Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1993 Hamer Archtop P-90, all gold finish, $1075

I wonder what the neck is like on it. The 1993 necks could be really thin or nice and chunky.

I guess it would be an Archtop Studio Goldtop?

That is tempting....

2 hours ago, topekatj said:

Wow. 114 views and NOT. ONE. COMMENT.  Not even a “it’s too much gold” or, “I’ll bet it’s got a skinny ‘90’s neck”?

nada thing

3F373B12-55DB-4063-A471-006FBD0253EA.png

10 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I wonder what the neck is like on it. The 1993 necks could be really thin or nice and chunky.

I guess it would be an Archtop Studio Goldtop?

That is tempting....

I'd side with 'nice and chunky' or at least a 'medium' neck.  Tuners are full size Hamer Schallers, so that's a good sign.

15 hours ago, Greg G said:

Seller states 1 5/8 nut.

Yeah, and they state it has a 'round C" profile. That's definitely not the super thin neck, those are more of a squashed C.

FWIW Idid some reading at one point  and learned that in 93 Hamer was doing more than 1 neck carve on the Specials, the slim carve and the chunkier “vintage “ carve.  Sounds like they did more than one on other models too? 

Edit looks to be a 91 not a 93. 

I had a checkup in Mountain View this morning. After the vet extricated her wristwatch from my arse, I hobbled over to Gryphon and took a look at the Goldtop.

Here a pic of the 'separation' noted in the listing.
Separation.JPG

And another one of the binding below the horn. It seemed a bit rough compared to the rest of the binding.
LowerHorn.JPG

There are two tiny finish divots on the back edge of the lower bout. They look like damage from a guitar stand based on the locations.
Divot#1.JPGDivot#2.JPG

Overall the finish was really good other than the clams I photographed.
Now, the neck. It's not slim at all. I have pretty big paws (good for bass) but this neck was not uncomfortable at all. If i was shopping for a P90 guitar it might have come home with me.

Overall a very solid instrument, in really good condition (finish, frets, etc.).

I did NOT plug it in because a) I suck on guitar, and b) I was afraid I'd like it.

If I did not have a WONDERFUL Hamer Goldtop (upgraded pickups) which puts my original '56 Gibson to shame, I might consider that (with plans to replace to original pups).

1 hour ago, killerteddybear said:

Overall the finish was really good other than the clams I photographed.

Now, the neck. It's not slim at all. I have pretty big paws (good for bass) but this neck was not uncomfortable at all. If i was shopping for a P90 guitar it might have come home with me.

Overall a very solid instrument, in really good condition (finish, frets, etc.).

I did NOT plug it in because a) I suck on guitar, and b) I was afraid I'd like it.

Nice report, hopefully the positive info regarding the neck will motivate someone to pull the trigger. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 3:18 PM, Hfan said:

FWIW Idid some reading at one point  and learned that in 93 Hamer was doing more than 1 neck carve on the Specials, the slim carve and the chunkier “vintage “ carve.  Sounds like they did more than one on other models too? 

Edit looks to be a 91 not a 93. 

Nope.  Not a model in 1991, and the serial is a 1993 number.

Archived