Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
Ua D

PSA Scepter

Hmmmmm, If there were a guy on this board who likes that sort of thing, his name would be written all over it. ūüėÉ

WhoTF puts the back of a head stock as the lead off, sell photo??? I mean, really???

image.png

• Like 1

The pointy end of the body is not in any of the photos.  Those have been known to get broken off.  It would be wise to ask for more photos of the entire body. 

• Like 1

Gotta love the photos of guitars that look like they were just pulled out from under a bed or from a closet 

15 hours ago, Ua D said:

Gotta love the photos of guitars that look like they were just pulled out from under a bed or from a closet 

Sometimes it's the guitarist that looks like it was pulled out from under the bed or from a closet

garymoorehamer.jpg.468eb83224596a0df37b2b88a43c3fae.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

That picture always weirded me out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

That picture always weirded me out.  

That picture is the only reason anyone has ever compared me to Gary Moore

• Haha 3

At least this listing has one semi-decent photo of the back of the body...I've been looking at guitars on Reverb all weekend, and it's surprising to me how many of those don't have a photo of the back, at all.

Edited by crunchee

8 hours ago, The Shark said:

My least favorite Hamer guitar design.  You couldn't give me one.

For me it's the Scarab.  The Scepter and Talladega are tied for second.  

I owned a Scepter.  It was really nice.  I have never kept a guitar with a Floyd for very long, and the Scepter had a Floyd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

You need to retire to Florida, so we can take over the world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

The Scab...

On 12/22/2019 at 1:24 PM, Ed Rechts said:

Sometimes it's the guitarist that looks like it was pulled out from under the bed or from a closet

garymoorehamer.jpg.468eb83224596a0df37b2b88a43c3fae.jpg

Gary wasn‚Äôt big on his looks, as any photo of him will prove. Neither would anyone be,¬†who was ‚Äėglassed‚Äô (struck with a broken pint glass) in the face, as he was. ¬†But, he was arguably the best guitarist walking¬†when he was alive.

image.jpeg.64b209ca45a27b5dad51ba2912e2b1c7.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eli said:

Gary wasn‚Äôt big on his looks, as any photo of him will prove. Neither would anyone be,¬†who was ‚Äėglassed‚Äô (struck with a broken pint glass) in the face, as he was. ¬†But, he was arguably the best guitarist walking¬†when he was alive.

I think his facial expression is indicative and more a result of the fact he was an unmitigated and unapologetic asshole on the level of his talent. A character trait well documented and witnessed by me personally in one of the most awkward yet funniest backstage "star player" moments I have ever encountered.

Yngwie Malmsteen has nothing on Gary Moore in the outright fuckstickery department. At least Yngwie always leaves the slight doubt in your mind that he may be playing a caricature. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

I think his facial expression is indicative and more a result of the fact he was an unmitigated and unapologetic asshole on the level of his talent. 

When I was a young teenager I watched Gary Moore play at a guitar show in London. ¬†I went up to him afterwards to say how awesome I thought he was, or words to that affect, and all I got was ‚ÄúFuck off!‚ÄĚ ¬†I was crushed.¬†

On the opposite side of the spectrum I met Paul Gilbert, again after a guitar show clinic, and he treated me like a long lost friend.  Legend.

• Like 4

I met Gary at the Hard Rock in Orlando.  They were using a soundstage to work out the tour, while the families toured the theme parks.  They announced a "show" in the Hard Rock restaurant and the first 200 people got in free.  I walked right up to Graham Lilley and talked with him while he set Gary's rig up.  I got to play "Stripe" (the Still Got the Blues Guitar that was stolen from Ronnie Montrose) and got to hold the Peter Green Les Paul.  Gary came out and was extremely cordial.  Kind of laughed when he told me that Graham was under strict orders not to allow anyone to play the "special" guitar.  Shook my hand.  

If he was an asshole, I didn't experience that in any way.   He was on Letterman two nights later.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DBraz said:

I went up to him afterwards to say how awesome I thought he was, or words to that affect, and all I got was ‚ÄúFuck off!‚Ä̬†

1 hour ago, The Shark said:

Gary came out and was extremely cordial.  Kind of laughed when he told me that Graham was under strict orders not to allow anyone to play the "special" guitar.  Shook my hand.

I find these types of contrasting stories incredibly interesting.
Like most of us, Gary was probably part cordial guy, part asshole, but it's a question of how much of each and on which day you approached him. Of course, one could argue that the specter of that "bad day" scenario floating in the breeze like a Russian Roulette encounter automatically defaults him to asshole status, but that's a debate for those more educated than myself.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DBraz said:

When I was a young teenager I watched Gary Moore play at a guitar show in London. ¬†I went up to him afterwards to say how awesome I thought he was, or words to that affect, and all I got was ‚ÄúFuck off!‚ÄĚ ¬†I was crushed.¬†

Interestingly, he said the EXACT same words to a buddy of mine who spotted him walking into the back door of the club that he was playing that night, The Bayou in Washington D.C., in the early 90s. 

Gary was entering with his road manager, and was clad in a big overcoat with the collar pulled up to kind of hide his face (he may have been trying to go unmolested by the crowd of folks backstage setting up for the gig, including local band members opening the show. Which is why we were there) and by buddy Hornet says, "Gary Moore! You are the greatest!"

Moore's groggy rictus popped out of that collar cave like a snapping turtle defending his corner of the bog and spat: "FUCHHHHHCCCCKKK OFF!" loud enough for everyone within 20 feet range to hear it, which was impressive given that drums were being sound checked on the stage at the time. As long as I live, I will never forget it. Totally changed my view of the guy and his music.

I know some people get sentimental and lachrymose when they hear the first few notes of "Still Got The Blues", but all that comes to me is the sound of ringing floor toms and the croak of a sawed-off Northern Irishman protecting his apparently delicate proximity.

Edited to add, re: Paul Gilbert: Gilbert is notoriously nice and even gregarious. At NAMM he is always walking around the floor (when he's not demoing either solo or  with someone else's endorsement). He looks like a lanky goofy kid who is having a blast seeing all his friends and making new ones everywhere he goes. Sometimes his Japanese wife is with him, and the height juxtaposition makes them stand out beyond the usual rocker-meets-business-suited NAMM regalia.

Paul Gilbert strikes me as the kind of guy that if you walked up to him at NAMM while he was doing a demo onstage and asked him to help jumpstart your Mazda that died in the parking garage because you left the ceiling light on all night, he'd put his guitar down immediately and get right on the rescue. Probably stop to buy you a hot pretzel and a frozen lemonade on the way out, too.

Edited by Ed Rechts
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

"FUCHHHHHCCCCKKK OFF!"

Like Unger to Caretaker!

Ozzy Osbourne once described Gary Moore in an unflattering way.  Apparently it was not a musical barrier that kept them from working together. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

I know some people get sentimental and lachrymose when they hear the first few notes of "Still Got The Blues", but all that comes to me is the sound of ringing floor toms and the croak of a sawed-off Northern Irishman protecting his apparently delicate proximity.

Dang, Ed. ‚ÄúLachrymose?‚ÄĚ That fancy-pantz, UC edjumacashun done did ya right, by gum!

• Haha 4