Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Here's the first video from our 2020 album

polara

We hadn't intended to make a video yesterday, but L E picked up her phone as she was singing and started shooting me. We did another run through with me shooting her, then propped the phone up for a third run. We of course synced the video to the actual recording for the album (we're mostly finished tracking and mixing) but we were singing and playing at full volume, hence the strained neck muscles :)

The usual stuff: we wrote it and played the instruments and recorded it at home. Aston Origin mic into a Focusrite Scarlet and Garageband, bunch of soft synths, and the electric and acoustic guitars were the same: 1949 Gibson ES125 into some digital amp models. The Gibson mics surprisingly well.

Best played loud, with headphones :)

Your music was always good... but is it just me or is it getting even better?!? I enjoyed this tune and jammed the hell out of it. Sounds like it would be perfectly at home on WREK 91.1FM.

If your music is getting even better then what does this say about your commitment and determination? I’d say you are on your way to where you wanna be... your hard work and perseverance is just flat out paying off.

Great video too!

DOOD! I am digging this! Love home grown music that has both personality and is well recorded.  Reminds me of some of the more cutting edge/fringe/alt stuff my roommate in Seattle used to parade out. The underlying synth(?) or guitar that weaves through this is a great textural touch! Love the vocals too- very ethereal and nice contrast to the more gritty industrial sounding instruments. My only critique would be the drums felt a little too far up front in the mix at times, given they were kind of simplistic and not overly sophisticated. Just the .02 of a dumb, 80's shredder wanna-be.

Bravo, man!

3 hours ago, burningyen said:

I agree the mix could use a tweak, but love the tune and video!

I'm thinking cut some of the sizzle off the  beats and compress them to make them sound more "machine"-like, and then the vocals will be in the right place. I kept the vox back, because I like how it worked on My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" album.

5 hours ago, polara said:

I'm thinking cut some of the sizzle off the  beats and compress them to make them sound more "machine"-like, and then the vocals will be in the right place. I kept the vox back, because I like how it worked on My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" album.

I'm nobody, but if this were my tune I'd scoop the mids on the beats, add a little more low mid meat to the bass synth, and ride the fader on the guitar part (up when there's no vocal). I really like the song as-is, though.

33 minutes ago, burningyen said:

I'm nobody, but if this were my tune I'd scoop the mids on the beats, add a little more low mid meat to the bass synth, and ride the fader on the guitar part (up when there's no vocal). I really like the song as-is, though.

The other tracks are nothing like this... it's really the oddball for this album and while it's fun to play live, it's weird.This one has been a bugger to mix: it's harder than I thought to go full shoegazer. There are only two electric guitar tracks, one with a stereo delay, but maybe they're too beefy, because I actually have two bass synth tracks that normally carry a lot of weight. I think I just have a little too much happening in the 500 to 1000 Hz territory now. Getting closer, and thanks all for suggestions. :)

On 12/8/2019 at 7:43 AM, polara said:

We hadn't intended to make a video yesterday, but L E picked up her phone as she was singing and started shooting me. We did another run through with me shooting her, then propped the phone up for a third run. We of course synced the video to the actual recording for the album (we're mostly finished tracking and mixing) but we were singing and playing at full volume, hence the strained neck muscles :)

The usual stuff: we wrote it and played the instruments and recorded it at home. Aston Origin mic into a Focusrite Scarlet and Garageband, bunch of soft synths, and the electric and acoustic guitars were the same: 1949 Gibson ES125 into some digital amp models. The Gibson mics surprisingly well.

Best played loud, with headphones :)

Wow -- that's got so many European influences... Portishead, Garbage, Massive Attack, Dido, Cranberries.... even some Kate Bush and Verve, coupled with some general Scandinavian ... Pretty cool. I'm going to spend a little time with this for sure...

Archived