Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My annual dose of 21st century guitar heroics

polara

I've posted a couple Muse videos before, even though every album engages me less. They're a pompous, comically overblown mash-up of mid-tier Queen, Bends-era Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, and whatever pop star is big at the moment, and the lyrics are middle-school-level sci-fi twaddle.

But damn they can rock, and talk about putting guitar front and center most of the time. Good to see about a hundred thousand Brazilians (let the jokes begin) largely 30 and under, going nuts for aggro stadium rawk. This is a really good concert, even if it's heavy on the last album, which was kind of a mess.

German SAT3 TV channel did a 24 hours concert series over New Year day and night. Early in the morning they had MUSE aired right after U2. Actually, I went to bed after a few minutes, but thought they were doing great, quite pushing rock. My wife watched a little longer and said they were great too. I know about them for years, however, they have never reached my ears anyhow. Can't tell of any songs I know of them really.

3 hours ago, gorch said:

German SAT3 TV channel did a 24 hours concert series over New Year day and night. Early in the morning they had MUSE aired right after U2. Actually, I went to bed after a few minute.

You did the right thing.

On 1/2/2020 at 4:43 PM, polara said:

They're a pompous, comically overblown mash-up....

4 hours ago, RobB said:

You did the right thing.

Yeah, I just can't bring myself to click, based on what I've heard on the radio.  Not my taste at all.  But good on 'em for slinging guitars.

9 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

Yeah, I just can't bring myself to click, based on what I've heard on the radio.  Not my taste at all.  But good on 'em for slinging guitars.

Well... you might want to try the above video. I've seen them live four times, and I've seen everyone from Dio-era Sabbath to Sigu Ros to Ramones. Muse is freaking amazing live. More like a hard rock band covering their own radio stuff.

I like a lot of it. It's fun.  The music is over the top and cheesy.  Queen, Radiohead, ' Pumpkins - yeah.  Throw in the pop sensibilities of Erasure.  And the dude can wail on the guitar.  Not my favorite guitar tones, but if it inspires the folks to pick up the guitar that's not all bad.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:58 AM, polara said:

Muse is freaking amazing live. More like a hard rock band covering their own radio stuff.

Gotta agree. Muse’s recordings don’t do much for me but I’ve seen them live twice and they put on a great show. 

Archived