Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gravelin Firebird/mini-humbuckers

I had Josh make me a custom set of pickups for my Studio. It was originally shod with SD '59s, which I always felt sounded muddy. I used to own a 2018 SG Special that had a variant of Firebird pickups, and I had Josh try to duplicate them in a humbucker-sized pickup.

Result? Clear and chimey,  just what I was wanting. Does it sound identical to my SG Special? No, and I wasn't expecting it to; they are constructed differently. These are MUCH better than the original SD '59s! 6.3k neck; 6.9k bridge.

DSC00013 2.JPG

DSC00014 2.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

6 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

I had Josh make me a custom set of pickups for my Studio. It was originally shod with SD '59s, which I always felt sounded muddy. I used to own a 2018 SG Special that had a variant of Firebird pickups, and I had Josh try to duplicate them in a humbucker-sized pickup.

Result? Clear and chimey,  just what I was wanting. Does it sound identical to my SG Special? No, and I wasn't expecting it to; they are constructed differently. These are MUCH better than the original SD '59s! 6.3k neck; 6.9k bridge.

DSC00013 2.JPG

DSC00014 2.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

Beautiful Guitar!.......................and those pickups WOW!............................. look like they were made in a jewelry store!

Badass. Firebird minis in a full sized humbucker platform, sounds killer. 

I recently had Josh wind me some single coil sized P90 style pickups and they’re friggin’ amazing. 

Josh does amazing work and he’ll have my business as long as I have a guitar that needs a pickup. 

Glad you're pleased Thundersteel! I enjoy doing non-standard type of builds so much and it was a real pleasure to make these for you.

Bubba: because I use nickel silver for the frames and covers, there's essentially zero eddy currents generated and no measurable or audible changes that I can test or perceive. Additionally, I made sure to mount the coil assembly squarely in the middle under the covers to faithfully replicate the positioning of the pickup were it to be an actual mini-hb firebird type. Good stuff!

Thanks!

On 12/11/2019 at 11:15 PM, Travis said:

Badass. Firebird minis in a full sized humbucker platform, sounds killer. 

I recently had Josh wind me some single coil sized P90 style pickups and they’re friggin’ amazing. 

Josh does amazing work and he’ll have my business as long as I have a guitar that needs a pickup. 

Built like a P90 but in a Strat size? Be still my heart. Really?

6 minutes ago, polara said:

Built like a P90 but in a Strat size? Be still my heart. Really?

They sound AMAZING

8 hours ago, JGravelin said:

Glad you're pleased Thundersteel! I enjoy doing non-standard type of builds so much and it was a real pleasure to make these for you.

Bubba: because I use nickel silver for the frames and covers, there's essentially zero eddy currents generated and no measurable or audible changes that I can test or perceive. Additionally, I made sure to mount the coil assembly squarely in the middle under the covers to faithfully replicate the positioning of the pickup were it to be an actual mini-hb firebird type. Good stuff!

Thanks!

I geek out over this stuff.  You had me at nickel silver for the frames.

Archived