Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Peavey Factory abandoned in 2010

Pieman

My research indicates that the Decatur plant did not make guitars,

Interesting to see a picture of actor Paul Giamatti at the 1:32 mark.

If that plant closed in 2010, that is indeed the same year Peavey suspended domestic standard guitar production. 

That said, they have been making Composite Acoustic brand guitars in Meridian all along.

They began making standard guitars again in Meridian in 2017. These two are examples of what they're building now.

LO-Peavey_HP2_ST_Cherryburst_Front_03028000.jpgLO-Peavey_HP2_Deep_Ocean_Front_03027800.jpg

I did. It was pretty obvious his entitled shitbag stepson and plastic wife are at the core, IMO.  Hartley Peavey didn't start the company with that end in mind, but greed and money-grubbing cling-ons will fuck with your head.

Hartley Peavey did two things that probably cost him in the end. 

One, his company was one of the last major manufacturers to allow catalog and online retailers to have his product line.  He was trying to keep them from competing with the dealer network that was in place.  

Two, he held out on moving production to Asia.  That was long before Undercover Boss.  Ampeg had moved to Asia a long time ago.  Peavey was trying to make the mid-priced amps here in the USA longer than other companies. 

4 hours ago, kizanski said:

Hopefully they locked the doors so that none of those fucking guitars can escape.

I like some Peavey USA guitars but this is just plain fucking funny @kizanski!!

I always find it sad seeing American production plants that look like decrepit ghost towns. Look at pictures of Detroit, at what was once a thriving industry, and the place looks like it was bombed by nukes. And the thought of these businesses suffering because they tried to keep production here, hindering their ability to compete with cheap Asian manufacturing, is really pathetic. People who aren't in business don't seem to understand how companies are forced to move production to Asia or else fold. In either case, domestic workers lose. But that's the cost of satisfying a consumer public that demands cheap goods. 

1 hour ago, FGJ said:

...People who aren't in business don't seem to understand how companies are forced to move production to Asia or else fold...

For me it was more about how Peavey management made promises to their employees and lied through their teeth right up until they yanked the rug out. Pretty heartless.

I owned 2 PEAVEY guitars.................................. not anything else by them. I got this one from a seller in Canada [And I later sold it back to him] It was a pretty well made guitar.nARDZ9K.jpgKxGmtv4.jpgsbPvpic.jpg 

.......................................................and this one. Peavey Odyssey II Prototype, bought it from a  Peavey Artist/Endorser.  HUGE neck! and it was well made and played and sounded on par with the original issued Odyssey    f6AMTEF.jpgkxM5VSg.jpgKwUP1Zo.jpgijbgqak.jpgYduCAss.jpgTtd8x9E.jpg

I gave a Peavey Firenza to my son. But not till after I put custom built minibuckers in it and reworked the neck with a fret level an dress and rolled the edges. Neck was wide and fat! He likes big necks and it quickly became his goto rock machine. All in all the Firenza’s are damn good guitars!!

EA961738-515B-43E8-9DFF-471C189656BE.jpeg

Yup, the Firenza and Limited USA were the models I referenced above that I like. My Soapbar Firenza does the p90 into hog thing perfectly...but it will be up for sale Cheap to fund a Shishkov. They hold no value used at all which is sad. My Firenza is a 1999 and it has straight string pull tuners, neck spoke wheel truss rod adjustment, and excellent hardware. Killer low wind p90s. Great full neck ....but...it’s a Peavey...so it will not sell for much. 

4 hours ago, hamerhead said:

For me it was more about how Peavey management made promises to their employees and lied through their teeth right up until they yanked the rug out. Pretty heartless.

Yeah, unfortunately, that's how most companies operate. 

I know Peavys have terrible resale value, but that's a plus for players because their playing value is far greater than their market value. I bought one of their short-scale T-series guitars for my daughter as her first electric and it's an extremely well-built instrument. No, it's not flashy looking or made of unicorn hoofs, but it's light-as-a-feather ash and plays very well. It could use new frets, which would cost almost twice what I paid for the guitar, but I'm tempted to invest the money simply because it's a keeper. 

I used to own the VTM 120 & 60 tube amp heads, 412MS 4x12 cabs with Celestion G12K-85 speakers and the 212MS 2x12 speaker cabs with the same speakers. I ended up trading the amps and cabs away for Marshall cabs. Then the VTM 120 & 60 amp heads became popular again. 

I'm still am friends with a few people involved in the music retail industry.

https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/bill-xavier

Bill used to work as a sales man at Music Unlimited back in the early '90s. He played guitar and was in a band with a local rock singer. I forgot his name at the moment, but I used to see him perform at The Stone in San Francisco (now it's a gentleman's club) during that time period. I met up with Bill at NAMM one year, catched up to what he was doing in his career over a couple of beers, and revealed to me that he worked for Peavey. He was one of the major people in that company for many years. He did tell me that Hartley Peavey tried to convert him into being a Christian. He went to work with Ovation Guitars and is now Executive Vice President with Hanser Music Group that owns B.C. Rich Guitars. If I go to NAMM, I look forward to chatting with Bill some time in the future. 

Guitar George

• 4 weeks later...

My first electric guitar was a Peavey Patriot.  Gone is the Classic 100 amp.  I still own a KB100, Peavey Classic 30 combo, Peavey Classic 30 Head. and Peavey Classic 20 combo converted to a Head.  I did not know Peavey was doing anything in the States.  I guess it would make sense that there higher end guitars would continue to be manufactured in the States.

Archived