Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
bigolsparky

New FRFR Day

Maybe not of interest to tube lovers, but I jammed last night with a couple of friends with whom I have a monthly meeting.  It was my first chance to try my new FRFR with a drummer and it was pretty much awesome.  I got the Laney LFR112 in a deal last week and was very impressed with it. I ran through the FRFR and the mains and the result was great.  The stereo effect was great but the dry sound was just as impressive.  The Laney is a great value for anyone looking and currently my favorite.  

• Like 2

I had to look up furfer.  Full Range Flat Response or something like that.  OK.  It is a cabinet for today's digital amps.  Now I can understand the conversation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

I had to look up furfer.  Full Range Flat Response or something like that.  OK.  It is a cabinet for today's digital amps.  Now I can understand the conversation. 

I had to look it up too...apparently, Furfur is a black metal band, so if you're a fan, you can play Furfur through your FRFR.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, crunchee said:

I had to look it up too...apparently, Furfur is a black metal band, so if you're a fan, you can play Furfur through your FRFR.

My daughter used to fear "furfur".  That's what she called the whistling song at the beginning of the Andy Griffith show.  I never understood why and she seems to be fine now.

• Like 1

I have a question for the Furfurs,

just for context- I use different rigs for various projects, sometimes an amp and pedals, sometimes a FlyRig-based direct setup. But in both I have the guitar coming through floor monitors. 

Why use an FRFR instead of regular monitors? Doesn’t whatever modeler you’re using have cab emulation, etc? Has anyone A/B’d FRFR and regular wedges?

The end result sound you hear is the result of all the pieces in your signal chain.  By going FRFR the concept is to eliminate your monitors as altering the tone.  You want to hear the modeler and IR, not the monitor’s weaknesses.   

• Like 3

I initially used an EV ZLX15 as an FRFR.  It works great.  I also have a Headrush.  The biggest difference in the Laney is that it is naturally flat in response.  The Headrush is more scooped and the EV has too much high end.  The aesthetics of the Laney are a plus as well.  It looks like an amp...sort of .

Edited by bigolsparky
  • Like 1

Okay, so I have the Headrush pedalboard.  I bought two Headrush FRFR 1x12 2000wt cabs.  They sound great, but I now use one for keys.  The most versatile powered cab I could find was the Line 6 Powercab 1x12.  And the reason it works better is that it has a half dozen IR's (emulations of various speakers).  So, I use one Headrush FRFR as my monitor on stage and one of the Line 6 Powercabs on the backline.  Depending on the stage and the venue, I set the Powercab to sound best in conjunction with the FRFR cab blowing in my face.    

My direct out to the PA is the same, no matter where we play.  We use a Line 6 mixer and it's EQ and ambience for mic'd up guitars is really good.  My point is that a mixture between the FRFR and the Line 6 Powercab with the myriad speaker emulations is the best consistent live sound on stage I've ever enjoyed.  You play better when you're comfortable on stage.  The direct to house is simple and sounds good in any venue.  

I'm done spending money on my live rig...

• Like 2