Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Do you have a favorite Joe Walsh song?

bubs_42

Every time I hear tape echo or a talk box I think of Joe Walsh. Thankfully I was got to see him live when he was at a really good point in his life and I wasn't disapointed. I remember buying a Marshall Studio 20 out of a pawn shop when I was in my teens and I thought that was amazing, everything sounded like Joe Walsh through that amp. Even the sloppy playing! That guy has some amazing songs. 

Funk #49 is always fun to play. Meadows, Walk Away, Time Out, Turn to Stone.....he's got too many great songs to pick one.

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

Gotta throw down for In The City, if only because it's perfect insertion into the end credit roll of "The Warriors". 

Best use of a song in ANY context if you ask me.

Agreed.

Barnstorm's live version of "Turn to Stone" on ABC's "In Concert" in the early '70s. Better than the official live version on 1976's You Can't  Argue with a Sick Mind. Joe Vitale played drums  on the "in Concert" performance (as well as gong on this tune).

Ditto for "The Bomber" from the same performance being a definitive performance.

This was in the days before VCRs, and if i wasn't gigging on a particular Friday night, I'd be in front of my 18" (diagonal measure) black-and-white TV. Got a local TV shop to jump off of the pre-amp of the TV with an audio jack where I could make cassette recordings mono-reprocessed-to-stereo. Wish I still had those.

Seemed certain other songs by other artists on that show were also superior to live material on albums, on accounta they were, er, heavier. Rory Gallagher's "Hands Off" also comes to mind. 

Then there was the Eagles' extended version of "Earlybird" featuring Bernie Leadon's banjo workout., while hollering "C'mon, boy!" at Glenn Frey. Found a Youtube video of that one: 

Love all those that have already been mentioned. Here's one from the early '80s that oozes Joe Walsh. Drop D in the beginning, then changes to standard tuning. Just cool all the way through. 

Joe's always entertaining live too - he plays much better these days, but still sounds like he's $#!+faced when he talks.

JT - are you in the Metro DC area now, or did you head back to SoCal?

I played in a band a few years back with a guy who went to high school with Joe Walsh.  I asked what he was like, and he said, "Well, he's exactly like you think he is.  He's 100% himself.  There's no act in any of it."

National Treasure. 

I do love each of the JW songs mentioned here. I like his phrasing and RNR attitude. Always have.

On the first Eagles live album he sang lead on his single All Night Long.  I love that version..

HNYE, HFC peeps!

The James Gang also had two tracks on a soundtrack for a cowboy western movie called Zachariah (1971).   One was an instrumental with a lot of delay, IIRC.  I don't think Walsh was singing on "Country Fever" below. He had asked for a lead singer so he could concentrate on playing.  BTW the entire movie is on YouTube. I will catch it this winter.

Archived