Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NOGD (New Overhauled Guitar Day)

Jeff R

The long-awaited overhaul of my mid 1980s ESP Random Star, one of the Akira sigs from the mid 1980s, is complete finally. You might remember I picked mine up as a project piece about a year and a half ago.

Here's what an Akira looked like back in the day.

phkdzzcywowydlcdag1c.jpg

Here's what my project Akira looked like when I got it, its original Ferrari red paint stripped (grrr), its mirror pickguard and accent plates disposed of (grrrr) and its "refin" in a goopy white pearl paste that looked like a child applied it with a tongue depressor. Even on the neck trunk.

80052581_10220343235271464_7132394228436

I stripped the neck and returned it to vintage glory, complete with a re-radius and jumbo refret, a period correct repro logo copied from my other mid 1980s ESP, and a hand-rubbed Danish oil trunk finish (it feels awesome). Spray gun maestro Joel Cangiolosi at Full Blown Paint south of BR reshot the body (after filling old mirror plate holes) in a custom intense metalflake color he and I came up with called "alien bile." Joel finished his magic this week and I had it back up and running shortly thereafter. Stills below can't capture the sparkly in full glory, so here's some video :)

That's the guitar's original pre-Berlin Wall-fall German Floyd Rose, pickups are a Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis Blues Saraceno Trembucker and a Gibson PAF I pulled from an old Les Paul. This is THE BEST sounding rock guitar to have ever set foot in my shop. And it's no longer an Akira, it's a Fret Shack/Jeff R. now (!). Thanks y'all for letting me show it off.

78559931_10220343253951931_7223974703692

76765585_10220343257992032_6581151518345

78316269_10220343257192012_1131282475822

43 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

C'mon Jeffro I  want to hear a soundbite of you revving the engines so I can see if you party well without Loudness

You mean you haven't received a Marshall-driven phone call? 

I have a soft spot for Star shaped axes. ;)  This is a first rate reclaim/refurb/mod. Bravo, sir!

Izzatta PATB in the bridge position? I went through no less than 7 different pick up iterations (4 active choices and 3 passive) in my Charvel CS Star. before finally landing on a Gravelin Mongoose B and a '59 N. While it's still as yet unsold, I'm slowly moving towards hanging on to it and getting a replacement neck made: a maple board with a slightly better carve and jumbo stainless frets and a reversed Strat head. I would hold on to the original for when someone does actually follow through on a commitment to purchase it  :P

12 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Izzatta PATB in the bridge position? 

Parallel axis blues saraceno trembucker according to the original post...

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Parallel axis blues saraceno trembucker according to the original post...

I guess it would help if I read the entire post instead of drooling over the guitar pron.  :P

46 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

I guess it would help if I read the entire post instead of drooling over the guitar pron.  :P

I’ve been guilty of the exact same thing several times over. 

Love it. Great color choice and I like how you went plain black on the pickups.     I dug a lot of indie and lesser known major label metal during that period 80-85 and these were the sh*t.   

Archived