Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD - NHC

gwayne

PRS killed it with this one.

I had come to the conclusion that I was never going to have a long term relationship with PRS'es. They were always GREAT in some way but left me flat overall. Earlier this year I inquired about the DGT, bought one and have grown to love it. For some reason the McCarty 594 was never on my radar but once I found out about them and started investigating I knew I had to try one. I reasoned with myself that I would try one and either keep it or the DGT. I think I'm keeping them both. Is it overly "blingy"? Probably. I couldn't care less because it plays and sounds so freaking GOOD! The pattern vintage neck is by far the best neck they've ever done and they finally put two volumes and two tones on a McCarty, which as I understand has always been their attempt at a LP. Supposedly the 594 has a slightly thicker body than the stock McCarty. Can't comment other than the body depth is still less than my '57 Historic. The 58/15 LT pickups are fantastic and this one came with the "TCI" version which will be standard on 2020 models even though it has a finish date of Nov 2019. If you get a chance to try one of these, you will be impressed.

13F2C3F1-F734-47D9-9B5C-483A85A3CDC4_1_201_a.jpeg

3E47BDF7-2F87-4DB3-A229-86956D643A95.jpeg

41 minutes ago, mrjamiam said:

What he said!  Is that color denim?

Faded Whale Blue. Like Hamers, the photos don't do it justice. Of the core colors (not Private Stock), it's my favorite.

Congrats. I’m a long time fan of the DGT and have been playing one for years along with PRS 513s.  I’ve also come to love the 594. I have a McCarty Single Cut 594 Wildwood Wood Library model (Faded Whale Blue too). The single cuts have thicker bodies than the double cuts and are the same thickness as my R8. The 58/15LT tci’s are incredible. Twenty and thirty years ago I never got PRS guitars. They were very nice looking, but the ones I played always left me a bit flat. FF to today, I believe that PRS makes some of the best guitars on the planet. You’ll love that guitar for years! I saw your guitar on reverb. I’d have bought it myself if my vacation to the hospital last month hadn’t broken my back financially. Enjoy!!!

10 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Congrats. I’m a long time fan of the DGT and have been playing one for years along with PRS 513s.  I’ve also come to love the 594. I have a McCarty Single Cut 594 Wildwood Wood Library model (Faded Whale Blue too). The single cuts have thicker bodies than the double cuts and are the same thickness as my R8. The 58/15LT tci’s are incredible. Twenty and thirty years ago I never got PRS guitars. They were very nice looking, but the ones I played always left me a bit flat. FF to today, I believe that PRS makes some of the best guitars on the planet. You’ll love that guitar for years! I saw your guitar on reverb. I’d have bought it myself if my vacation to the hospital last month hadn’t broken my back financially. Enjoy!!!

Thanks - I remember you responded to my DGT thread when I was looking earlier. 

I did find the PRS on Reverb. Funny thing is I had been in negotiations with another one - also in Faded Whale Blue - when this one showed up on Reverb. I loved the top on this one, but I wasn't going to walk away from the deal I had started so I went through with it and thought I had bought it. The next day I get a call and the salesman sheepishly starts apologizing and saying "this almost never happens, but someone came in and bought that off the sales floor right before you sent funds."  Hey NO problem. I couldn't send an offer quick enough for this one and everybody's happy in the end.

9 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

It’s the wood. It’s exceptional.

I guess? Their finishes do look different from other manufacturers. PRS seems to show both the wood and color in a special way. Those photos are not altered at all - the guitar actually looks like that in person.

10 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

How do they get the top to look like that? Prolly the most dynamic "contrast" (for lack of a better term) I've ever seen in a flame maple finish.

9 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

It’s the wood. It’s exceptional.

19 minutes ago, gwayne said:

I guess? Their finishes do look different from other manufacturers. PRS seems to show both the wood and color in a special way. Those photos are not altered at all - the guitar actually looks like that in person.

IIRC, I think it was mentioned here before on the HFC, that PRS uses some type of dye process to make the figure in the maple 'pop out'?  I think that it was also mentioned here that Jol had decided against using that finish process for Hamer, and that it was supposedly like 'cheating'.  I could be wrong, but I believe that's all in the HFC archives somewhere.

Just now, crunchee said:

IIRC, I think it was mentioned here before on the HFC, that PRS uses some type of dye process to make the figure in the maple 'pop out'?  I think that it was also mentioned here that Jol had decided against using that finish process for Hamer, and that it was supposedly like 'cheating'.  I could be wrong, but I believe that's all in the HFC archives somewhere.

I vaguely remember that as well and that Hamer "floated" the stain between the clear coats - something like that. Maybe @serial can pipe in.

13 minutes ago, crunchee said:

I also remember something along those lines. 

1 hour ago, crunchee said:

I’ve heard similar things said. I’m not sure how much of it is real or has any real effect on the wood. In my experience I’ve had numerous opportunities to pic my guitar tops before the build and am able to see what the flame or quilt is when it is raw, just by wiping it down with water. The depth and character of the grain usually looks the same stained and clear-coated, just whatever color you choose being the difference.

Wiped down with a water drenched rag:

CCD9965C-CA41-4FA6-8E99-A101CAB29731.jpeg

B264E94A-5467-47B5-8AAF-0A3AF6EC392F.jpeg

DSC_6971.jpgDSC_6973.jpgDSC_6975.jpgDSC_6978.jpg

2 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I’ve heard similar things said. I’m not sure how much of it is real or has any real effect on the wood. In my experience I’ve had numerous opportunities to pic my guitar tops before the build and am able to see what the flame or quilt is when it is raw, just by wiping it down with water. The depth and character of the grain usually looks the same stained and clear-coated, just whatever color you choose being the difference.

Wiped down with a water drenched rag:

CCD9965C-CA41-4FA6-8E99-A101CAB29731.jpeg

B264E94A-5467-47B5-8AAF-0A3AF6EC392F.jpeg

DSC_6971.jpgDSC_6973.jpgDSC_6975.jpgDSC_6978.jpg

Stellar!!

15 hours ago, RobB said:

The technique is called, “double-staining.”  The maple is stained black, then sanded off and stained again with the color stain. Makes the figure, “pop.”

Yup. Chris at Addict Guitars did the same thing for the 2 builds he did for me.

IMG_5836.jpg

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

Yup. Chris at Addict Guitars did the same thing for the 2 builds he did for me.

IMG_5836.jpg

Gorgeous!

16 hours ago, RobB said:

The technique is called, “double-staining.”  The maple is stained black, then sanded off and stained again with the color stain. Makes the figure, “pop.”

Makes sense. Pretty cool.

I wouldn’t call it cheating though. the whole purpose of staining and clear coating is to enhance the beauty of the wood by making the grain “pop.” If a prep coat of black stain brings it out even more, then way to go to whoever first figured that out! Pun intended LOL!

Archived