Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Victoria Silver Sonic Speaker Recommendations

shankyboy

I snagged a Victoria Silver Sonic on Reverb during their Black Friday specials. The amp looks practically brand new. I had previously played one at a local store and loved how it sounded. I played it all last week while practicing at home and it sounded equally fantastic. I played it for the first time at a gig last Friday and it sounded nothing like the amp I had been practicing with. The speaker broke up WAY too early with the volume only being on 4 to the point of sounding like I had a Fuzz pedal and it sounded to ice-picky (for lack of a better term). I don't know what the power rating is for the stock speaker but clearly I need something more efficient. I spent the weekend playing it through the speakers I have in other amps. It sounded considerably better thru the Jensen P12N that I have in my Deluxe Reverb but then I paired it with my Dr Z (Z-Best) 2X10 cabinet and that was the sound I was looking for. 

The Dr Z speakers are 70 watt, Ceramic. I know I won't nail that sound with a 12" replacement but I am wondering if I will get close get close with a 12", 70 Watt Ceramic replacement?

If yo

20 hours ago, shankyboy said:

I snagged a Victoria Silver Sonic on Reverb during their Black Friday specials. The amp looks practically brand new. I had previously played one at a local store and loved how it sounded. I played it all last week while practicing at home and it sounded equally fantastic. I played it for the first time at a gig last Friday and it sounded nothing like the amp I had been practicing with. The speaker broke up WAY too early with the volume only being on 4 to the point of sounding like I had a Fuzz pedal and it sounded to ice-picky (for lack of a better term). I don't know what the power rating is for the stock speaker but clearly I need something more efficient. I spent the weekend playing it through the speakers I have in other amps. It sounded considerably better thru the Jensen P12N that I have in my Deluxe Reverb but then I paired it with my Dr Z (Z-Best) 2X10 cabinet and that was the sound I was looking for. 

The Dr Z speakers are 70 watt, Ceramic. I know I won't nail that sound with a 12" replacement but I am wondering if I will get close get close with a 12", 70 Watt Ceramic replacement?

Victoria's Website Shows a WGS Vintage Lead 80 in it. 

Discontinued, but WGS sells leftover and discontinued products on Reverb. 

https://reverb.com/item/30277475-wgs-british-lead-8-80w

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with the ET65, ET90, Reaper or HP Reaper. 

11 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

If yo

Victoria's Website Shows a WGS Vintage Lead 80 in it. 

Discontinued, but WGS sells leftover and discontinued products on Reverb. 

https://reverb.com/item/30277475-wgs-british-lead-8-80w

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with the ET65, ET90, Reaper or HP Reaper. 

It's a Eminence speaker. 1258 which looks to be a 75 watt speaker. No way that should be breaking up as early as it does on a 20 watt amp. 

3 minutes ago, murkat said:

Mark Is very approachable when it comes to his amps, new or used.

Give Victoria a shout, He may have something laying around at the shop that will work....

I reached out to him. He told me to swap out the V6 tube with a AT7 and check the bias on the power tubes to make sure they are around 25 - 30 mA 

1 hour ago, JGale said:

WGS ET-90 fer sure!

Eminence Red Fang if you can find one.

I'm kind of partial to the Weber 12F150 for big American swag.

I am currently running a Red Fang and a CV-65 together. I asked Eminence if they would make me a CV65 10" and they said the RF10 is really close to it. The RF and the CV65 sound really great together. If your looking for less breakup I would take the 65 over the RF. 

@shankyboy I have some speakers that are collecting dust, I'll see what I have laying about. 

Gents, thanks for all your help. I think I fixed the issue. When I opened up the back of the amp to do a little poking around, I noticed that the previous owner must have done some speaker swapping and instead of soldering the wires back on the speaker lugs, they added some cheesy push on connectors which practically fell off the speaker terminals when I tugged the wire. I soldered the wires back on the lugs and I swapped out the AX7 in V6 for an AT7 like Mark suggested and VOILA, the amp sounds just like I want it to. 

On 12/17/2019 at 8:53 AM, JGale said:

I'm kind of partial to the Weber 12F150 for big American swag.

After fixing the speaker connection and swapping out the tube, I played it for several hours and was still not quite satisfied with how bright the speaker sounded. Ted Weber has nailed it twice for me with recommendations for my SF Vibrolux and my RI '68 Princeton so I did reach out to him and he suggested the Chicago 12 which is the 12F150 but a little warmer sounding. Placed my order yesterday. :) 

Archived