Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
LordsoftheJungle

Worth it to add Applecare+ for a Mac ?

Question

So I've had my Mac for almost a year now and the Warranty is about to run out,,, is it worthwhile to add the AppleCare+ for 3 more years? I can see getting this warranty for a  device that might get damaged (laptop or phone) but not so much for a Mac that's always at home with no rugrats running around.

14 answers to this question

Buying extended warranties for everything that might break is much more expensive that fixing everything that breaks between the 1st and 5th year of ownership.

I've owned seven mac computers and not one ever had an issue where I needed a warranty.

Edited by cynic
  • Like 4

My Mac Mini has had zero issues (knock on wood), and it’s going on 6.5 years old.

YMMV

Does AppleCare+ cover issues with OS/software issues or questions?

Edited by aknapp
  • Like 2

I've bought 3 laptops for my kids in college and all of them have benefited from the extended warranty.   But I wouldn't bother with the expense for the iMac or other desktop. 

• Like 1

Thanks one and all,,, just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. 🧐

I'd like to add to others' comments.  The new iMacs all have the glass attached with adhesive, so if you do need to repair it, it's a bear to get into.  Also, except for the RAM, everything is soldered on the motherboard.  If you're comfortable doing that work down the road if you need it, great, then you can grab a part off of ebay or wherever and go to town.  Just know it's tedious.  Also, they do cover OS and software questions during that time.  

It's the old thing of if you've never needed it, it may not be worth it to you.  If you've needed a repair that's expensive, it's worth every penny, plus the unlimited support during that time.  A logic board replacement if needed will be way more than the AppleCare.  Just food for thought.

• Like 2

One of the graphics processors in my trashcan mac crapped out.  AC took care of it quickly.  Apple repair prices aren't bad.  My DIL practically destroyed a 13" MBP and the bill was quite reasonable. 

• Like 2

I've damaged 2 screens on 2 different iPhones which I took to the local iPhone repair shop to replace and 6S iPhone with touch screen disease that had screen issues. Having had to pay for repairs without Apple Care got me to start thinking about it when I had to deal with the touch screen disease issue. That iPhone with the touch screen disease issue ended up needing a new screen, wished that I didn't have to pay for the repairs, and eventually the iPhone stopped working on the cellphone provider's network. I got a better iPhone out of the deal. Concerning Apple Care, I wished I did have it for the iPhone 6S with the touch screen disease since it was a manufacturer's defect. The screen issues I can deal with and can have my iPhone screen replaced in under an hour. 

Guitar George

• Like 1

I got it on all our Macs when I owned an agency. One had the motherboard go out, and the replacement was covered 100%. The AppleCare was far cheaper than the work. But I've had the same MacBook Pro for five or six years (pimped it with all the RAM it could hold and a 1TB SSD) and it has never missed  beat in about 300,000 miles of travel and being dropped and abused. They're tough buggers.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone,,,, apparently there is a 60 day after purchase cut-off date for getting AppleCare so I missed the boat anyways!

If you or anyone else gets AppleCare, you are betting against all the data that Apple has.   You are waging that the product you bought will fail, whereas Apple assesses that they built something reliable.  You have little data upon which to make this decision, but Apple has all the data they need to make a profit from your choice.  In effect, you are betting against the house.   You know already how that goes.  It is a gamble.  The house wins over the long term, but stories of those who beat the house keep the money coming in.   

It's not about "beating the house" to me.   Ten years ago, it wasn't too bad to open an iMac and replace a drive etc.  I wouldn't start with that anymore.  Laptops are a circuit board and a screen.  Nothing for me to work on unless I've got the right type of soldering equipment.  Yes, the likelihood of failure isn't high, but sometimes stuff happens and if I've already got the AppleCare, I don't have a surprise bill for hundreds of dollars.  I'm cool with that.  

@LordsoftheJungle If you're not far past the 60 days, call and ask, especially if it's your first Mac.  They may be able to wrangle it for you.  

I almost never buy extended warranties. The sole exception is with portable Apple products. They get so much use, take much abuse, and are expensive to repair. My present 1st generation iPad Pro's home button gave out a couple of months before the AppleCare expired, and they replaced the whole iPad. 10 years ago the video chips on my MacBookPro fried after two years, and they had to replace the entire motherboard. It was a design defect, and two years later the video chips fried again - but I got 2 more years out of the computer for just the price of the AppleCare.  

I didn't get the AppleCare for my 2018 Mac Mini. So far so good.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jwhitcomb3 said:

I didn't get the AppleCare for my 2018 Mac Mini. So far so good.

That's what I've got too,,, fingers crossed!

I've lived in the Apple ecosystem since 1983. My take is somewhat different, to whit.... When Steve Jobs emerged from exile to resume leading Apple one of the first things he did was get rid of much of the after-sales service system and, in its place, constructed AppleCare. To me that's one of the things Jobs got right-est. I tell others that AppleCare is the product, the hardware is free. 

During my touring life I wrote more than 1100 arrangements for show bands, chamber ensembles, pop acts and big (swing) bands. After a security gent in the Madrid airport grabbed my laptop and threw it onto the moving belt. the computer, under warranty, began behaving erratically. I took it to an Apple reseller in Helsinki. (Back then, Helsinki did not yet host an Apple Store.) The staff there arranged for the laptop to be repaired and returned to me two days later . . . in Stockholm.

And I was billed exactly nada, nought, not a farthing. 

Any wonder I've purchased AppleCare for more than a dozen Macs since then?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1