Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Thumbs-up for Gravelin pickups

jginsj

So, I bought Tombo’s penny-colored tele that he had on the for-sale board, I originally wanted a vintage white one but because he had searched through several to find a “good” one, plus the fact that he put the Gravelins in it and had it set up, and it would save me some money to boot, I decided to jump on his. And as it turns out the color is really growing on me, plus it’s a really sweet playing guitar. But the PICKUPS...WOW!!

These pickups exceed my anticipation and expectation. The neck pickup is absolutely, ummm, drippy!  I don’t know any other word to use.  It is just super expressive and bluesy, it’s like it adds nuance to every note. I don’t have a lot of neck single coils to compare it to, but I’ve gone back and forth with the neck pickups in my TLE, my Daytona, and my T-51.  The T51 comes closest to giving it a run for its money but the Gravelin is just sweeter.   The bridge pickup is twangy and spanky, it’s bright like a tele bridge pickup should be but instead of drilling your ears like an ice pick, it sings.  I love cranking it up and smacking open chords on those top 3 strings, it’s tele bridge goodness. 

I’ve got a tele with twisted tele pickups coming (I’ve been on a holiday buying binge, I really need to get back to work!) and I have a parts tele that’s just about done and it has EMG’s, so I’ll have a couple more comparisons I can make, but as it stands today, I can’t put down this guitar, and the pickups are the largest part of why.  They are awesome, I look forward to trying some of his other models in the future. 

Yup, josh knows his stuff and he’s a master of his craft. I’ve got his pickups in two of my guitars and his rewinds in another one. I’ll be ordering more from him in the future I’m sure. 

Josh is a master at figuring out the sound that’s in your head and making it come outa your guitar!! I used to have Pete Biltoft build my custom pup’s... he’s good...but Josh is better!!!

Nice.  I just put in a request for neck Charlotte and a custom wind bridge pickup with Josh.  I picked up a used bridge Charlotte and bought a superstrat bridge pickup he built on an epi frame a couple years ago.  The strat is gone and should have swapped the pickup before I sold it.  Very excited to be ordering some more. Maybe I’ll have to consider some for my tele In the future.  

Yup. I've gone full-on to the the Josh Side and have Gravelin Mongoose and several variants in over half of my stable occupants. The Double Slug variant of the Mongoose sounds absolutely f-ing killer in the HEL Spitfire! Throaty and articulate with plenty of whoop ass. Matter of fact, just last night I ordered two more of the Double Slug Mongoose for a couple of special incoming axes. ;)

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

Yup. I've gone full-on to the the Josh Side and have Gravelin Mongoose and several variants in over half of my stable occupants. The Double Slug variant of the Mongoose sounds absolutely f-ing killer in the HEL Spitfire! Throaty and articulate with plenty of whoop ass. Matter of fact, just last night I ordered two more of the Double Slug Mongoose for a couple of special incoming axes. ;)

Yeah, the mongoose variant Josh made for my charvel is killer. Traditional slug/screw construction with a slightly degaussed A5 mag to tame the brightness of the Floyd and pair nicely with the middle single coil when split.

the man is a genius. 

Archived