Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PAUL REED SMITH SE ONE ????

Pieman

PRS SE guitars are exceptional Asian imports. Very GOOD fit and finish. I think I read somewhere that they’re made in the same facility as the G&L Tribute guitar’s. I’ve set up a number of them for folks and in general, I’m impressed. IMO among the best bang for buck guitars.

I have an SE Santana that is a VERY nice guitar, much nicer than the money I could get for selling it.  No experience with the One though.  I wouldn't be afraid of an SE based on my experience and what I've heard/read, especially at an attractive price.

IIRC, looks like an older one, from doing a close up view I think the back of the headstock says that it was Made In Korea (South, of course).  Also, it looks like it had vintage Kluson-style tuners at one time, judging from the extra screw-holes on the back of the headstock.

What is that, a 4 piece body?  I mean, I’ve been wanting a junior style guitar and I like the price but...  “worth every penny” when it only costs a penny doesn’t mean much to me. 

im guessing I’d want to replace at minimum the pickup, maybe the electronics, bridge and tuners, too...? How’s the fit and finish? Do the frets need work?

The ones that i have handles, have been pretty light weight. Fit and finish were damn good with no playing issues. The extra scale length on a Jr type guitar was actually pretty pleasing. Like everyone should know, every guitar is different, but the SE's are pretty consistent. 

I take it he OP was asking generally about the Model, not that exact guitar. If you want to double your pleasure find a Soapbar SE, also the older Semi Hollows with the flat tops are pretty great as well. 

14 hours ago, Pieman said:

I thought it looked so cool I did some research!! Hog body and neck, nothing but good reviews and modders love them!! New pickup and pot’s seem to really turn these sleepers into barkers!! 

Can’t afford one right now but it’s gone on my wish list!! They also have a Korina model that I really liked!!

I have been thinking about a Les Paul Junior recently, and I saw the Dave's  Guitar one, which seems like a cheap fun alternative at $375.  Then I just came across the older run and then found the new ones.   

Apparently there are 1800 made for the Euro market.   They went on the market in the last month or so.  They differ from the run that came out 7-10 years ago in that they have a Korina body, an adjustable bridge, and  a not a "stadium logo" headstock.  The new ones are made in Indonesia. The older one in Korea,

They sound a bit shrill in the video below but the could be tamed, I guess

PAUL REED SMITH SE ONE

On 12/29/2019 at 5:48 AM, Ed Rechts said:

Who was the HFC member that modded his SE with a single coil neck PU? That was a cool addition IMO. Want to see that one again.

Hey, that was me.  Let me snap some pics of it and post it.  I'm pretty sure I got it here, but it came with a mini-humbucker where the P90 should have been.  I had a dog-ear GFS P90 a got a tele neck pickup.  With just the slightest bit of careful dremel work, I re-created what this guy, the inspiration, did.  Mine looks almost exactly the same.

The DGS offering sold. Anybody here pick it up?  It was about the lowest priced one out there.  

Here's another posted on Reverb today.  

https://reverb.com/item/31043387-paul-reed-smith-se-one-korina

and this

https://reverb.com/item/28305498-paul-reed-smith-se-one-korina-2010-2012-with-upgrades?utm_source=MarketingCloud&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=20190114+-+Transactional+-+Watcher+Offer+Made+(orange)

Seems these have been produced in a number of variations over the last 10+ years.  There may have even been some special run versions for Wildwood Guitars back when.    Also a sea foam green. Some with dots, some with moons, some with birds.  I'll just set up a watch - - until something else draws my attention.

I have a blue SE I picked up used from DGS.  I really liked it at first.   Chunky neck.  Nice sized frets with the ends finished nicely.   The pups sounded ok. The wiring was tidy.    It stayed in tune ok.  

After a while, the wraparound bridge pitched forward just enough to get a zitar like tone on the high e when playing above the 15th fret.   Some locking studs took care of it.   I can't string it up with 10s since the truss rod won't adjust anymore.

Make sure you ask lots of questions.  Pick one up cheap enough and it's not a bad deal at all.  Worth the price you pay for it.  

But for not a lot more, I could have gotten a G&L tribute.   And  for a little more, I recently picked up a USA T-51 that almost hit all my marks.  The SE is sitting in the gig bag.  The T-51 is the one I reach for.  YMMV.  

Archived