Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Seriously considering selling every Hamer I own

mirrorimij

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Safety Harbor is about 15 miles away. Keep a handful of the best ones that might mean the most and move the rest. See ya when ya get here. BTW, Robin Zander lives in Safety Harbor.

Bob,  

Good luck with this one. I think you are making the right decision (please save me the T-bolt-yeah that one picture leaning up again the tree) and give the guy my number and I'll promise to come over and mow your lawn every tuesday as part of my retirement plans.

Peter

Now is a good time to sell.  I predict a mass influx of guitars on the market in 15 years when most boomers (and people on this board) turn 75+, on a fixed income, and have health problems.  With no younglings taking interest, you will be able to snag them for a decent price.  I sold everything and started over once - it was actually fun.

1 hour ago, DarrenD said:

Now is a good time to sell.  I predict a mass influx of guitars on the market in 15 years when most boomers (and people on this board) turn 75+, on a fixed income, and have health problems.  With no younglings taking interest, you will be able to snag them for a decent price.  I sold everything and started over once - it was actually fun.

There will be a drop if a lot of great stuff hits the market at the same time, and ther are less buyers than sellers. But, as described in LucSullas thread the other week, the great years of Rock N Roll, punk and guitar driven loud concert event, drink, smoke, drugs and f*cking like there was no tomorrow will probably never be here again. These days will be the tale of folk lore. Like the propations years in the 20's, or like the World War 2 stories we heard or grandparents talk about. It's gone. It will never come back. You could buy WWII memorabilia for next to nothing 40-50 years ago. Today much of it will cost you an arm and a leg.

So, I am pretty sure that prices for "the good stuff" will hold it's value okay. And further down the line guitars and other instruments from the golden era of rock n roll will command high prices. There is also the climate change situation and care for rain forests etc. that probably will make it harder to build from good mahoagny and other tone woods in the future. But your run of the mill mexico strat, Epiphone or standard Les Paul will probably not keep their value as good as stuff with a stronger collectors profile.

Look at how the market for old cameras works. Old Nikons and Leicas are highly collectable still, in these days of digital photography. There are auctions all over the world for these vintage pieces.

1 hour ago, DarrenD said:

You are alive today, there are no guarantees you will be around for this utopia in the future.  

There are extremes on both ends of the spectrum, I know people who spend the absolute bear minimum on everything, and as a result have accumulated vast fortunes, but have never enjoyed their lives.  And others, who want to spend $60 every time they come across $50.  

Try to find a balance where you can enjoy today and have a secure future.  

Can definitely see that it's a dilemma and fully empathize with you in this situation. A guy has to follow his heart in these situations and it seems like that's exactly what you're doing.

Good luck come what may! 

6 hours ago, Disturber said:

So, I am pretty sure that prices for "the good stuff" will hold it's value okay. And further down the line guitars and other instruments from the golden era of rock n roll will command high prices. There is also the climate change situation and care for rain forests etc. that probably will make it harder to build from good mahoagny and other tone woods in the future. But your run of the mill mexico strat, Epiphone or standard Les Paul will probably not keep their value as good as stuff with a stronger collectors profile.

I'd think this would be true, both sides of the coin.  And I think people would be surprised just how many quality guitars are still made and sold every year in the $400-$800 range.  It's basically the only part of the guitar market that has grown at all in the last ten years.  And even at that, browsing around a bit. Gibson still managed to sell 170,000 guitars worldwide in 2017.

I have seen prices creep up on some things though - and it's never what I hold on to.  Jackson RR5s for instance are going for about $200 more in good condition than they were two years ago.  Come to think of it, I made a couple hundred bucks on the Adrian Smith Jackson that someone here used to own (didn't buy it from him, but found out later he owned it at a time).  However, I find that kind of thing difficult to predict.  Shredder guitars have been hot for awhile now.  Those 2007/2008 Charvel USA ProMods are going for more than they were new, and for good reason I think.  I had one I picked up for $650 back in 2013 that played as well as my CS Charvel - i'd kill to have that guitar back.  I mostly see them moving for over $1k now though.  But who knows how long that will stay that way.  While it would be cool to feel like I had a bunch of guitars that were worth a lot more than when I bought them, I have a sneaking suspicion that I would have lost my ass if my primary objective in buying guitars was as an investment instrument. 

However, I wish I had picked up a lot more Jacksons and Charvels 10 years ago before the 80s nostalgia thing hit along with whatever else has driven their getting a second look.  I love those damn guitars for some reason. 

Edit - Went back and read the original post.  Sounds like a good reason to move a collection on.  And I lived in Florida for four years while I did my PhD, in Gainesville, rather than a tourism/retirement city.  It's a really interesting place, and the native culture there once you get out of the tourist and retirement areas is really something completely it's own - weird mix of southern and hippie.  And statistically speaking, I find that roughly 90% of people who have a lot to say about Florida but have never lived there - or even HAVE lived there but never really got outside of where the rest of the northeasterners and midwesterners come down to sun and/or pass time until they shuffle this mortal coil - really don't know damned thing about the place.   Native Floridians don't like any of those places either and are also smart enough to not tell folks who aren't interested in anything but the above where the good spots are because, basically, they don't want them there. 

Sounds pretty hassle free to me.  I'd be all over it.

In selling a few things here and there that I felt a strong sentimental attachment to, I find outta sight, outta mind is true.  There's very little difference in not owning something and owning something that's never used and lives in a closet.

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

@cynic, Can't you just sell the construction rental equipment company your father left you, move your family into a bigger house in the city that you currently reside (all the while keeping your guitars, now showcased in a massive "man'-cave') ,  and proclaim yourself a business consultant while you fuck off on internet message boards all day?

Someone sounds jealous huh?  

I’m not going to bother addressing the many inaccuracies in your story,  I’ll let you enjoy your fantasy.  

Tough choice definitely. Even more so because they are more than just things you BOUGHT, they are things you partly made and earned.  Definitely do not accept less than what they are worth.  I'm sure if you post them here, you'll be able to send them all on to good homes.

DEFINITELY play them all before you let them go.  Don't let one go if it is THE one.

My Archtop Studio is one of those. Sure it's '59 burst and from 93, but it is SO right. It just feels right. It IS right. No other guitar I own is that right.

Update.......problems on the property end related to the association fees.  

This makes it tougher as I was interested in that specific place because of its proximity to the water.   

We are still on for him to fly up on Wednesday.  I really don’t want to sell the guitars without a property to immediately sink the funds into. Otherwise I fear I would just convert them to alimony payments and I’d rather burn the fucking things.

Hopefully I will get this sorted in a few days.  

19 minutes ago, mirrorimij said:

This makes it tougher as I was interested in that specific place because of its proximity to the water.   

We are still on for him to fly up on Wednesday.  I really don’t want to sell the guitars without a property to immediately sink the funds into. Otherwise I fear I would just convert them to alimony payments and I’d rather burn the fucking things.

Solution:

Belize Beachfront, work remotely = No alimony.

62498BC6-FEAE-4F81-BE59-E0937FB75ED5.jpeg

Association fees SUCK. I'd never move into a place with a cost that might increase and one has no potential of ever paying off. It's like renting instead of buying, only you don't feel hit as hard because the cost isn't as high as rent, but it's still a slow drain on your wallet. It's like buying and renting at the same time. Is a front gate and community pool really worth that extra expense? Heck, buy a bigger lot and build your own gate to keep door-knockers away, but don't pay the blood-sucking association which will try to run your life. 

33 minutes ago, mirrorimij said:

The guitar gods are whispering to you.  

Archived