Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Enquiring Old Fart Wants To Know

crunchee

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Yeah, well, if she names all of Sarzo's bands alphabetically we will know that she just memorized a list someone gave her.

It’ll also mean that she knows how to read. 

I have $20 that says she doesn’t know what “alphabetically” means.

24 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Who's Billy Idol?

6 minutes ago, aknapp said:

Who's Van Heusen?

I was mistaken. I meant why are people upset that Billy Eichner has never seen Van Wilder?

14 hours ago, Funky Chicken said:

i'm super excited to have been told by my wife that I get to take my 14 year old daughter to see BIllie Eilish in March. Gonna blast VH1 the whole way there.

You have my deepest condolences.  Bring a Gallagher Concert Tarp, in case Eilish gets a nosebleed.

15 hours ago, Funky Chicken said:

i'm super excited to have been told by my wife that I get to take my 14 year old daughter to see BIllie Eilish in March. Gonna blast VH1 the whole way there.

It's been a few years since I had to take my kids to any shows. At the time it was mostly post punk/pop punk/emo type stuff. I wasn't really wild about any of it but I was thankful it wasn't anything like Florida Georgia Line. If I was still chaperoning I'd rather go to Billie Eilish than FGL.

47 minutes ago, Stike said:

It's been a few years since I had to take my kids to any shows. At the time it was mostly post punk/pop punk/emo type stuff. I wasn't really wild about any of it but I was thankful it wasn't anything like Florida Georgia Line. If I was still chaperoning I'd rather go to Billie Eilish than FGL.

I think I'd rather be waterboarded than to be subjected to 90 minutes of FGL.

Van Halen hit 41 years ago. You think Diamond Dave in 1978 knew who made some of the biggest hits of 1937? Names such as:

Teddy Wilson

Shep Fields

Hal Kemp

Sammy Kaye

Now, I wouldn't make that bet against Eddie, but Dave?

4 minutes ago, Lockbody said:

Van Halen hit 41 years ago. You think Diamond Dave in 1978 knew who made some of the biggest hits of 1937? Names such as:

Teddy Wilson

Shep Fields

Hal Kemp

Sammy Kaye

It wouldn't surprise me if he did.  Also, keep in mind, though: Van Halen didn't show up 40 years ago and then disappear.
They had a body of work, along with countless world tours, which spanned 5 decades.

If they had had one hit in 1978 and were never heard from again, this would be a little different.

Dave would have known some of those names because as a kid he would have been hearing some of the music leftover from when his parents and grandparents were around.  Radio changed, but the big bands would have gotten played somewhere on an "oldies" station.  The movies shown on television when Dave was a kid would have had big bands in their soundtracks or on screen. 

27 minutes ago, kizanski said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he did.  Also, keep in mind, though: Van Halen didn't show up 40 years ago and then disappear.
They had a body of work, along with countless world tours, which spanned 5 decades.

If they had had one hit in 1978 and were never heard from again, this would be a little different.

Okay, I'll have to give you guys the scatting thing, but five decades? They were done by the mid-nineties. A new tour announcement by VH carries no more relevance to a kid these days than one by John Kaye's Steppenwolf.

I've got a 15yo girl. I expose her to a ton of music, and while she digs a lot more things than some of her friends, a LOT more is met with rank indifference.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:13 PM, tbonesullivan said:

That said, I have always tried to get experience music from different time periods. As a classical music fan, I've listened to works spanning centuries. I also love Big Band era Jazz, 60s and 70s R&B, and many other things that were definitely NOT things I grew up with.

I went the same route. As I grow older I listen to more and more jazzy stuff, also from the 50's. I always loved 70's music, but being a kid then I never got to see anyone of them live, my first concert was in 1987 (Deep Purple). In recent years I "discovered" the 60's/70's Big Band stuff for me too, Buddy Rich, Peter Herbolzheimer, but big band music is not really something that was "new" to me, I always loved the "Streets Of San Francisco" theme, even as a kid, Bill Conti's "Rocky" soundtrack and other film scores. I also loved Zappa's "Live in NY", Studio Tan and Orchestral Favorites albums, Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Apocalypse" and "Visions of the Emerald Beyond". Though I was born already when those albums originally came out, these albums were several years old when I got into them. I never had a problem to listen to music that came out before I was born. We also watched all kinds of old films on TV, even Metropolis, the Charlie Chaplin/Harold Lloyd/Buster Keaton stuff, I read comic books that were older than me. I always loved classic arts and music. If it is good, it doesn't matter how old it is. Unfortunately many people, even my age, think differently. Many people my age got into music far later when they were in their late teens/early twenties. So, many are into 90's stuff. But strangely somehow they don't like much music that came before they got interested in music. I see this behaviour in much of the following generations. A few weeks ago, I was talking to a co-worker who is in her early 20's. When we came to talk about interests, we talked about music. And while she did listen to music, she only listened to it as "background music" when jogging or doin' sports or in the car. She admitted, she didn't know any artist or song by name and she shared the spotify account with her boyfriend. She didn't like old music or films. Though she may be an extreme example, I think, this is not uncommon with younger people. At work, I work as a media designer, there was a young female co-worker who could do some cool handlettering. I can draw well, and I can do okay portraits of people. It is obvious that when the young people saw some of my work, they had nice words for it, but it was obvious that they envied my talent as they couldn't recreate what I did. Now, this talented "handlettering" co-worker gave some who were interested in that craft a few courses. She got a lot of attention and while some of her followers were talented, their work was just copies 1:1 of the co-worker work. Nothing, that stood out, not bad, but not interesting.

44 minutes ago, Lockbody said:

Teddy Wilson

Shep Fields

Hal Kemp

Sammy Kaye

33 minutes ago, kizanski said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he did.

As goofy and rock’n’roll as he was, Dave actually had a great knowledge of old music. In many old interviews, both taped and in guitar magazines, Dave talked about music he loved that came before rock, and many times had referenced Milton Ager and Jack Yellen (hits in the ‘20s and ‘30s) who wrote such classics as Ain’t She Sweet, Happy Days Are Here Again, Hard Hearted Hannah, Mama Goes Where Papa Goes, and Big Bad Bill(sound familiar?) Dale Evans and Happy Trails. In fact it was DLR who had to convince Eddie to cover BBBill, and Happy Trails among others. Dave was a fan of ragtime, jazz and swing.

1 minute ago, gtrdaddy said:

As goofy and rock’n’roll as he was, Dave actually had a great knowledge of old music. In many old interviews, both taped and in guitar magazines, Dave talked about music he loved that came before rock, and many times had referenced Milton Ager and Jack Yellen (hits in the ‘20s and ‘30s) who wrote such classics as Ain’t She Sweet, Happy Days Are Here Again, Hard Hearted Hannah, Mama Goes Where Papa Goes, and Big Bad Bill(sound familiar?) Dale Evans and Happy Trails. In fact it was DLR who had to convince Eddie to cover BBBill, and Happy Trails among others. Dave was a fan of ragtime, jazz and swing.

I stand corrected re: Dave.

30 minutes ago, Lockbody said:

Okay, I'll have to give you guys the scatting thing, but five decades? They were done by the mid-nineties. A new tour announcement by VH carries no more relevance to a kid these days than one by John Kaye's Steppenwolf.

'70s, 80's, 90's, '00s, '10s... That's five decades, regardless of what the relevance is to "a kid these days."

Archived