Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Just like a junky the week before rehab

bubs_42

I went on a bender and bought more amps. I suck, I know, weak as hell I am. Not just one, but two freaking amps. I just like to try amps DAMNIT!!! Honestly the Budda isn't going anywhere, i'm glad no body bought the damn thing the last time I tried to sell it. I love it, but you just need some other flavors. 

I'm going to try a Dr. Z Therapy this time, 6l6's, 35watts, a very flexible midrange control, cathode biased so you can plug and play different tubes. If it passes the first impression test, i'll track down a Z Cab for it. 

At least I didn't just buy my FOURTH DAYTONA like @hamerhead 

Ok, I thought about it and have actually owned 4 Daytona's.  DAMNIT! Purple, Green, Blonde, Red. 

I already fell off the wagon I suppose, not that I made any resolutions anyway. :rolleyes: :P  I dunno if this counts as my last purchase of 2019, or my first 'new' acquisition of 2020, or both...it's been awhile since I had a fretless bass and I couldn't resist, I'm just waitin' for it to arrive:

https://davesguitar.com/products/fender/parts-fretless-bass-madison-608-405-8770/

I've got an empty generic bass case in a closet, that should do the trick for protecting this bass.  This is why you should never get rid of old empty guitar cases, they're a ready-made good excuse for buying yet another guitar.  :lol:

4 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I went on a bender and bought more amps. I suck, I know, weak as hell I am. Not just one, but two freaking amps. 

Any time the wife leans on me about "the collection", I bring up my buddy Shawn on the Hamer Forum.  There's safety in numbers...:ph34r:

I mean, it doesn‘t help anyway ... the rehab ... you know, addict is addict, right?

I know your struggle. Mine is with Cali's. I swore to my wife that I'd not be acquiring any more once I got my Spitfire from Shane at HEL. I've since bought 4 more Cali's with my eye on another currently. :P

1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

Thanks for the support! I think the brown truck will be full and headed my way next week. Tough time to ship amps, one store called me to request extra time to secure "UPS PROOF" packaging. 

When you find out what "UPS PROOF" packaging is, please let the rest of us know.  ;)

1 hour ago, crunchee said:

When you find out what "UPS PROOF" packaging is, please let the rest of us know.  ;)

My understanding is they are boxing it like normal with all the foam all the way around, then its going in another box and the foam around the first box. I'll need to ship it out after it arrives, its going back to the builder for a checkup and some documentation, then back to me. 

Dude!  Do you know how much cover you give me?  Every time my wife pipes up,  I just point to your latest NAD or NGD post.  She mutters something about that bubs guy and I'm off the hook.  Your addiction is a charitable service to the rest of us.  I thank you for your service. 

1 hour ago, BubbaVO said:

Dude!  Do you know how much cover you give me?  Every time my wife pipes up,  I just point to your latest NAD or NGD post.  She mutters something about that bubs guy and I'm off the hook.  Your addiction is a charitable service to the rest of us.  I thank you for your service. 

Man, I haven't tried that.  I usually just say that I'm not a gambler or drinker, so we're still ahead of the game.  

2 hours ago, BubbaVO said:

So, you guys should be making monthly installments to my Paypal Account then right? Like an insurance plan? 

55 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

So, you guys should be making monthly installments to my Paypal Account then right? Like an insurance plan? 

Actually more like a cautionary tale, like the guy who jumped out of the plane without a parachute.  

And in walks Karma! LOL Amp #1 just doesn't do it for me. On paper it should have been exactly what I was looking for. Amp #2 arrived in less than idea operating conditions. Amp #2 is a tough one, its a pretty special amp that I would love to keep even if its not getting used. More than likely it will go back, and the Z will move on. 

As for the Z, I think that he makes amazing amps but they are not my cup of tea. I like the Ghia, Z28 and the Maz 18, but everything else I have tried just isn't for me. I get slagged if I say they are bright and harsh, but to my ears when you push them, that is exactly what happens. They get bright and harsh almost like a Single Ended amp gets when you push it. I"ve had the SRZ65, the RX JR and now the Therapy. The Therapy I have had the chance to play before and I though it sounded damn good into a  Best Cab. Oh well, i'm sure something else will come my way, I'm just checking off my list of amps that I want to put in front of me. I only have 5 left to try out. 

On 1/2/2020 at 8:22 AM, bubs_42 said:

My understanding is they are boxing it like normal with all the foam all the way around, then its going in another box and the foam around the first box. I'll need to ship it out after it arrives, its going back to the builder for a checkup and some documentation, then back to me. 

I've always used an internal boxing method I learned from my packaging supplier a while back.  They had ties to an auction house and always had a collection of odd-shaped items in the corner; for packaging/shipping to non-local buyers.  I might have posted it here a while back.

20 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

And in walks Karma! LOL Amp #1 just doesn't do it for me. On paper it should have been exactly what I was looking for. Amp #2 arrived in less than idea operating conditions. Amp #2 is a tough one, its a pretty special amp that I would love to keep even if its not getting used. More than likely it will go back, and the Z will move on. 

As for the Z, I think that he makes amazing amps but they are not my cup of tea. I like the Ghia, Z28 and the Maz 18, but everything else I have tried just isn't for me. I get slagged if I say they are bright and harsh, but to my ears when you push them, that is exactly what happens. They get bright and harsh almost like a Single Ended amp gets when you push it. I"ve had the SRZ65, the RX JR and now the Therapy. The Therapy I have had the chance to play before and I though it sounded damn good into a  Best Cab. Oh well, i'm sure something else will come my way, I'm just checking off my list of amps that I want to put in front of me. I only have 5 left to try out. 

I know I shouldn't ask this since I may be guilty of enabling, but did you try the Dr. Zs through a closed back cab with greenbacks? 

31 minutes ago, BubbaVO said:

I know I shouldn't ask this since I may be guilty of enabling, but did you try the Dr. Zs through a closed back cab with greenbacks? 

Closed back yes, open back, but no greenbacks. I do not care for greenbacks, unless its a 10". That being said I did try it into a Z 2x10 and it sounded the best out of all the cabs. My issue is with my personal preference. I only use pedals to flavor the tone between the guitar and the amp. If that connection does not do it for me, no pedal will correct it, nor do I want to rely on that pedal. 

I just went to the Dungeon to check on the sick amp, and give the Therapy another listen. What I don't like is the single notes, they have no weight to them even with an LP. I'm running the Bass at 9 0'clock, Mid at 11 0'clock and the highs at like 930 10 0'clock, Volume at just over 1 0'clock and the Master at just over 9 0'clock. 

I think they are  just not my thing and that is ok, everyones ears are different. 

16 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Closed back yes, open back, but no greenbacks. I do not care for greenbacks, unless its a 10". That being said I did try it into a Z 2x10 and it sounded the best out of all the cabs. My issue is with my personal preference. I only use pedals to flavor the tone between the guitar and the amp. If that connection does not do it for me, no pedal will correct it, nor do I want to rely on that pedal. 

I just went to the Dungeon to check on the sick amp, and give the Therapy another listen. What I don't like is the single notes, they have no weight to them even with an LP. I'm running the Bass at 9 0'clock, Mid at 11 0'clock and the highs at like 930 10 0'clock, Volume at just over 1 0'clock and the Master at just over 9 0'clock. 

I think they are  just not my thing and that is ok, everyones ears are different. 

Thank You for the review!! Have you tried any Reinhardt’s? I was economically forced to sell my R-18 and that amp for having EL84’s got just thicker the more you cranked it up. I took pictures of the guts and transformers hoping to build one to replace it someday. From what your describing and how you judge an amp I think we’re on the same page as to what we’re looking for! 

Thanks Again Bub’s!!!

Archived