Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2005 Hamer Studio Custom Specifications

Yesterday, I brought my '05 Studio Custom and restrung it for the first time in over four years. Why I have not

been paying more attention to it is a mystery because it does play so well and sound even better.  Do any Hamer

experts know perhaps how many of these Studio Customs were finished in Aztec Gold which is a stunning finish

on this almost mint guitar.  It is completely stock and only a light fret dress has been done on it.  I believe the body

wood to be Honduran mahogany and the fingerboard looks like ebony, but may be a really dark Indian rosewood.

Any owners of these models care to share their information on electronics and tuners?

Studioplayer

My Studio Custom had a Mahogany body and neck with a thick maple top with a lot of flame and was done in beautiful burst. The fret board was Indian rosewood. I sold it do to medical bills but it was an incredible player. I had switched out the pickups as I can’t help myself from messing with my guitars but the stock pups where ok. But not as good as the ones I had wound for it.

Hamer pots and I put a new cap in it. The head stock was all inlays flawlessly done. Victory crown work was also flawless! 

It was a beautiful guitar with a nice chunky neck that almost played it’s self. I wish I still had it!!! 

54 minutes ago, Studioplayer said:

Yesterday, I brought my '05 Studio Custom and restrung it for the first time in over four years. Why I have not

been paying more attention to it is a mystery because it does play so well and sound even better.  Do any Hamer

experts know perhaps how many of these Studio Customs were finished in Aztec Gold which is a stunning finish

on this almost mint guitar.  It is completely stock and only a light fret dress has been done on it.  I believe the body

wood to be Honduran mahogany and the fingerboard looks like ebony, but may be a really dark Indian rosewood.

Any owners of these models care to share their information on electronics and tuners?

Studioplayer

Photos would help.  Aztec Gold was a very popular Hamer color, often found on guitars with maple tops.  The way you're describing your guitar makes me think you're thinking of selling it?

Looks like Vintage Natural finish to me. A close-up of the fingerboard at the nut and next 2 or 3 frets might help ID the fingerboard wood. Rosewood is standard but could have been a special order.

I have the certificate that was shipped with the guitar.  It is a 2005 Studio Custom # 5 55103.  The color is

Aztec Gold and the avatar photo is more like the color under sunlight.....a gold hue to it.  Under the lights that

I used to take the photo makes the tint more brown than gold.  This one below is of the headstock portion of the

fingerboard.  Of course it's possible the certificate was prepared in advance and then signed later by Frank and Jol.  

The serial number on the guitar matches the one on the certidicate.

Studioplayer

077DB686-2531-42E4-840A-55C9F861A5D6.jpeg.30d6e5b5ac6aa73a286b80ad541a7775.jpeg

One thing I've never quite understood about the volume pots on this Hamer is that statement in the accompanying manual that states that there is a sudden volume increase to be found from “9” and “10” on the volume pots.  They sort of claim that Hamer came up with the idea for it.  However, I own two Les Pauls that don't advertise this, and volumes on both guitars do about the same thing between “9” and “10” on their volumes.  Granted, I can take advantage of the fact because I play usually at home only, but many others who play out may not being using this “feature” as stated in the Hamer manual.

Studioplayer

Archived