Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Any HFCers With Recent Pedalboard Re-dos?

RobB

32 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

I have been waiting to buy that one. That or a standard Kalamazoo to pair with my OD11. 

You will love it. The OD11 side and the Kzoo side are different from the standalone versions in that they share the power supply. As a result, they sag more.

So they are a bit different...and yet still AWESOME!

Earlier in the year, I almost finished updating my bass pedal board.  Darkglass and GK preamps and the H9 controlled by the MS3 switcher. The H9 & GK used too much power, so I had to house the OEM power supplies in skinny metal enclosures and hide them under the shelf.  There's also a patch bay for the mic mechanic and unfinished I/O for the pedal board hidden just underneath the shelf. I built the board from parts I bought at Home Depot. I made all the cables too.  Almost any bass sound was possible using combinations of the stomp boxes in MS3 plus the overdrives. The H9 was madness...for example at the end of the drum break in Funk 49, I had a string of tempo synced long delays and verbs from the MS3 into H9 blackhole verb . It sounded like an explosion with just a tap on the bass. Anyways, it always pissed off the drummer since I coordinated that bit with the guitar player.  He let it ring out, then went into his lick. Good times and no wonder I was fired from that band.  I never completely finished the board and since I've retired from bass gigging. A Fractal or Helix would have probably worked too but I loved having access to the knobs on my drive pedals on the gig. 

It would not take much to convert this into a guitar pedal board.

p2UrD0p.jpg 

2 hours ago, Devnor said:

Earlier in the year, I almost finished updating my bass pedal board.  Darkglass and GK preamps and the H9 controlled by the MS3 switcher. The H9 & GK used too much power, so I had to house the OEM power supplies in skinny metal enclosures and hide them under the shelf.  There's also a patch bay for the mic mechanic and unfinished I/O for the pedal board hidden just underneath the shelf. I built the board from parts I bought at Home Depot. I made all the cables too.  Almost any bass sound was possible using combinations of the stomp boxes in MS3 plus the overdrives. The H9 was madness...for example at the end of the drum break in Funk 49, I had a string of tempo synced long delays and verbs from the MS3 into H9 blackhole verb . It sounded like an explosion with just a tap on the bass. Anyways, it always pissed off the drummer since I coordinated that bit with the guitar player.  He let it ring out, then went into his lick. Good times and no wonder I was fired from that band.  I never completely finished the board and since I've retired from bass gigging. A Fractal or Helix would have probably worked too but I loved having access to the knobs on my drive pedals on the gig. 

It would not take much to convert this into a guitar pedal board.

p2UrD0p.jpg 

Side question - how well does the Moog Sirin emulate the original Taurus synth sounds?

not a pedalboard redo, but I found a inexpensive storage cab that is good for stashing pedals not in rotation.  It's an IKEA Helmer ($40) and each drawer holds 9 Boss-sized pedals in 3x3 orientation (it holds 6 of the Wampler double-sized pedals) . I'm always swapping out pedals (short attention span while jamming at home with Youtube or Spotify), and this is a little nicer than the big Amazon flat boxes in the other room where i used to store the spares.  Not the sturdiest, but it has casters which is convenient.

20191231_160552.png

On 12/30/2019 at 7:33 PM, killerteddybear said:

Side question - how well does the Moog Sirin emulate the original Taurus synth sounds?

Most could not tell any difference.  IMO side by side, the original Taurus filter has more character. I have a taurus 1.  The actual taurus preset, the one you hear at the beginning of Rush's Xanadu, is not quite there on Sirin or Minitaur. You can get very close. Otherwise the typical droney stuff is the same.  With a good PA, it will shake the club.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:25 PM, stonge said:

not a pedalboard redo, but I found a inexpensive storage cab that is good for stashing pedals not in rotation.  It's an IKEA Helmer ($40) and each drawer holds 9 Boss-sized pedals in 3x3 orientation (it holds 6 of the Wampler double-sized pedals) . I'm always swapping out pedals (short attention span while jamming at home with Youtube or Spotify), and this is a little nicer than the big Amazon flat boxes in the other room where i used to store the spares.  Not the sturdiest, but it has casters which is convenient.

20191231_160552.png

IKEA Helmer - Build for pedals! B)

I haven't been around much lately - this thread will give me a great opportunity to be as annoying as ever. Getting my pedalboards back in order is one of the tasks on my New Year's to-do list! 

The main board for my home studio is based around a Carl Martin Octaswitch. Newer loop switchers have a lot more features but it still gives me a lot of options. Power is Voodoo Lab PP2+ and ISO-5.

spacer.png

Here's how I'll be wiring it up.

Pre Octaswitch (since this version has no tuner output) - a new Peterson Strobostomp HD is arriving on Wednesday to replace my trusty old blue tuner

Loop 1 - Boss OC-2 Octave, Lovepedal Rubber Chicken, Keeley-mod Ibanez AD-9 

Loop 2 - ZVez Wah Probe (off-board)

Loop 3 - space, power, and connections set aside for two OD/fuzz/distortion pedals so I can swap them in and out. No permanent resident in this slot.

Loop 4 - Keeley Compresssor Pro, MXR 10-band EQ (the Blinder!!!)

Loop 5 - Boss volume pedal (off-board)

Loop 6 - space, power, and connections set aside for one modulation pedal. No permanent resident in this slot.

Loop 7 - TC Nova Delay

Loop 8 - TC Nova Reverb

Post-Octaswitch - TC Ditto looper and JHS Colour Box

Other options for this board include using a THD Univalve head as a tube distortion box in Loop 3, and using my rack delays and reverbs in Loops 7 and 8.  

I also have the Home Depot special. It's half-inch thick plywood (32" x 11.25") covered with Velcro. It's got two drawer handles to make it easy to pick up, and a bunch of felt pads on the bottom. (They're likely to be replaced by rubber feet.) I use this board for bass, or for jamming with friends, or for general weirdness. Power from a Voodoo Lab PP2+. 

spacer.png 

Here are all the pedals that are not already attached to something...

spacer.png\

spacer.png

And finally, a crap-ton of old George L cable and ends to wire it all up. I have another 20 or so completed cables I can cannibalize if this pile isn't enough. 

spacer.png

That's my big pile of overkill. Hell, I'm state-of-the-art if it was 2003!!! 

Archived