Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Black Friday bargains---was it just me, or...

...were there not as many guitars and basses (incl. brands and models) at blowout prices on the major selling sites this year? I landed on one, and there leadoff portion was chock fulla gizmos. You had to scroll down a considerable way before guitars started showing up, which may have been intentional on that website.

The rationale is that I wasn't looking for anything in particular anyway, and I'd bought a Fender ltd. edition Offset Telecaster as a Black Friday deal last year.

Just didn't seem to be as much of a selection this year. YMMV

I wasn't looking at any guitars as Santa Shane (Huss- HEL Guitars) will  be delivering a few in the new year ;) but I did run into a particularly frustrating issue on the Floyd Rose site-  they had 15% of on all items but everything I tried to put in my cart was listed as sold out.  When I went to look for them elsewhere, 8th Street Music couldn't seem to keep their site functioning. No one was answering phones and the online chat help said call back tomorrow during business hours etc etc. 

I fell off the wagon and bought a whole batch of stuff......LAST year. Just nothing much triggering even mild gas THIS year. That new-ish Swart Stereo Master sounds like fun. Even found a dealer that would take a whopping FIVE percent off. Somehow the urge just faded right away....

That new Iridium pedal is very enticing. But I know that no dealer is going to discount it.....Do not even bother asking about Strymon.....

I'm hoping that Adorama blows out a bunch of its inventory at some point before the end of the year. I picked up a Gretsch Players Edition Jet last year after Christmas for $1300. It was described as open box, but was unopened and brand new. I only wish I had picked up a Players Edition 6120 as well. 

Was bombarded by guitar center emails 15 percent off.     My local store music mill,  was 20 percent off including used.  So if the item was reasonably priced used item already,  20 off was a pretty fair deal.          Some sellers were pretty obnoxious sending multiple emails in a day.    it’s one thing if you’re on Facebook posting cool pics of various items in store. Totally another to carpet bomb people’s inboxes.  Unsubscribed to a couple business that I generally liked but I couldn’t take it anymore.  

50 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Should a relic'd guitar have a relic'd case or not?

It should have a new case as the guitar is new. 😎

Fakest black friday sale ever.  I won't say the name of the shop because they are good guys that support players I'm very fond of. They just had exactly what I was looking for except it looks like a clipper ship collided with a '57 Chevy.

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Should a relic'd guitar have a relic'd case or not?

48 minutes ago, gorch said:

It should have a new case as the guitar is new. 😎

38 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Looks kinda used. 

You could always carry it without a case outdoors when it snows, like Michael Bloomfield supposedly did:

http://aws2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/michael-bloomfield.aspx

I like the relic job on this Tele, it actually looks like it should.  Lately, I've been seeing guitars that were supposedly 'relic'd', but either whoever did the relicing went way overboard, or they look more like they got a crummy paint job instead.

The problem I have with relic'd new guitars is, how to determine if it is mint when it comes to a resale?

So, how to separate real dings and dongs from the original relic?

The guitar actually looks very nice.

5 hours ago, gorch said:

The problem I have with relic'd new guitars is, how to determine if it is mint when it comes to a resale?

So, how to separate real dings and dongs from the original relic?

In the shop, each one has a little card "do not handle without staff".  I mean, who cares if they bang it into something. Ok, maybe they don't want you to bang it into the glossy PRS next to it.

A relic never gets old, but the frets will have wear.  The pots might get worked a lot.  A jack may go bad.  Those are the things to look for when buying any used guitar.  On a relic it would be the only thing that could affect the value.  So, a used price should be constant.  Then you subtract for the cost of a fret dressing or replacement and maybe a couple of small parts. 

I've noted on other "relic" threads that I have no desire to buy a new guitar that already looks beat up; simple as that. I don't think that 'tude will ever change.

That said, I got to thinking that a guitar ought to be "visually appropriate" for a performance. If you know your pending audience, you know you probably shouldn't take a relic'ed guitar or one covered w/ R-rated stickers to a country club dance, just like you prolly wouldn't want to take a mint ES-335 or a jazz box to a loud club gig that caters to Millennials. 

And what if the relic'ed guitar isn't even a Gibson or Fender (the only two brands many but not most of your audience would have prolly heard of, anyway)? I saw a relic'ed Fano a while back. It may be a fine instrument but isn't a well-known name, and it would look awful to most observers.

I have never before purchased any musical gear on Black Friday but I have been jones'ing for a Victoria Silver Sonic and a Black Friday deal on one came up on Reverb. Now the agony of waiting for it to arrive is killing me. 

Archived