Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Solo Acoustic Players?

rugby1970

For solo gigs I use Duotone Customs.

Acoustic bridge goes to Boss RC20XL loop station, straight to mixer.

Electric pups go Fulldrive2>Ibanez Chorus(faux Leslie)>Tech 20 Flyrig5 version 2> straight to mixer.

Mixer is a Mackie 1202VLZ with an alesis microverb in aux 2 fx, aux 1 is a dedicated monitor out, to a JBL Eon10. Main is one QSC K10 on a stand. Sparkling monophonic sound :)

Benefits: super flexible, super easy and fast setup and tear down. You can blend or alternate acoustic and electric while looping acoustic. You have independent monitor control so if the manager tells you to take it down a hair, smile reach over and bring the Main knob to 11 o clock, and your monitor has not changed at all. For more mains, use another K10.

Optional additions: For Irish gigs you need some stomp. Best is the PuckN Stompa from Australia. You can run that into the other input on the loop station so it’s included in loops, or a cable straight into the mixer. Depending on the gig I’ll use a TC electronics harmony pedal (sending the acoustic signal into it first, then through to the loop station) on the vocal mic, *essential* that you keep the mix below 40%, but fun and very effective. See what I did there? 😆

I use an Adamas guitar and run it dry to the mixer, the put a splash of verb on it there. I bought a TC electronics harmonizer but my son liked it so much he claimed it as his birthday present!! They really do work well!! But!! They can be over used and sound fakey if the mix isn’t set right between the dry voice and the harmonizer. Add a harmonica holder and lots of Neil Young, John Prine, David Allen Coe, Jerry Jeff and Guy Clark And a few others and that’s my show!!

Mine is an Alvarez Yari with LR Baggs pickup and preamp, Fishman Loudbox mini, mic. I also have a Mackie Pro FX8 mixer and two Behringer powered speaker for larger rooms.

I'm just getting started with this and have done about 6 gigs in local assisted living/memory care centers. It;s time for the seasonal songs to be retired and other songs to be populated to the play list.

Does anyone use a drum machine and/or looper?

Acoustic is where I spend most/all my time.  

Go to guitars right now are either an old Taylor 814ce (Cocobolo/Sitka) or a newer J45.  Pedalboard is pictured below: 

TC Helicon Play Acoustic handles basic EQ/compression/reverb/delay for both vocals and guitars.  I like the "BodyRez" feature of the pedal that neutralizes the quack of piezo pickups and gives the guitar a nice & natural tone.  Features pitch correction and harmonies for vocals as well.  Agree with the others re: harmony usage kept to minimum.  You could make this your only pedal.  Balanced outputs can go direct to FOH or PA.

Airturn Pedal is a Bluetooth controller pedal.  i use it to scroll through charts / lead sheets I have on an iPad (using OnSong app) attached to the mic stand that I use for a prompter.

JamMan looper and Polytune Tuner.  Looper rarely gets used, but there are times you want to lay down a chord progression and jam over it to kill a few minutes.

Bose T1 Mixer - Guitar and Vox get routed here for final tweak before going to PA.  Hangs on the mic stand for ease of use.  I love the preset EQs and effects (incl. Compressor/limiter, reverb, delay, modulation efx) and compact size.  To be honest, if it weren't for the harmonies and quack-killer feature of the TC pedal, I'd be plugging direct into this little jewel.

QSC K10.2 Powered Speakers - Used the Bose L1 system for 13+ years, then decided last year to downsize.  The QSCs take up less space in the car, sound better than the Bose, have more than enough power for any gig I'm gonna get, and I can decide to bring one or both speakers depending on room size.  Win-win-win...

It's a versatile setup - I can go as small as the T1 and a guitar if needed for quick setup/teardown.

IMG_1954.jpeg

IMG_1953.jpeg

Archived