Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Are Brazilian boards from student Gibsons ever removed for use in other guitars?

Jack C

Question

Weird question. I have a ‘63 SG Junior that I love dearly. Really great guitar. I’m pretty sure the body is the only original part.  Even the he fingerboard is non-original.  It’s clearly been replaced with a different non-Braz rosewood board.  Just curious why that might have happened in this guitar’s past. Maybe there was a needed repair.  But I’m wondering if the LP conversion crowd ever removes boards from juniors and melody makers for use in Les Pauls.  Anyone have any idea?

10 answers to this question

Yes.  Everything usable has been cannibalized for forgeries.

3 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Yes.  Everything usable has been cannibalized for forgeries.

I'll second that.  One of my "Les Pauls" built by Chris Lukasik has the board and inlays from a Les Paul Recording.  Headstock was broken and parts were gone.  I bought the carcass for $150.  Nicest inlays and board I own.

Could have been a broken or frozen truss rod and the original fingerboard split or snapped when removed to get to the troubled rod's channel. Who knows. Who cares really. If you have a good slab of properly cut, properly installed and fretted, and naturally-oily rosewood, you're not being held back by its non-hoohoo country of origin.

2 hours ago, crunchee said:

I'm surprised that old Harmony and Kay guitars haven't been harvested for their fretboards as well, that thought has crossed my mind more than once.

I have a luthier friend taking old non playing Kay’s, Sear’s Harmony, etc and salvaging them by building new guitars out of them. Slow process but he enjoys it. I don’t know if he’s sold any of the finished guitars yet!!

Archived