Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Enquiring Old Fart Wants To Know

crunchee

1 hour ago, Lockbody said:

Van Halen hit 41 years ago. You think Diamond Dave in 1978 knew who made some of the biggest hits of 1937? Names such as:

Teddy Wilson

Shep Fields

Hal Kemp

Sammy Kaye

Now, I wouldn't make that bet against Eddie, but Dave?

33 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

As goofy and rock’n’roll as he was, Dave actually had a great knowledge of old music. In many old interviews, both taped and in guitar magazines, Dave talked about music he loved that came before rock, and many times had referenced Milton Ager and Jack Yellen (hits in the ‘20s and ‘30s) who wrote such classics as Ain’t She Sweet, Happy Days Are Here Again, Hard Hearted Hannah, Mama Goes Where Papa Goes, and Big Bad Bill(sound familiar?) Dale Evans and Happy Trails. In fact it was DLR who had to convince Eddie to cover BBBill, and Happy Trails among others. Dave was a fan of ragtime, jazz and swing.

I remember reading an interview with him in the 80s where he said Al Jolsen was his favorite singer 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BubbaVO said:

Exactly.  How many fucks do you think she really gives if she's still popular in five years?  The money is different these days.  If you're one of a very select few, you can get in and out of the business after several years with a higher net worth than EVH after his five-decade-spanning career.

19 hours ago, Lockbody said:

Okay, I'll have to give you guys the scatting thing, but five decades? They were done by the mid-nineties. A new tour announcement by VH carries no more relevance to a kid these days than one by John Kaye's Steppenwolf.

I've got a 15yo girl. I expose her to a ton of music, and while she digs a lot more things than some of her friends, a LOT more is met with rank indifference.

Not sure how you define "done", but I get the gist of what you're saying. They were largely idle from '98 until DLR rejoined in 2007. But...I'd counter your general perspective by pointing out that the VH reunion tour in 2007-2008 was the highest grossing in the band's history. Anecdotally, the show I attended in Greensboro was remarkable to me for the sheer numbers of what appeared to be multiple generations of fans. The groups in front of and behind my row included grandparents, parents, and kids--all rocking out and sporting VH t-shirts.

But now...in 2019?  Those middle school kids that I saw at the 2007 concert are in their mid-twenties and likely have young families of their own.  My own 11-year-old daughter (same for my 19-year old and 16-year-old) doesn't really acknowledge VH, but she does love some Pink Floyd, The Cars, The Beatles, Cheap Trick, Chicago....and yes, dammit, Billie Eilish.  I guess you really can't have it all. 

Archived