Hamer Fan Club Message Center

There Can Be Only One

scottcald

9 hours ago, sixesandsevens said:

Maybe if life had taken another turn and I was given some kind of exclusive endorsement deal.

You and me both.  But i also remember the old days when you'd go see the endorsers live and they either never played it or maybe it came out for a song.  

I have only played and gigged Warwick basses since 97. I briefly had a MM Stingray but barely touched it. Warwicks have always felt very natural to me and fitted my style of playing, anything from rock and metal to jazz and folk music/singer songwriter type of stuff. I would be comfortable using anything and I am would not limit myself to anything but I am just so happy with my basses and will most likely never buy one again.

As for guitars I have over the years had a few and I am trying not to gather too much stuff around me (I would happily never stop getting new guitars) so from that perspective Hamer has been the brand of the best quality and value for money for me. I could happily just cut it down to one or two Hamers. I do quite like Ibanez as well. 

I only own three guitars, all Hamers, two of them purchased online because a Hamer USA guitar is the only thing I'd trust buying without first playing. I'm sure there are other guitars just as good to buy sight unseen, but I probably couldn't afford them. Frankly, I don't really need more guitars, as the three I have can cover most any style my limited talent could ever play... Speaking of buying (or not buying) more guitars, I was looking at Hamers on Reverb recently. Are Hamer prices rising? I know the $350 days are gone, but it's getting to where good deals in general are disappearing. It's as if USA Hamer prices may actually reach their actual value someday. I'd like to get a Junior someday, but those are no longer a bargain. 

5 hours ago, FGJ said:

Speaking of buying (or not buying) more guitars, I was looking at Hamers on Reverb recently. Are Hamer prices rising? I know the $350 days are gone, but it's getting to where good deals in general are disappearing.

As it has been said here on the HFC many times before: 'Askin' ain't sellin''.  Especially during the Holidays.  The actual price that the guitar sold for is a much more reliable indicator of value/worth, though it's not easy to find out if something sold on Reverb at the full asking price, or at a lower 'offer' price.

In core, I’m on Hamer. Then there are my lovely Scheithauer Bo Diddleys and a Hoyer Explorer. If it were to name one brand, it certainly would have to be Scheithauer since they are my own design and ideas. I’m just watching them on the hangers next to me. Killing!

My personal takes on the Red Special theme.

When I got interested in guitars, I was mostly interested in Fender and Gibson, because that was what most of the guitarists I listened to used. I always had an interest for the specs and learned that the parts often were made by other companies who produced for different brands (almost like in car manufacturing). So, when I read reviews of Hamer guitars, I learned that they also used hardware by Schaller (who, in the 80's and 90's made hardware for just anybody, including Fender and Gibson), Dimarzio, even had almost the same cases as Gibson. Fender's Strat and P and J Basses had a classic design, they were comfortable to play. The Strat tremolo design was just ingenious. Gibson had some cool designs (Explorer, Firebird, LP double cutaway, RD, L-5, Chet Atkins CE, Victory). Hamer was kind of inbetween with their guitars. I liked Kramer a lot in 1984/85, but they were kind of inconsistent in their specs, I didn't like the pointy headstock, their flashy colours. So, when Hamer had an ad with a cherry Prototype with Kahler, a Scarab Bass, two Scarab's, two Phantom A5's, a white Blitz with FR and something I really wanted by Gibson (they came close with the XPL Les Paul DC 400, but it had a Kahler, I started with a Kahler on a Fender Lead III, but felt uncomfortable with it fast and switched to a Kramer Focus 3000 with original FR), the Hamer Steve Stevens. While I also loved the FB II and the Chaparral, I became obsessed wanting a Steve Stevens. Got one in 1988. Hamer was the brand for me for the next few years. But when Fender took over the distribution for Floyd Rose I got interested in that brand again. Gibson I still followed a bit too, but they didn't get me with most of their stuff since the mid-90's, they got quite expensive too. My interest in Hamer guitars was refreshed when they could be had for low bids on ebay and I got one of each model I always wanted (FB II, Chaparral Max Bass, Elite Cali with maple body), a short time later I joined this group and it still keeps my interest in this brand high. Now, I am not  somebody who can spend big money on guitars, nor am I a collector. And I am not a flashy player at all. Still like Hamer, even though this company is gone. I like some of the things Fender brings out, but often enough, it is the stuff that gets discontinued after a while (Fender Am Dlx Zone Bass, Am Std. Jaguar Bass, Elite Dimension HH), but most Fender stuff I like was made around 1998-2005 (and 1982-83), the Hamer stuff I enjoy is from around 1985-1995, the Gibson stuff I like is from around 1976-1986. That is most of the stuff I like. Either playing guitar or bass, it is one of these brands (Gibson not that much, and if so it is more their"unusual" models, Q80 Bass, RD Artist - guitar and bass, Chet Atkins CE).

On 12/19/2019 at 3:49 PM, gorch said:

In core, I’m on Hamer. Then there are my lovely Scheithauer Bo Diddleys and a Hoyer Explorer. If it were to name one brand, it certainly would have to be Scheithauer since they are my own design and ideas. I’m just watching them on the hangers next to me. Killing!

My personal takes on the Red Special theme.

It never gets old looking at that pair. 

I’d pick MusicMan if had to go with one. There’s enough variety and they are all great IMHO 

I love hearing all these and each person's reasons for their choices.  Years ago (the 80s) I played in a band with a guy who had a couple of Jackson soloists, and they played wonderfully.  The action was insanely low.   I always had a hard time bonding with their headstock though.  

Practically, my Shishkov.  I go through hot and cold streaks with every other guitar I have.  That one always feels good and just works.  Obviously, had I not gotten into Hamers, I wouldn't own it, so there is a Hamer connection there.  

But I'm not always practical.  I really love Jackson's and Charvels.  I think it's almost a comfort food thing; they remind me of when I was a kid and watching MTV all day.  By age, I should be more into 90s music, but I found music really young.  By the time I was 7, I was way into all the pop metal of the time.  If I was to get into collecting guitars, it would definitely be Jackson USA and Charvel USA custom shop stuff. 

So if I was making a living as a guitarist, probably Shishkov.  If I was just buying stuff that makes me smile when I pull it out of the case, Jackson/Charvel.  

On 12/18/2019 at 5:29 AM, Disturber said:

When I started in the early 80s I bought a Hondo JR copy, 

But still I have a bunch of Hamer's, and only one LP. And most likely that is the way It will stay.

Nyeah buddy, I sure wish I had MY Hondo back. 🤢😂

For the most in one brand, it's Hamer here as well, but also a handful of Gibsons. 

ETA: Almost forgot the topic... That's a tough one. I've got two Gibbys that I couldn't replace with any Hamer I've ever played, and I've got a few Hamers I wouldn't be able to replace either. Based on quantities of each then, I guess it would have to be Hamer. Thankfully we are not bound to this silliness.

I still have my black Hondo II LP Custom copy.  It’s a piece of shit compared to starter guitars these days.   I loved it and played the crap out of it, but knew it wasn’t anything I’d play forever, even as a kid.

9 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I loved it and played the crap out of it, but knew it wasn’t anything I’d play forever have my black Hondo II LP Custom copy. , even as a kid.

I'm right there with you on this. Rock star aspirations abounded!

Archived