Hamer Fan Club Message Center

David Lee Roth To Open On KISS Farewell Tour In 2020

crunchee

unfortunately Ed's ill health, has kept the band from being able to opportune the very small window of time they had left to make the big $... Dave was very patient - waiting and watching the clock - doing other things - keeping the name out there.... he's kind of between a rock and a hard place because the window for all of them is finite..... it's unfortunate - the band wasted a lot of good years and it looks like the ravages of time/fate/past will write the final act for them as a band.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Dasein said:

unfortunately Ed's ill health, has kept the band from being able to opportune the very small window of time they had left to make the big $... Dave was very patient - waiting and watching the clock - doing other things - keeping the name out there.... he's kind of between a rock and a hard place because the window for all of them is finite..... it's unfortunate - the band wasted a lot of good years and it looks like the ravages of time/fate/past will write the final act for them as a band.

Physically, DLR seems like a VERY healthy person despite all his "Jack Daniels, cigarettes, and big greasy cheeseburgers" diet brags over the years.  He's lost it vocally but he obviously enjoys being out there.  I hope I have his energy at his age - I sure don't have it now!  It's a sad situation for Ed, but he's probably got hours and hours of unreleased music stashed away.  He could release some of that or just be a studio recording artist - he doesn't need to go on the road.  It's just sad to see such a once mighty band just fizzle out.

On 12/19/2019 at 6:44 AM, tommy p said:

Physically, DLR seems like a VERY healthy person despite all his "Jack Daniels, cigarettes, and big greasy cheeseburgers" diet brags over the years.  He's lost it vocally but he obviously enjoys being out there.  I hope I have his energy at his age - I sure don't have it now!  It's a sad situation for Ed, but he's probably got hours and hours of unreleased music stashed away.  He could release some of that or just be a studio recording artist - he doesn't need to go on the road.  It's just sad to see such a once mighty band just fizzle out.

Has to end sometime. Rush is done because one of their members can't cut it physically anymore. Did they "fizzle out" or did things just run their course for a group of men in their 60s?

On 12/18/2019 at 12:32 PM, Hamer95USA said:

I did too! It was the Skyscraper tour. Billy Sheehan was replaced by Matt Bisonnette which I was disappointed about. I wanted to see some Billy Sheehan bass shredding like he did when I saw him in Talas opening for Yngwie Malmsteen in San Jose in the late '80s. DLR and his band played a great show. He even rode out above the audience on a surf board. Steve Vai wailed on guitar and can understand why the reason he was asked to join DLR as it was a big pair of shoes to come in after Van Halen. Steve's songwriting, playing, and stage presence held his own on both the Eat "Em and Smile and Skyscraper CDs and tours. I didn't like Steve Vai's contribution on the Whitesnake CD that came out afterwards. I didn't feel that his musical or playing style didn't fit in with Whitesnake and felt that John Sykes should have been in the band or recording session. For Steve Vai, that was a big payday for him and I don't mean that in a negative/snarky way or being hateful towards Steve Vai. 

Guitar George

I saw Roth on both the Eat Em and Smile and Skyscraper tours.  Both were great, though with Sheehan, the fret antics were cooler.  I feel like Vai coaxed some of Roth's best singing out of him.  

That's funny. Rush is done because Neil can't perform up to HIS standards. But Neil at 1/2 speed is still better than 95% of the drummers out there. It's a little sad they couldn't/wouldn't transition into something a little less demanding, but there's something to be said for going out while still on top of your game. It's OK they're NOT doing endless 'farewell' tours.

Personally I think a dialed-back Rush would have kicked ass.

Geddy and Alex will still do something together.  Rush could record new music if Neil has kept up with his playing since "retirement."  He was always looking for new ways to play.  Imagine Neil Peart going to someone for drum lessons, but he did.  It would be logical for him to explore new music that he feels comfortable playing.  The three members of Rush are still friends and talk to each other or see each other.  One has to wonder if they ever jam when they go to Neil's house. 

The last comments I could find from Geddy Lee were that Neil has retired from drumming, period.

Cue "Losing It":

The dancer slows her frantic pace
In pain and desperation
Her aching limbs and downcast face
Aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire, her lungs on fire
With just the briefest pause
The flooding through her memory
The echoes of old applause

She limps across the floor
And closes her bedroom door

The writer stares with glassy eyes
Defies the empty page
His beard is white, his face is lined
And streaked with tears of rage

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow
With passion and precision
But now his mind is dark and dulled
By sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door
Where the sun will rise no more

Some are born to move the world
To live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about
The things we'd like to be

Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee

For you, the blind who once could see
Bell tolls for thee, bell tolls for thee

• 1 month later...

I saw Bob Hope when he was 90.  Bob could not remember his jokes, so he had a guy stand behind him telling him what lines to say.  It was really Bob Hope, and it felt good being in the building with the legendary showman.  It was sad, though.  If saying you saw a big name entertainer in concert is your thing, well you take what you can get. 

In 25 years Roth is going to be in that Bob Hope situation with someone telling him which scream to scream. 

7 hours ago, cynic said:

Anyone in the Manchester, NH area attend the show last night?  We need reviews :)

edited to add this: 😶

Didn’t think that was horrible. Have definitely seen worse videos of Roth lately. Not at all saying it was his best. But the backing band was decent, no EVH or Vai on guitar, but good enough for an opening band. Granted I am listening to this via my headphones from my iPad while my wife watches J Lo prance around in leather chaps...

The internet is hilarious.  Yeah, his voice may not be there anymore, and he doesn’t have the look and the moves he had in the 80s, but by all means, if you have the wealth or the fame, or the record sales he has, go ahead and pile on.

14 hours ago, Cary said:

The internet is hilarious.  Yeah, his voice may not be there anymore, and he doesn’t have the look and the moves he had in the 80s, but by all means, if you have the wealth or the fame, or the record sales he has, go ahead and pile on.

When I saw VH in high school or just after, in the 80s, they were terrible. This actually sounded okay, but if the only way anyone can have an opinion is if they can do better themselves, then several million football fans will have to shut up. And I'll need to revise my opinion of the '78 Fiat I once owned, as I can't actually manufacture a better car :D

23 hours ago, cynic said:

Anyone in the Manchester, NH area attend the show last night?  We need reviews :)

edited to add this: 😶

I wasn't there, but for some reason,  they were talking about it on the Boston sports talk this morning...

Somebody commented that it took them like twenty seconds to recognize they were playing Panama,

They also had... you know when people pay a celeb to record a half a$$ed birthday greeting for their

loved ones?   well,  they were playing this clip of an obviously smashed vince neil,    omg,   sad or

hilarious,  couldn't figure out what.   

45 minutes ago, polara said:

'78 Fiat I once owned

5 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Now the image in my mind is a 65 year old DLR pushing a 78 Fiat with a flat tire up a hill.

A funny and true story:

When I lived in Germany while in the USAF, a friend needed me to pick up and bring his car to him. It was a mid-late ‘70s Fiat sedan. I got in it and was headed down the road. I glanced down to check the speed and my heart jumped up into my throat and I immediately got off the accelerator, laid on the brakes and pulled over. I thought I came close to blowing his engine and couldn’t understand how I could possibly had been going so fast! Then as I looked down at the dash again, I realized as the car was fully stopped, engine off, the tach and speedo was was resting fully to the right, not the left! Turned out the car was either an Israeli or Greek delivery car, and the gauges read from right to left! 

E97B54CD-AA08-4CBE-AED7-18BF8A950B06.jpeg

Archived