Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Duotone

Alright!! I just read this archived thread:tell me the difference between the 3 Duotones but there wasn't much there. Do you use acoustic or electric strings? Is it loud enough to be played unplugged? What's the deal with the three jimmy jammies on the control cavity plate?

"

I love my 3 Hole Duotone..!

Duotone9.jpg

DuotoneB.jpg

3 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

Alright!! I just read this archived thread:tell me the difference between the 3 Duotones but there wasn't much there. Do you use acoustic or electric strings? Is it loud enough to be played unplugged? What's the deal with the three jimmy jammies on the control cavity plate?

"

Its not an acoustic so playing it unplugged isn't really feasible. Just think of it as a Semi Hollow guitar with a Piezo Pickup in it. The three "jimmy Jammies are controls for the onboard preamp. 

5 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

I prefer DR Zebra strings on them.  

I really liked the way they sounded on my T51 f but there were frequent intonation issues that were not worth the trouble for me

arniez

I used a Duotone Custom for years in my dippy little folk 'n' roll outfit.  The last I saw, Geoff was handing it off to a friend of his. In my rig, the piezo side was treated separately until it wound up at a little mixer on the pedalboard, where it was mixed to the mag side.  Each had its own preamps and effects, etc. When a smidge of neck pickup was rolled in with the piezo, a pretty decent tone could be achieved, certainly better than your average off the shelf piezo system.  The Three Little Jimmy Jammies in the back are kind of a cut and try proposition, foozle with them until the guitar sounds good in your rig.  (Foozle with your Jimmy Jammies?  You'd do that for me?)

Strings: D'Addario XL110 W with the wound third is the ticket on strings.

24 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

I’ve never had such an issue, I never heard of this prior to Greg bringing it up.  

Just relating my experience, maybe they fixed it. I have had issues with DR blues as well but it seems they resolved the problem

arniez

• 2 weeks later...

They’re all spruce tops.

The 3 hole versions are a one-piece flat spruce top with 3 holes instead of an F-hole, over a chambered mahogany body, the Duotone Customs are a hand-carved arched spruce top with an F-hole over a chambered mahogany body.

4 hours ago, geoff_hartwell said:

They’re all spruce tops.

The 3 hole versions are a one-piece flat spruce top with 3 holes instead of an F-hole, over a chambered mahogany body, the Duotone Customs are a hand-carved arched spruce top with an F-hole over a chambered mahogany body.

Ah, but there were a few maple top specimens...

images.jpeg

CamstoneDuocase.jpg

Archived