Hamer Fan Club Message Center

79 Sunburst B&C

Fairly rare Sunburst in natural with crowns. One piece neck, so early 79. Probably the most resonant guitar I've ever played. Plenty of wear at 41 years but plays and sounds great. New frets, new nut and period correct replacement bridge pickup. 

SOLD

Thanks

hamer 1.jpg

hamer 9.jpg

hamer 7.jpg

hamer 4.jpg

hamer 6.jpg

hamer 3.jpg

VERY NICE! I owned  2  1979 Sunbursts, one had a one piece neck the other three, great guitars. VERY cool.!............... I think they are Hamer's best guitar model and this one sure is beautiful! B&C'd Natural finish, Grover "BULLSEYE" tuners, OHSC,all stock and refret correct? Price is reasonable IMHO. GLWTS BTW I shouldn't even ask but..............what is the neck profile like........... others will  want to know........I don't need this, I don't need this...................I should not have looked! Looking at it closer now I believe I may have come across this guitar here on the HFC or elsewhere.................. looks familiar but then again it could just be my old age.:)

1 hour ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

VERY NICE! I owned  2  1979 Sunbursts, one had a one piece neck the other three, great guitars. VERY cool.!............... I think they are Hamer's best guitar model and this one sure is beautiful! B&C'd Natural finish, Grover "BULLSEYE" tuners, OHSC,all stock and refret correct? Price is reasonable IMHO. GLWTS BTW I shouldn't even ask but..............what is the neck profile like........... others will  want to know........I don't need this, I don't need this...................I should not have looked! Looking at it closer now I believe I may have come across this guitar here on the HFC or elsewhere.................. looks familiar but then again it could just be my old age.:)

Yes AOH, someone else here owned this one at some point.  From the threads I found, this one did have a refret and the bridge pickup is a period correct replacement. I've had it for 5 yrs and the only thing I've had done is have the nut replaced with a bone nut.  I'd consider the neck to be in the same camp as a Fender modern "C" carve,  very comfortable and easy to play.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
9 hours ago, kizanski said:

Did I jinx it?  Because this should have been gone that same day.

My guess is, that you were generally lazy and didn't follow the link. It is indeed very nice guitar, lots of wear though. 

Great Color, B&C, 1979, Full Sustainblock! 

I would really like to see this instrument in person. Is there a POSSIBILITY the guitar was originally a burst that faded? The reason I ask is because of what appears to be a halo of color on the top adjacent to the binding. This does in no way diminishes the desirability (or sound) of the instrument. The grain on the back of the guitar is beautiful -- the mahogany that Hamer had access to back then was amazing. 

5 hours ago, topekatj said:

. Is there a POSSIBILITY the guitar was originally a burst that faded? 

No, I do not believe that. 
My Honey/Amber/Natural dot-neck ‘79 Sunburst with serial 9 0888 looks like this one with the mahogany back. 
A sunburst-coloured Sunburst would have a red back. 

Gabe 😀

5 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

My guess is, that you were generally lazy and didn't follow the link. It is indeed very nice guitar, lots of wear though. 

Great Color, B&C, 1979, Full Sustainblock! 

You sure that’s a full sustain block?

it almost looks like it’s shimmed like the 77-early 78’s. I know they switched to the larger base plate/non-shimmed sustain blocks in 78 but that just looks like it has a shim. Maybe it’s the lighting or the angle...

014B5F8F-CDDC-4B25-A3BC-A845F2E7542A.png

31 minutes ago, Gabe said:

No, I do not believe that. 
My Honey/Amber/Natural dot-neck ‘79 Sunburst with serial 9 0888 looks like this one with the mahogany back. 
A sunburst-coloured Sunburst would have a red back. 

Thanks for the post, good to know, makes perfect sense. 

11 hours ago, Travis said:

You sure that’s a full sustain block?

it almost looks like it’s shimmed like the 77-early 78’s. I know they switched to the larger base plate/non-shimmed sustain blocks in 78 but that just looks like it has a shim. Maybe it’s the lighting or the angle...

014B5F8F-CDDC-4B25-A3BC-A845F2E7542A.png

Looks like a shadow to me. The 70's and 80's are think strat like bases. 

Full sustain block, no shim

Finish is definitely natural, not a faded sunburst.

As stated it does have its share of wear, the buckle rash being the most noticeable but other than that we're talking average play wear for a 41 year old guitar. No breaks or repairs. Frets are in great shape. Period correct replacement pickup ,refret and bone nut, otherwise all original including original case.  Rings like an acoustic unplugged. 

Archived