Hamer Fan Club Message Center

David Lee Roth To Open On KISS Farewell Tour In 2020

crunchee

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RobB said:

Why, only the darlings of the corporate convention parties, TRAIN! They look tho fweatening in the thecond picthure...

I got a great laugh outa that one!! I’ve only seen them at Hospital convention party’s courtesy of an old girl friend! 

25 minutes ago, cynic said:

As similar as they look, the lower photo is Big Wreck.

Get it?

I got it even though I didn't know second band's name. I still love DLR-era VH, but the guy really is his own worst enemy.

29 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

You are not insinuating that there might be a clash of egos between Roth and Gene Simmons, are you?

If DLR is in the room, there will be clashing.  Love the guy, and I'm in the tiny minority that believes he's still as good as he ever was in VH, but it just doesn't sell as well without the rock star look with the long hair and bared chest.

The Big Train Wreck will be Roth trying to cope with being an opener.  

9 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I saw DLR during one of his solo tours in the mid ‘90s. He was actually quite good and as usual, very entertaining.

Saw VH during their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tours, and DLR's first solo tour (Vai and Sheehan!). Diamond Dave screamed and ran around a lot, but I don't recall much actual singing. And recent clips are just scary - not only is his voice completely fried but he no longer has 'the look', which makes it.....creepy.

And Kiss had about a 6 month window between the first 'Alive' and the release of Rush's 2112. By the time 'Destroyer' came out a few months later I had already moved on. 'Alive' was a great album but nothing after it caught my ear. And that's 45 years ago.

9 hours ago, cynic said:

it just doesn't sell as well without the rock star look with the long hair and bared chest.

30 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

he no longer has 'the look',

Get me a ticket. I’ll go with and unbutton my shirt for yuse guys. 

No touching though.

11 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I saw DLR during one of his solo tours in the mid ‘90s. He was actually quite good and as usual, very entertaining.

I saw the Eat 'em and Smile tour. It was madness. Vai, Bisonette and that speedy bassplayer that looks like he has no humour. Roth was flying above the crowd on a long wire. Everyone wearing spandex. It was the late 80's boiled down to it's pure essence.

Just great. We will never see anything like it again. Ohh, wait the only thing I think that could come close in kitch is the two shows I've seen with Scissor Sisters.

Roth will be OK with being an opening act.  He does not have to worry about the cost of putting on the big show, and he will be playing to big audiences.  The KISS audience became the Van Halen audience 40 years ago.  He will be playing to his fans, so he will be able to screw up lyrics and be forgiven.  All he has to do is show up, and people will tell him he is great.  Roth will have a good time. 

I wonder if the guy who threw the quarter at him will be at the show.  And if he'll bring his girlfriend again.

I wish Roth had been the opener on the two shows I saw.  I got the painter at one (oddly entertaining, I must admit), and at the second, the painter wasn't there.  No announcement, no early start.

16 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I did too! It was the Skyscraper tour. Billy Sheehan was replaced by Matt Bisonnette which I was disappointed about. I wanted to see some Billy Sheehan bass shredding like he did when I saw him in Talas opening for Yngwie Malmsteen in San Jose in the late '80s. DLR and his band played a great show. He even rode out above the audience on a surf board. Steve Vai wailed on guitar and can understand why the reason he was asked to join DLR as it was a big pair of shoes to come in after Van Halen. Steve's songwriting, playing, and stage presence held his own on both the Eat "Em and Smile and Skyscraper CDs and tours. I didn't like Steve Vai's contribution on the Whitesnake CD that came out afterwards. I didn't feel that his musical or playing style didn't fit in with Whitesnake and felt that John Sykes should have been in the band or recording session. For Steve Vai, that was a big payday for him and I don't mean that in a negative/snarky way or being hateful towards Steve Vai. 

Guitar George

3 hours ago, SSII x 2 said:

"... Eddie’s got his own story to tell — not mine to tell it.”

Can't wait to hear that one!

I hate to think about this, but I'm hoping EVH's cancer has gone into remission and is able to tour again. If not, Van Halen will be out of the music business other than his music gear sales/endorsements/merchandise sales which was a smart move on his part. Maybe Alex or Wolfgang will go on to tour with other bands or start their own thing. Lots of younger guys who could sing/act like David Lee Roth and play as well as EVH.  All of the musicians from the 70's & 80's have reached the age of 60 to 70 years old and will either quit touring/retire or pass away from natural death/disease/etc.

Guitar George

Archived