Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Boss Katana Series and Questions

chromium

I bought my son a Katana 100 (first gen, 1x12) w/GA-FC foot switch and a Moog expression pedal for his bday, and I’m really impressed by the sound and user interface/experience. He is starting to play out, and this rig will be a lot easier for him to schlep around vs. the pedalboard and tube amp of mine that he has been using.  Problem is - now I want one of my own! Haha

Questions: does anyone here have experience with the Katana Artist?  Seems similar to the 100, but has controls on front and adds some cabinet and line out modeling capabilities. There is one local to me on CL at a good price, but still about $200 more than I paid for the used/like-new 100. Worth it? Just curious about other’s opinions on this one...

Also, any experience with the mk1 vs. mk2 models?  Quality of sound about the same?  Worth the hold-out for a mk2?

Thanks in advance for any insights, and Happy New Year HFC!

P.S. always better with pics!  Here's his setup w/the lefty axes...

PphXOCJ.jpg

I bought a MK1 Head with GA-FC on Craigslist for $250 about 2 years ago. Never bothered with the software. The 5" speaker in it is only good for home practice but the damned thing drives a 4x12 cab really well. It's really pretty great. I would not hesitate to show up at a gig with it. 

3 hours ago, Funky Chicken said:

I bought a MK1 Head with GA-FC on Craigslist for $250 about 2 years ago. Never bothered with the software. The 5" speaker in it is only good for home practice but the damned thing drives a 4x12 cab really well. It's really pretty great. I would not hesitate to show up at a gig with it. 

The software interface is decent, and allows you to dig deeper into all the efx settings. I also updated the firmware to v4, which adds the pitch shift efx (he likes Gojira- so the Digitech Whammy-esque stuff is now at his disposal :)). Wish they supported mobile devices and tablets, though. Only runs on OSX or Windows.

I may have figured out some of the cost difference on the Katana Artist combo... I didn't realize it has a different driver in it - their spin on a greenback. That speaker alone is in the high-$100s new.

2 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

Thanks.  I saw one of the Artist models on Reverb with the foot switch, and my offer was accepted... So early bday present for me is incoming :)  Figure I should give it a go, based on what I heard out of my son's amp. Reminds me of my little THR10, but on a grander scale... Hard to get a bad sound out of either.

7 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Nice blending of the modern and the classic!

Is that an Atari 2600 I spy behind the planks?

My first electric guitar saved me from a life wasted playing video games, particularly THAT one. Got addicted to the included Tank Battle (on ice mod) for a brief time....I was headed down a dark path until I got "Heaven Tonight" and re-aligned my life goals

Yes - and a Coleco Vision sitting on top, obscured by the TV.  The latter was mine as kid, and the former belonged to my wife’s family. My 14 year old son is the resident Asteroids champion :)  (...always makes me think of that scene in Vacation at Cousin Eddie’s: “do you guys have Asteroids?”; “nah, but my dad does” haha)

My kids hardly touch the game consoles anymore, since both delved into music.  A good thing!

4 hours ago, tommy p said:

At my local GC, that seems to be the amp return of 2019.  Every time I went in there to peruse the used stuff, there was at least one and sometimes more.

There always seems to be a flood of used ones on the market...

15 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Give me a clump of pixels,

That reminded me of a photo I took back when I set the old game consoles up.  You haven't lived until the 58" plasma renderings of those pixel clumps have singed your retinas :D

MBI7u6s.png

Archived