Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How To Write Modern Pop Country

crunchee

The Ken Burns Country music documentary on PBS changed my perception of country music quite a bit.  I don't like modern country music any more now, but I understand it differently.  In my view country music is not in the actual music so much but the people that listen to it, the radio stations that play it,  and where it is mostly produced, Nashville.   My band Famous Volcanoes has a pedal steel featured predominantly.  We have an alter ego string band with banjo and mandolin.  Yet I doubt your average country music listener would consider us country music.   When you twang out in Minneapolis its called Americana music.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRpSaX76yVo      

On 12/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, SSII x 2 said:

Was it Tom Petty that said "Modern Country sounds like the Eagles with a pedal steel in the background.?"

Or words to that effect...

If he did say that, it would have been an accurate assessment of '90s country, not the current state of the genre. 2014+ country sounds more like a mash up of Nickelback and hip hop with exaggerated southern accents and templated lyrics. 

14 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

If he did say that, it would have been an accurate assessment of '90s country, not the current state of the genre. 2014+ country sounds more like a mash up of Nickelback and hip hop with exaggerated southern accents and templated lyrics. 

My son and his musician friends call it Bro Country. I wonder what Kinky Friedman would have to say about modern country music?

16 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

I don’t know if Petty said that, but in 2015-2016 he DID say “modern country is bad rock with fiddles.”

Archived