Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New Song: This one has a recovery theme for anyone in the program...

Dasein

I'm waiting on a new Bridge plate for my Floyd . The Hamer branded Shaller finally gave up the ghost on me - I'd tapped and drilled and installed helicoils, and now they are popping out and stripping, so a new plate arrives here tomorrow from Shaller in Germany.

But that gave me some time to finish the lyrics on this song - lead guitar will come when the Hamer is ready to go! Drums are still my weakness - but this one has a bit of a groove to it. I hope you enjoy. The guitar is my Hamer in dropped D (2 tracks) with an acoustic track blended with the clean guitar track as well. I was cutting leads when the bridge died.... :(

45 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

I listened all the way through.  The song never really jumps out until that last part at the end. 

good to know... I'm hoping some better drums and leads will fix that but I did try a structural thing with this one where I made the bridge more exciting than the chorus - might have left the song too flat otherwise.

Plenty of songs have a peak at the bridge... no probs with that idea at all. I really dig the tune. I like the “feel” and vibe which is maybe the most important aspect of a song IMHO. Good vocals and you’re really getting the double track thing down... there are so many ways to accomplish this but how in particular did you get that effect?

I think it’s a quality song. For some odd reason I think it would make a great “Synthwave” song. Right now, it’s a sort of laid back - California - late 70s soft rock arrangement... sort of the target Sugar Ray was reaching for in the mid-ish ‘90s with Someday &  Every Morning.

Those songs punctuated their vibe with breaks containing small and simple ornamental licks. You might want to figure out how to periodically get people’s attention with little breaks or whatnot but in the end it’s a good song & you should be proud of it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks again guys. Took some of your advice and added a few more melodic elements - I may add a wee bit more. As a note - aside from the acoustic guitar here (which is subtle) it's all my Hamer Cali. I really appreciate the feedback and listens.

@Dasein, listen to ZMB. I agree it is a wonderful song That really has that 70s AM vibe that I love so much. But it needs those little ornamental breaks Zen spoke of to become GREAT. It really does have that laid back SoCal 70s thing but it needs those little baby hooks that reels us in all the way.

Overall a great tune. And I get it...drums are hard. Your production is clean. My recordings are so dirty and saturated..,this makes me feel like I need a nice clean recording like this. Good job, brother.

39 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

@Dasein, listen to ZMB. I agree it is a wonderful song That really has that 70s AM vibe that I love so much. But it needs those little ornamental breaks Zen spoke of to become GREAT. It really does have that laid back SoCal 70s thing but it needs those little baby hooks that reels us in all the way.

Overall a great tune. And I get it...drums are hard. Your production is clean. My recordings are so dirty and saturated..,this makes me feel like I need a nice clean recording like this. Good job, brother.

Thanks Jake -- more hooks to come... I gotta sit with this for a bit while I let them all come to me! I like what I added so far but I need more for sure.... just gotta envision them.

Archived