Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What are You Using for Stands?

velorush

Question

Decided to get a guitar (or two) out and play a bit.  I also pulled the Hercules stands out from under the bed and YUCK!  The hard plastic parts have degraded or something - they're are all sticky and on a couple of them the springy part that allows for height adjustment just snapped off on first use.

Anyway, not looking for the pricey furniture-looking stands with booteek 'tone woods' or anything.  Something along the lines of what the Hercules stands used to be would be great.

Any by the way, the Kiz Senior is still 'real and spectacular!'  

Decided to make a wood mulit-stand a few years back.  Works great and didn't cost much.  Used a piece of plywood I had leftover.

These are pictures from the build.

2.jpg

7.jpg

2 hours ago, velorush said:

Decided to get a guitar (or two) out and play a bit.  I also pulled the Hercules stands out from under the bed and YUCK!  The hard plastic parts have degraded or something - they're are all sticky and on a couple of them the springy part that allows for height adjustment just snapped off on first use.

That was a problem with them from years ago. Same thing happened to me except I had a guitar on one of them at the time.

57 minutes ago, BubbaVO said:

uh...the herc stand is the one I like...the other one has the gummy rubber parts.  But I guess based on your experience I can expect the herc stand to get gross too.  Maybe a wood one would be nice.  

I bought a couple from El Duave around ten or twelve years ago and someone gave me another the following Christmas.  I thought they were great as they could adjust for guitar or bass and had a really positive lock on the headstock.  They haven't been out of the house or abused or subjected to any weird chemicals...  If no one else is having the problem, maybe I just need to pitch these and buy a few more.

@Mathman that stand looks great, but wouldn't fit the 'decor.'  Maybe when my son and wife move off to college in a couple of years... (I'm convinced she'll be moving to college with him!).  

1 hour ago, velorush said:

If no one else is having the problem, maybe I just need to pitch these and buy a few more.

No, it happed to just about everyone who owns one of the old stands.

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/143504-hercules-guitar-stand-failure/

They will replace the broken/sticky parts, but I went this route: http://roy.vanegas.org/thoughts/fix-your-hercules-guitar-stand-for-about-1/

everbilt-machine-screws-802828-64_1000.j

Maybe they didn't sell parts, but tbey sure replaced a boatload of them.  

Either way, this guy has the easiest, worry-free solution: a bolt.  I did that with mine because...honestly...how often do you need to adjust the height of the stand?

Ditto.  Nice to see your avatar here.  Love that Cruise.  You still have it?

I’ve been using these simple lean-to stands.  Work for most guitars except Explorer style.

ChromaCast CC-MINIGS-2PK Universal Folding Guitar Stand with Secure Lock 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011DGZH8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_.OPdEbMCFBM0J

I've had a half dozen Hercules stands over the last decade or so - no problems with any of them as of 5 minutes ago.

6 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Welcome Back stranger @velorush! Been a while! Still using the Lucky 7?

Right amp, wrong player.  That was a perfect amp for someone, just not me.  I don't think I kept it more than a couple of months. 

3 hours ago, Toadroller said:

Ditto.  Nice to see your avatar here.  Love that Cruise.  You still have it?

That went to Minnesota to live with an HFCer around five (?) years ago.  Lost track of it since.

Stand update: like I said, I bought a couple from El Duave (looking back, it has to have been at least a dozen years ago) and then someone bought me a third several months (or years?) later for Christmas. 

Tonight I was explaining the problem to my son and went to show him on the Hercules stand in his room - it doesn't have the problem: no stickiness, no degradation in the plastic parts at all.  My theory is he is using the third stand that was bought later, after they fixed whatever problem that caused the issue.  So, I've got one stand in good shape and will grab a couple of screws and fix the others.  Perfect.

Thanks!

I only have a couple of stands, an old one I bought back in the early 90s - really generic guitar shop thing, and more recently a Hercules Mini stand which has been great:

http://herculesstands.com/international/products/fretted-and-bowed-instrument/guitar/single-stands/gs402bb/

I liked it so much I asked Mrs Bennyboy-UK for another one for Christmas :)

"Ultimate support" stands here. They suck on the mechanics after a while. Other than that do great.

Most venues I play have stands provided, but if not, the Ultimate GS-50 is a  perfect compact stand for all Hamer semihollow and solid guitars, (it’s a foldable tripod that fits in the pocket of a gig bag- took one up and down the east coast, and back and forth across the country this summer- still kicking after more than ten years of service), and the GS-100 is great for Standards and Vectors, acoustics too. 

None of the gross Hercules stickiness, both very compact, sturdy and reliable.

ETA- the GS-50 seems to be discontinued (of course) but can be had on eBay for less than 20 bucks. The GS-100 and 200 are available brand new for about $30.

Looks like they changed the design somewhat.
$15/each is ok.  You can sometimes see them for around $12. Not a big deal when you're buying one or two, but if you're buying 30 of them like I did...

image.png

On 1/2/2020 at 9:41 PM, cmatthes said:

I've had a half dozen Hercules stands over the last decade or so - no problems with any of them as of 5 minutes ago.

Mine is great, no issues. I also use a fold-up plastic stand for solo acoustic gigs and the third one is made by Musician's Gear (meh).

This one is amazing!

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/hercules-stands-travlite-electric-guitar-mini-a-frame-stand/451014000000000?rNtt=hercules folding stand Guitar&index=9

I had a sticky one. Emailed Hercules directly & they asked for the serial number. A new no fee stand arrived 2 days later. That’s customer service!

For gigging I use Hercules 3 instrument rack, GS523B 

In the music room I have some Hercules hangers where some, not all the guitars go.  Some wind up staying in cases between gigs or for long term storage.  The hangers are where the one's in play get put.

In my living room I just have a tubular stand or two for acoustic, electric,,whatever is out 

Archived