Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Frusciante rejoins RHCP

Disturber

I feel bad for Josh Klinghoffer for giving 10 years of his life to a signed act to get thrown under the bus when John Frusciante returns to the band. Yes, it will be the classic lineup that the promoters want, the band will be able to ask for large sums of money from the promoter, and charge their fans for tickets/merchandise/meet & greet since the old business model of the music business concerning file sharing/streaming/royalties isn't paying all signed recording artists the correct amount of money that's owed to them. 

Guitar George

56 minutes ago, Hamer95USA said:

I feel bad for Josh Klinghoffer for giving 10 years of his life to a signed act to get thrown under the bus when John Frusciante returns to the band. Yes, it will be the classic lineup that the promoters want, the band will be able to ask for large sums of money from the promoter, and charge their fans for tickets/merchandise/meet & greet since the old business model of the music business concerning file sharing/streaming/royalties isn't paying all signed recording artists the correct amount of money that's owed to them. 

Guitar George

Yeah, I agree about throwing Josh K under the bus. It seems like they could have worked arrangements with two guitarists, wouldn't have been that big a deal.

I honestly never got the cult of Fruschiante.   Cool guitarist with a different thing than the other grunge dudes at the time?  Absolutely - 100% agree.  And at the time, it was a nice little break in all the sludgy, down-tuned riffing going on.  But there are people out there who will knife you if you call him anything less than one of the greatest guitarists ever. 

8 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

....call him anything less than one of the greatest guitarists ever. 

Well he was pretty good at playing out of tune or off pitch.

5 hours ago, Hamer95USA said:

I feel bad for Josh Klinghoffer for giving 10 years of his life to a signed act to get thrown under the bus when John Frusciante returns to the band.

He's the Bruce Kulick of RHCP.

6 hours ago, tommy p said:

I have everything through Blood Sugar Sex Magik, so I'm good.  OK, I have One Hot Minute too but I don't play it.

I'm that weirdo who's favorite album was One Hot Minute.  The breakdown in the middle of "Coffee Shop" is what opened my mind to funk and, now that I think about it, 70s R&B pop like the Jackson 5.  "My Friends" is also where I learned to love the octave slide. 

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about - from the comments section of that RS article:

And I thought nothing could match Gilmour doing a last tour after Live 8. Then RHCP's do this! Thank you Universe!

Congratulations from Israel, last night we couldn't believe it when we heard the news.. Thanks to Josh Klinghoffer But the legend is back…. It's like Freddie Mercury will come back from where he is and re-join Queen instead of Adam Laembert.

Man, that really does kinda suck. I mean, assume Frusciante said "I want to come back", but who knows how it really came to be. Maybe Klingenhoffer decided it was time to go? He did just release his first solo album this year, just a few weeks ago.  Being a "replacement" guitarist is always a very hard thing to be.  Having the rabid Frusciante fans always making comparisons has to be tiring as hell.

Look at the Rolling Stones: Ronnie Wood was not made an FULL member until 1990, 15 YEARS after he joined.  Then there's the crap with the Eagles and the members who joined later.

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

I'm that weirdo who's favorite album was One Hot Minute.  The breakdown in the middle of "Coffee Shop" is what opened my mind to funk and, now that I think about it, 70s R&B pop like the Jackson 5.  "My Friends" is also where I learned to love the octave slide. 

I don't mean to be too hard on One Hot Minute.  I really liked Jane's Addiction with Navarro, but RHCP with him just didn't quite work for me.  Some decent songs on that one but when I decide to listen to a Chili Peppers album, 75% of the time it's Uplift Mofo Party Plan for me.

They had my attention with Mother's Milk. I consider it still a nice listenable album. I bought the the previous albums too, those didn't get me (some songs on Uplift Mofo Party Plan were okay). Got Blood Sugar Sex Magik and One Hot Minute too. As Luc Salla said before, Frusciante was different than the regular grunge guitarist in the 90's. Then they got Dave Navarro in, who was with Jane's Addiction (I really disliked them). I liked the opener of One Hot Minute, "Warped". Then I saw them live to the One Hot Minute tour with Navarro and they were boring and I grew to feel annoyed by Kiedis' vocals. Haven't listened to their stuff in many years (as with most of the music I listened to in the 90's). This news isn't really interesting for me.

18 hours ago, LucSulla said:

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about - from the comments section of that RS article:

It's bigger. WTF is a "Gilmour"? 😅😅

I had a drummer friend of mine turn me on to Red Hot Chili Peppers as well as Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Exodus, and a bunch of other bands when I moved to Hayward, CA in the late '80s. I was grateful for the musical exposure of CDs and concerts that I attended with my friend, our musical jams together as musicians, and diversifying my taste of music. My take on the Red Hot Chili Peppers as I've grown to like them back in the '90s. Hillel Slovak, their original guitarist, laid down the ground work for their sound, but passed away from a drug overdose. John Frusciante took it to the next level and was probably the most successful guitarist in their lineup due to his songwriting and playing ability which fits the band's sound & playing style perfectly. Navarro & Klinghoffer were good players, but by that time I stopped listening to them since the songs that they recorded with RHCP didn't appeal to me. They also auditioned other guitarists from different genres like Dewayne "Blackbird" McKnight from P-Funk who were the original funk/rock pioneers. Having John Frusciante back in the band, sober, focused, and wanting to create new music RHCP is a step forward for them. They have a catalog of songs in their repertoire and can continue to tour just playing their past hits and still come out with new music. 

Guitar George

Archived