Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Joe Satriani guitar lesson

BubbaVO

wow, I saved it and will view later (along with my other 1700 saved vids!!)  but just the little bit I saw on that harmonics interval break down and how to flip it to the picking side was great! Thanks for posting!

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

It was all concepts, not licks.  That was cool. 

Yes.  I watched an "instructional" video from Yngwie years back.  It was just him sitting in a chair, shredding your face off to a backing track of his music.
"And this is {insert YJM song title here}..."  shred shred shred... "...and this is _______..." meedley meedley meedley....

Can't say I learned a lot from that one.

45 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Yes.  I watched an "instructional" video from Yngwie years back.  It was just him sitting in a chair, shredding your face off to a backing track of his music.
"And this is {insert YJM song title here}..."  shred shred shred... "...and this is _______..." meedley meedley meedley....

Can't say I learned a lot from that one.

Come on, he'd slow it down to 180bpm to help you keep up.  

https://entertainment.theonion.com/yngwie-malmsteen-officially-changes-middle-name-to-fuck-1819586873

Some few years ago, I saw Satriani, Yngwie and Vai in their G3 tour. Vai had a dream band, with Tony MacAlpine and Billy Sheehan on it, so they put a hell of a show.

However, at the end they jammed all together some Hendrix and some other stuff, so they took turns to improvise. Vai and Yngwie had the chops, of course, but BY FAR Satriani was the most interesting of the three.

Every time it was Satriani’s turn, he did something different, gave to his phrasing a different flavour, went to surprising places... I was so impressed by his MUSICALITY! While the other two quickly ran out of ideas and began repeating their favourite licks, Satriani kept on soloing with taste and melodic and rhythmic diversity.

I knew he was intelligently using the modes to colour his phrases every time it was his turn; but even if I did understand what he was doing, I cannot do that —not even in my wildest dreams.

In this video here, you get a glimpse of what I just mentioned, from around the 24th minute on. This guy is just one with music! 🙏🙇

I saw him on G3 back in 1997 when it was him, Vai, and Kenny Wayne Shepherd.  They jammed "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama" and "Going Down" at the end.  What was illuminating to me as a budding shredder was that Shepherd was somewhat lost on the Zappa stuff, but Vai was equally lost doing Freddie King.  Satch just fit in and did whatever great, even rhythm guitar.  Blues?  Sure.  Zappa weirdness?  Yep!  

It was impressive. 

I’ve seen Satch a few times. The first G3 with Vai and Eric Johnson, the most recent G3 with Petrucci and Phil Collin. I’ve seen his solo shows and once with Chickenfoot. The guy is a true master and I need to dust off my Satriani CDs and put them back into rotation...

Archived