Hamer Fan Club Message Center

RIP: The Ernie Ball Music Man - ARMADA model

The Armada is an aesthetically polarizing model for sure, but objectively a damn fine playing/sounding guitar - truly a "wow" guitar for me.

After less than a five year run, EBMM apparently killed off the Armada model several months ago due to lagging sales.  They had already "retired" the finish/color I have and a couple of others after the first couple of years of the run. As I understand it, EBMM put a decent amount of money and time into its design, testing and build process.  Dudley Gimpel loves and was very proud of the Armada.

A little strange feeling for me as an owner, but still VERY glad I own one.

I guess the times are a changin' . . . . .

Strangely enough, they must have removed all pics from the internet right away, including your personal stack. Or why don’t you post any with a black stripe? B)

They are great guitars. Pete DuBaldo, one of their most active dealers, had one specially made just for him, in Diablo Blue, which then launched a whole "Diablo Blue" premier dealer run. Apparently people would keep mispronouncing his last name.

There was only one Armada made, just for him, but they made a bunch of others guitars in that color, and it also marks the return of the ROSEWOOD NECK to many models.

The Dubaldo Blue armada is in my mind the most beautiful armada ever made.

The other members of the color run can be seen here: https://dubaldomusic.com/diablo

07be-Armada-Diablo-Blue-Quilt-Spalt-Pete-DuBaldo-6-0-1-1000x1000.jpg

7 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

Yes, I've seen those on Evil-bay.  They apparenty hit the scene a couple of months after EBMM killed off the Armada. 

They are Vietnamese knock-offs with blank headstocks.  I'm sure Sterling is thrilled about that development.

1 hour ago, hamerican gigolo said:

If only EB could follow suit with the Albert Lee model... B)

They are actually fairly popular. Not quite sure why, as it's really kind a kinda angular strat, and they have a bunch of other strat-style guitars. But each has their own fans. Pretty remarkable.

So is their ability to entice people to build entire collections just made of various models of the John Petrucci signature guitar. They roll out a new one, and the fans buy another.

On 1/1/2020 at 5:19 PM, Boomerang~Junkie said:

The Armada is an aesthetically polarizing model for sure, but objectively a damn fine playing/sounding guitar - truly a "wow" guitar for me.

After less than a five year run, EBMM apparently killed off the Armada model several months ago due to lagging sales.  They had already "retired" the finish/color I have and a couple of others after the first couple of years of the run. As I understand it, EBMM put a decent amount of money and time into its design, testing and build process.  Dudley Gimpel loves and was very proud of the Armada.

A little strange feeling for me as an owner, but still VERY glad I own one.

I guess the times are a changin' . . . . .

So was this model known as the Dudley Armada or the Armada Dud?

😏

13 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Um, I resemble that remark.  🥴

HAH. At least you have followed the different brands. What happens with JP fans is like what happens with LP fans: they get a collection of guitars with very small differences.  Like, John Petrucci changed pickups on his standard model, so your choice is to upgrade yours, or buy another, or BOTH. Then they make their "Ball Family Reserve" guitars that are fully pimped out, and people love to buy those too.  JP also now has a new neck-through "Majesty" model, that has already gone through several versions, and people keep buying them all.

It's pretty amazing actually. Not quite as amazing as Yngwie's PILE of vintage strats, but still amazing.

5 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

HAH. At least you have followed the different brands. What happens with JP fans is like what happens with LP fans: they get a collection of guitars with very small differences.  Like, John Petrucci changed pickups on his standard model, so your choice is to upgrade yours, or buy another, or BOTH. Then they make their "Ball Family Reserve" guitars that are fully pimped out, and people love to buy those too.  JP also now has a new neck-through "Majesty" model, that has already gone through several versions, and people keep buying them all.

It's pretty amazing actually. Not quite as amazing as Yngwie's PILE of vintage strats, but still amazing.

As long as all your bills are paid, you are maxing out your 401k and IRA, why not?  Enjoy life, its a finite resource.  

• 4 months later...

Apparently there is a 'redesigned' version out that smooths over the pizza slice/ 1/2 bow tie deal. Looks rather fetching with that flamey top and block inlays. One thing in the new spec claims a slimmer neck. Why do they think everyone wants an Ibanez? 😕

MF & GC are apparently discounting the old version black ones to $2200.

New one:

spacer.png

https://shop.music-man.com/ernie-ball-music-man-armada-guitar-tiger-eye.html

10 hours ago, shankyboy said:

What? I think the Albert Lee model is cool. 

Ditto. I’ll take one of each. HH, SSS, P90 and Bass :)

1 hour ago, Sugartune said:

Ditto. I’ll take one of each. HH, SSS, P90 and Bass :)

Only one I want is the SSS in that translucent Pink Burst. Every time I see one, I think of the Jetsons. 

The new one looks cool too and may very well sell a ton since the look flows better aesthetically and won’t be as polarizing, as the OP said.

Archived