6s and an RCA 5y3 after I played it for a bit. The amp sounds like Chess Records in a box. It will be perfect for old-school blues and following gtone’ s lead, using a treble booster turns it into a rocker. And jumpering the channels adds tons more gain and volume. It will be perfect for recording and playing at home and small venue blues jams. The tweed and tolex is beautiful.

What preamp tubes are you guys using in yours? What 6sl7 in particular? That is the phase inverter.  This was a good purchase. 

I'm running a Hytron grey plate 6SQ7 and an old RCA black plate 6SL7 in the pre/PI slots. I had some other old 6SL7's but the RCA ran quieter and smoother than the others.

Jumpering the outside inputs adds a ton of volume!  I am finding this amp takes pedals very well. It will be a fab recording amp. It LOVES the Lovepedal OD11. My speaker is a Weber Sig ceramic. I swapped it out today for a reconed Oxford 12k that came out of a Maggie Troubador. The minute I played a chord I could hear the alnico softness, the goodness....man, 50s circuits seem to love alnico. Only issue is now the amp is a touch too dark unless I jumper the channels.. I think the channels will remain jumpered cause Ilke what it adds. Next weekend I’ll swap the speaker for either an old Cleveland or an old Rola that sounds killer. Both are brighter than the Oxford.  I am astounded at how well this little amp takes pedals. It takes pedals much better than either of my Fender tweed clones. I found a slew of pedals which add treble content and sound killer....maybe even bringing the volume to jam level indoors....I am quite literally blown away...while I had the chassis off I did an inspection and am quite happy with the quality of the components, wiring, and overall construction and attention to detail.

I may follow gtone’ s lead and throw in a Blue or a Weber Ceramic Blue Dig for more volume and presence. We’ll see how my old alnico swaps go first. Plus I have a couple old ceramics by Quam that might be perfect too. This is a great blues amp that turns into a classic rock monster with pedals.

I remember having spent some hours on finding the correct 5W/12W model and at that time, Swart was a very good choice so as Vintage 47 based on the Valco/Supro model and David Barnes really succeeded in bringing this kind of magic based on the vintage circuit but with modern connection (and modern components) and I am sure he succeeded before transmitting the company to the new owner who apparently continues the magic....

Not so marketed as Swart or Tone King but I am almost sure the quality is there for those very little amp as well....

Have a lot of fun....I am sure the speaker change may influence really the sound a lot...

This is a great amp for playing at home and recording and I believe a it will be loud enough for a dirty blues gig or jam. I hope to record with it today. First Gotta hand the Christmas lights and take the grandson out for a donut.

ghamer, the amp is made impeccably well...and mine is used. Mine was made by David Barnes and there is some quirkiness involved in a couple areas but I like stuff like that. 

Archived