Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wah pedals

I got the Dunlop GCB-95 which I bought in the late 80's or early 90's. It has seen the pot replaced several times. But somehow when I play it, I am not really happy how it sounds. I did watch some YT clips of wah comparsions and I even liked the GCB-95 in those. Sometimes it even sounds good in some recordings I did. But when I use it, I have the feeling it sounds weak and dull.
Here is an example of the wah:

Excuse the bad recording quality and playing (the recording is from 2011, the band already dissolved, but it is still the same wah). I used my Hamer Cali Elite maple with the EMG 89 (in humbucker mode) on the clean channel (!) of my Marshall 6100. The distortion coming from the high output of the pickup.

Old 1970's Brittish ColourSound SupaWah for me. Just like Brian Robertson and Prince. They just can't be beat. I like the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe to, very good wah wah.

I have a Teese RMC-3.  That's the one that has a bunch of dip switches and some other controls so you can tune it exactly how you want to.  I must say that this has been helpful because I've gotten it set just perfect and then a year or two later thought "that sounds like shit" and started all over.  Your tastes and in my case, hearing, change over time so it's nice to be able to adjust the one you have rather than go looking for a new one.

4 hours ago, Disturber said:

Old 1970's Brittish ColourSound SupaWah for me. Just like Brian Robertson and Prince. They just can't be beat. I like the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe to, very good wah wah.

A friend who worships Thin Lizzy said the Colorsound Wah has a different throw on the pedal gear that takes getting used to.  Was there an issue with that for you?

25 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

A friend who worships Thin Lizzy said the Colorsound Wah has a different throw on the pedal gear that takes getting used to.  Was there an issue with that for you?

I really don't know... I first bought a Colorsound Wah wah, which was great. Then I read that Robbo used the Supa Wah, so I sold the Wah Wah and bought a Supa Wah. But I found them quite the same. I did not compare them side to side though. The Supa Wah supposedly has a longer throw. I never had a wah wah before I bought the Colorsound. Only borrowed friends from time to time. But I can't say if the Colorsound feels different. I am no Dark Overlord of the Wah wah unfortunately. There are people out there that can use these things far better than I can. I just step on it and make noise. I am no Wah Wah Watson, or Curtis Mayfield. Wish I was.... I think I need to practise more.

When I bought a used Dunlop GCB-95 for $50 (about US$36), I was underwhelmed with the stock unit too. Greg from SolidGoldFX had modded some pedals for me previously and he claimed he could make it into a kick-ass wah pedal with a series of mods, all of which cost me about US$60. Wow that thing sings now - much more dynamic "Q" with a more vocal quality, some added growly mid sizzle, an LED indicator and true bypass. A keeper for life for low bucks and needless to say, I keep going back to him for tone-shaping tools as he's been blessed with a great ear matched with the tech chops to achieve solid tones from yesteryear.

On 12/6/2019 at 4:02 AM, Studio Custom said:

I know, you tell your Axe Fx which of many  wahs you want, then you dial in the  Q curve, high and low cuts to taste and then select from one of many sweep ratios.   😝

All so the drunks at B.Dubs can completely ignore your attention to detail while you're playing "Sister of Pain" beneath the Sacramento Kings/Phoenix Suns game on the big screen.

Archived