Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA Scepter

On 12/22/2019 at 1:24 PM, Ed Rechts said:

Sometimes it's the guitarist that looks like it was pulled out from under the bed or from a closet

garymoorehamer.jpg.468eb83224596a0df37b2b88a43c3fae.jpg

Gary wasn’t big on his looks, as any photo of him will prove. Neither would anyone be, who was ‘glassed’ (struck with a broken pint glass) in the face, as he was.  But, he was arguably the best guitarist walking when he was alive.

image.jpeg.64b209ca45a27b5dad51ba2912e2b1c7.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

I think his facial expression is indicative and more a result of the fact he was an unmitigated and unapologetic asshole on the level of his talent. 

When I was a young teenager I watched Gary Moore play at a guitar show in London.  I went up to him afterwards to say how awesome I thought he was, or words to that affect, and all I got was “Fuck off!”  I was crushed. 

On the opposite side of the spectrum I met Paul Gilbert, again after a guitar show clinic, and he treated me like a long lost friend.  Legend.

I met Gary at the Hard Rock in Orlando.  They were using a soundstage to work out the tour, while the families toured the theme parks.  They announced a "show" in the Hard Rock restaurant and the first 200 people got in free.  I walked right up to Graham Lilley and talked with him while he set Gary's rig up.  I got to play "Stripe" (the Still Got the Blues Guitar that was stolen from Ronnie Montrose) and got to hold the Peter Green Les Paul.  Gary came out and was extremely cordial.  Kind of laughed when he told me that Graham was under strict orders not to allow anyone to play the "special" guitar.  Shook my hand.  

If he was an asshole, I didn't experience that in any way.   He was on Letterman two nights later.  

3 hours ago, DBraz said:

I went up to him afterwards to say how awesome I thought he was, or words to that affect, and all I got was “Fuck off!” 

1 hour ago, The Shark said:

Gary came out and was extremely cordial.  Kind of laughed when he told me that Graham was under strict orders not to allow anyone to play the "special" guitar.  Shook my hand.

I find these types of contrasting stories incredibly interesting.
Like most of us, Gary was probably part cordial guy, part asshole, but it's a question of how much of each and on which day you approached him. Of course, one could argue that the specter of that "bad day" scenario floating in the breeze like a Russian Roulette encounter automatically defaults him to asshole status, but that's a debate for those more educated than myself.

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

I know some people get sentimental and lachrymose when they hear the first few notes of "Still Got The Blues", but all that comes to me is the sound of ringing floor toms and the croak of a sawed-off Northern Irishman protecting his apparently delicate proximity.

Dang, Ed. “Lachrymose?” That fancy-pantz, UC edjumacashun done did ya right, by gum!

57 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Dammit man my fingers were 4 letters into typing that word when the warning light went off in my head FLOWERY! FLOWERY! SUGGEST "REFLECTIVE" INSTEAD but I foolishly continued on.

Not that you're really apologizing for it, but please continue to utilize the English language in flowery ways!   Eschew Obfuscation?

Also, maybe Gary was a prick, or maybe he didn't like fanboys?  Who can say?  Probably a bit of both, as Kiz has said.  Maybe there was a reason he was glassed in the face...

Paul Gilbert was nothing but nice to me when I met him.  Gregarious is the word.

Thread successfully hijacked.  Anyone getting that Scepter?   :-D

Funny how those that think recognizing a star is an invitation to accost them straight away.  I sat down in first class on a plane to Dallas in 1991 and I looked directly across the aisle and there was wrestler Randy Savage.  He just looked away as everyone tried to get his autograph.  The stewardess had to block the door to first class.  I had been upgraded because of a ticket snafu, so it was six hours later than I intended to fly.  When we got in the air, the stewardess came up and apologized and he nodded.  Never spoke the entire flight.  I walked off the plane and we were heading down the hallway to the terminal and he turned to me and said, "a guy just needs his space".  I told him I was a big fan and I didn't want to approach him because of the dust up on the ground before take-off.  He told me that he was just pissed that he wouldn't be on time for his event.  I told him I'd missed the entire first day of the Arlington show and was really upset about that.  He said, "Want to go to the wrestling show?"  I was back stage for the entire event.  They were all so gracious and treated me like a VIP.  I'll never forget it.

Also, isn't "Fuuuuuuucccck. Oooooooffffff" a traditional greeting in Ireland?

Might be a cultural misunderstanding.

Anyway, that's what my friend from Belfast always says to me when he sees me.  Hmmm...🤫

7 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

I agree, "lachrymose" is more becoming of a 2nd semester poetry major at the Sylvia Plath Academy for Girls Who Think Their Diaries Would Be Great Romantic Tragedies (upstairs campus) or a Sarah Lawrence grad. 

What can I say, I stand here embarrassed with my man card in tatters. And I would've come back and edited it out if you hadn't captured the evidence in your comment.

No harm/foul, brutha. I’m actually impressed someone used that term on a guitar forum. Who knew?

Oh, and re: Sylvia Plath? I was forced to read, “The Bell Jar”, in school. What a  whiny, self-pitying piece of CRAP! 

Ump her. Seriously...

Archived