Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Kahler bridge on 83 vector

northarrow

Question

Here’s what the seller said when I questioned it .... “Of course its original, that's just them, you'll see that with bridge spacing, pickup pole-piece spacing not unusual especially for USA hand made very typical. “

If that’s the same guitar it once was a hardtail. Kahlers don’t require thru body. Shame :( Somebody had to add the Kahler. In my opinion the guy is spreading some thick bullshit... better get yer boots on ....

If it where mine I’d ditch the Kahler fill the hole find a stock bridge and repaint! 

I’d even kick around the idea of a single pickup and just a volume control. (Since you’d be repainting) Now that would be way cool!!! 

It's CLEARLY an aftermarket mod.  Hamer was one of the few places back in the early-mid 80s that could do a correct Kahler or Floyd installation.  They had nothing to do with that one.

That was an original Sustainblock '82, with a non-matching Kahler installed somewhere outside the Hamer shop.

Totally not original! It is out of line and there are string-through bushings. It was originally a hard tail...

Vintage Guitar America = Vintage Guitar Hollywood

It doesn’t take very long for Google to find some interesting info about some of John’s business practices. 

I can’t remember if it’s the same guy, but there used to be a “vintage dealer” in LA that would buy actual vintage guitars on eBay, swap out some parts with modern shit, then demand a refund because it wasn’t as advertised. 

Whatever the case, I’d love to hear his explanation for the string-through ferrules on the back of the guitar. 

For the record, Palmdale is synonymous with crack cocaine. 

I gotta say that guy has the biggest load of BS I’ve heard in a long time!! I can’t make out the model of that Kahler but if it’s not a 2500 series it’s not period correct. I think the 2300 series started in the late 80’s early 90’s. I’m just going by guitars I’ve owned  with Kahlers to surmise that. I’m not a Kahler historian or anything like that. 

Just the same he’s full of shit!! And I do buy and sell and repair a lot of guitars.

What’s his Reverb site? So I don’t buy any HAMMER guitars from him!!

If you had doubts, why did you buy it? Ferrules on the back of a guitar with a kahler are a dead giveaway that it's not original.

The guy does seem pretty dang self-righteous. I don't know many who would brag of being the "darling of the musical hipster community of Los Angeles".  I think this is the original listing?

https://reverb.com/item/26827427-vintage-1982-hammer-vector-flying-v-made-in-u-s-a-old-beater-with-dimarzios-kahler-crummy-case

I wasn’t concerned with it being original but as you see the angle of the photos are misleading and didn’t see the Kahler placement till I took a pic of it a month later ( was away when it arrived ). 

23 hours ago, Hbom said:

Not the 1st "vintage guitar expert" I ran into that doesn't know how to spell Hamer.

...or "a lot". Can't say I've ever seen "a lot" spelled a-l-l-o-t before.
And as for "they don't actually buy and sell anything..."    Hey... You can accuse me of not being able to play, but I'll be DAMNED if I let you say I don't buy and sell anything!!

4 hours ago, kizanski said:

...or "a lot". Can't say I've ever seen "a lot" spelled a-l-l-o-t before.
And as for "they don't actually buy and sell anything..."    Hey... You can accuse me of not being able to play, but I'll be DAMNED if I let you say I don't buy and sell anything!!

I’m really a horrible speller and at the total mercy of spellcheck...

16 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

So to recap, you are going to send it to a guy who poached the repair job after reading of your trevails off this messageboard, because he regards himself as knowledgeable and accomplished regarding these instruments?

Not cool.  The owner of the guitar, ultimately, decides who will do the work.  I love Jay and Greg.  Any "blame" resides with the owner of the guitar.  Not the guys hanging a shingle out and offering to restore the guitar.  C'mon.

Archived