Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Yngwie @ Iridium 12/6/19

Damn, that’s a small stage...

i was just watching a video of yngwie from the early 90’s playing a huge venue. First thing I thought was, here he doesn’t have enough room to spin his guitar around his back or kick picks into the audience. Then, I caught at least one of each of those moves. 

I saw Yngwie in St Louis around ‘05-‘06. I still have one of his picks...

Huh?? What is this? Is he playing guitar to playback tracks?? I don't know what to do with this guy, not a fan of him. I could give his first album a listen every few years, despite the shitty production. But this is neither entertaining, nor have I any good words for it. But, hey this man lives the dream of many metal guitarists, driving Ferraris, living in a house in Miami, playing guitar fast and loud and leaving his hardcore fans in awesomeness with every performance he does. Not my kind of style.

I’ll never forget the 1st time I picked up a Yngwie style guitar. My 1st thought was WTF did they do to the neck!! I still can’t get used to a scalloped neck, but I’ve know and played with others that just tear shit up with them!!

3 hours ago, scottcald said:

Did he actually explain or talk about technique or give any real insight?  Or was this just a concert with no other musicians?

Primarily the latter.  He took A QUESTION between each song.   The best answer was when he said something similar to, “back when I was an asshole and said what was ever in my mind”.  I'm sure I wasn't the only person to think, something’s never change.   

It had a surreal Wayne’s Works vibe, I’ll give it that.  

He’s definitely a caricature, but a monster player.

His instructional videos are vague to say the least, and he’ll say things like “Now i do it slow”... Fdfdfdfdrdrdldr...

Theres no shortage of transcriptions of his classic tunes; they’re very similar harmonically, and his applications of sweeps and vocabulary are repetitive- but the guys technique is still amazingly accurate and he still stands alone at “what he does”, not everyone’s cup of tea, but Man...credit where credit is due.

The best compliment I can pay him is the fantastic quality and insight he displays on his transcription of Paganini’s Fifth Caprice, I think it was published in GuitarOne, or Guitar World years ago. It’s a fantastic transcription and his explanations are academic and insightful, the polar opposite of every other “off the cuff” explanation I’ve ever seen or heard from him. Worth checking out if you dig him!

25 minutes ago, geoff_hartwell said:

Theres no shortage of transcriptions of his classic tunes; they’re very similar harmonically, and his applications of sweeps and vocabulary are repetitive-

Diminished 7th, harmonic minor and phrygian over and over. I’ve never listened to an entire Malmsteen album in one sitting except for when I bought Rising Force, and the No Parole album. Alcatraz was fun. I preferred it with Vai though. I can however, on the other hand,  just watch him play up close for hours. His technique is insanely great. That, I love the guy for!

2 hours ago, geoff_hartwell said:

The best compliment I can pay him is the fantastic quality and insight he displays on his transcription of Paganini’s Fifth Caprice, I think it was published in GuitarOne, or Guitar World years ago. It’s a fantastic transcription and his explanations are academic and insightful, the polar opposite of every other “off the cuff” explanation I’ve ever seen or heard from him.

Smells like a ghostwriter.

I used to be a huge fan of Yngwie from Alcatrazz until the “Odyssey” and “Live in Leningrad” albums —those two with Joe Lynn Turner.

He got great tone, great vibrato and a great melodic sense, besides awesome articulation and the speedy chops we all know he does overuse. His rhythmic playing is very precise and quite interesting too.

Yes, he’s caricaturesque, but he did give birth to a new era of heavy metal guitar right after Eddie Van Halen.

Nowadays I don’t listen to him as much as I used to, but still feel a lot of respect for him, no matter what. As @geoff_hartwell said above, credit where credit is due! 🙏🙇

42 minutes ago, zorrow said:

I used to be a huge fan of Yngwie from Alcatrazz until the “Odyssey” and “Live in Leningrad” albums —those two with Joe Lynn Turner.

He got great tone, great vibrato and a great melodic sense, besides awesome articulation and the speedy chops we all know he does overuse. His rhythmic playing is very precise and quite interesting too.

Yes, he’s caricaturesque, but he did give birth to a new era of heavy metal guitar right after Eddie Van Halen.

Nowadays I don’t listen to him as much as I used to, but still feel a lot of respect for him, no matter what. As @geoff_hartwell said above, credit where credit is due! 🙏🙇

Truth. I remember an interview with Eddie Van Halen maybe twenty years ago where Eddie said the first time he heard Malmsteen he was driving his car listening to the radio when one of Yngwie’s tracks came on. Eddie said his jaw dropped and he pulled off the road to be able to concentrate on the guitar playing. The first thing Eddie said he thought was along the lines of “Holy Shit! That Mother F***er can PLAY!” I though that was huge because Eddie rarely compliments other players.

The best I heard Malmsteen play so far (as I said I can enjoy Alcatrazz' No Parole and his Rising Force album, I have been a huge Blackmore fan then) is this one:

Hard for me to recognize him if I didn't read the credits before. Drummer Vinnie Colaiuta I would have recognized immediately when he played his break.

Yeah he can play stuff I will never be able to even attempt and he is a virtuoso. Sadly that music does nothing for me, it's hard for me to even consider it musical. Is there a melody in there somewhere? Very repetitive..... meh

arniez

The last show I saw Yngwie Malmsteen perform was in San Francisco at the Independent. He had a 3 piece band (drums, bass, keyboardist) with the keyboardist or Yngwie that sang in place of a vocalist that they usually hired. I love Yngwie's neo classical rock guitar playing, but didn't care for the keyboardist or Yngwie attempts at singing his songs onstage. I went away from that concert kind of displeased about their lack of hiring a good singer onstage. 

I also saw Yngwie on Oct.26, 2011 Relentless tour at The Fillmore in San Francisco. He had a great band lineup which included Tim "The Ripper" Owens on vocals. I didn't know who the other musicians onstage were. That was a great show and I didn't mind Yngwie singing his Jimi Hendrix song at the end of the night. I enjoyed the show, saw my friends there, and felt that my money was well spent on that concert.  I don't think I'll be seeing any of Yngwie's concerts in the future without a full band and a great vocalist onstage. The backing tracks are ok for a playing clinic, not a concert stage with a paying audience. 

Guitar George

Archived