Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Any HFCers With Recent Pedalboard Re-dos?

RobB

I'll start:

IMG_0271.jpg

Three separate, parallel loops through the Blender V3. The Talisman Plate Reverb (upper left) goes through the amps FX loop. Empty space on bottom left is for a Splawn SS channel-switch pedal. Everything powered by a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Mondo. Will need a bit more tweaking this weekend at volume, but all three loops sound clean and clear so far.

Loop 1:  Flanger

Loop 2: Phase/Belle Epoch Echo

Loop 3: Echophonic Jr/Boss chorus. 

Geoff, yes, the parallel function allows for some truly filthy combinations. I like using phase/flange/echo for warbley sounds. Another cool feature is the reverse phase switches on ch 2/3. Comes In handy when the modulation effects are sounding thin and not, well, in phase. 

It has a few more tricks up the old sleeve, but my thumbs are tired  

It wasn't a complete re-do, but I did have to cut a new top shelf when I replaced my MXR-sized paisley Rat clone with my DIY triangle Muff.  I've squoze just about as many pedals into my 30-year-old 18" x 12" pedalboard as I possibly can. 

N5VOgTQ.jpg

Any more pedals and I'd need some sort of multi-bypass-looper (and a bigger board).  As it is, tap-dancing is minimized by keeping often-used pedals next to each other.  For example, I can switch from chorus to flanger (or chorus to tremolo) with  single stomp, hitting two pedals at once.

Everything is powered by a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ under the deck.  Pedal order is a bit compromised in order to physically fit the pedals in.  For example, the tuner's in kind of a weird position in the audio chain, but it fits tight up against the phaser.  In the case of the dirt boxes, pedal order isn't critical because I rarely use more than one at a time.  Signal flow is (starting at top right) Triangle Muff, Stratoblaster, BB Preamp, Mini Pitchblack, Phase 95, then down to the CE-2, BF-2, Grand Canyon and finally the TR-2.

What is are the best top three pedal cable brands/options on a "normal" budget? I have Lava solderless, perhaps five six years old. They really suck as the randomly loses contact when ever they feel like it, so I have to unscrew - fix the problem - screw back. Hate these things.

I've always used George L's. They've always been reliable and sturdy, though only if you're meticulous about assembling them properly. A SHARP razor knife is essential, as well as a hard cutting surface. The right-angle plugs can be a little tricky, but if you cut the cable cleanly and make the right bend-angle when screwing down the cap, there should be no problems. I use a small dab of the weakest Loctite glue on the last threads when assembling.

Additionally, a cable tester is a life-saver when building cables. I've got an old, 9v Whirlwind tester that also does XLR and RCA cables. After you build a George L, check it in the tester. Wiggle each side and yank on the cable. If both connectors stay green, you're gold. If it's intermittent, start over.

Warwick has a new line of Rockboard cables that are supposedly very high-quality, but I've got so many feet of George L's in different colors I'm loathe to invest in more patch cable. I AM intrigued by their pedal power cables, though. The ad copy says they are shielded more like audio cables and are quieter, so I may try them out on my travel board.

11 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

pedalboardFROMhell.jpg.5741e7c38b72f229cd843050f6014955.jpg

The blue one, is it a Mooer compressor? Are you happy with it? I’m having the same and am not clear about my mind of it yet. Using it rarely.

I’m kind of doing one at the moment, I’ve never had one before - I’ll stick some pics on presently.

I’ve amassed a selection of pedals over the years, and collared an Aclam board - which is Velcroless - which is probably a bit small for what I need to put my selection on there. I’m looking at maybe sticking a switcher on there and something to separate stuff that should go in the loop rather than in front. It’s all for fun really.

I always used a few loose stomp boxes in the past, no board. But I want a board that includes a Boss TU-2 Tuner, Dunlop GCB-95 Wah, Dunlop Rotovibe, those I already have. I also want a Neo Ventilator II and a MXR Carbon Copy. I also have a Boss CH-3 and a Boss Compressor, but I have the feeling the Boss buffers alter the sound, so I want to stay away from using those pedals. The board, maybe a pedaltrain board, should include the amp's footswitch (either a Mesa Mark V:35 or Marshall 6100). The Marshall doesn't have reverb, I used a Boss RV in the past, but somehow I prefer the Marshall sound without reverb.

Great pictures but way too busy for me. I'm in the midst of minimizing mine. Before pics:The top is the acoustic rig and the bottom is the electric rig. I'll update with the after pics. I definitely need a smaller power supply.IMG_20191230_100734357 (1024x376).jpgIMG_20191230_100833752 (1024x380).jpg

I have a simple baby board in work...awaiting two Lovepedals to arrive.The dirt will change, I am sure. Using a simple bamboo cutting board for the board itself. Pics once complete.

Archived