Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Price Check, Isle 5 - '75 Strat

I've had this 1975 Strat for 25 years or so. It's stock except for Straplocks and a 5-way switch (still have the original 3-way and strap buttons). This spring it will be going on the block. Pictures are old and not very good, but until it warms up outside it's what I got, and it hasn't really changed in 15 years aside from maybe some more checking. Everything functions as it should.

100_4946small.jpg

100_4948small.jpg

It's an honest not-too-messed-with '75 Strat, warts and all. I figure it's worth $350, I just need to know a ballpark on shipping. B)

Opinions?

The today only price for bubs: 5 meeeellion dollars.  :P   I know I know. I shoulda put it on the 'experts' page, but since it's here....

Prices seem to vary on these quite a bit, from a reasonable mid-teens to are-you-f**king-kidding-me. And I know dick about Strats, especially old ones. Somebody here (who in NOT named bubs) knows the market on these.

Cool guitar and black Strats from that era aren't as common as one would think (and this is an earlier '75 model since this is the year they transitioned to black plastics too).  I'm guessing it would be priced in the $3-3.5K range at most dealers with a replaced switch (and kudos to you for hanging onto the original parts!)...  Don't know what the current market demand is for mid-70s Strats really is but as mentioned the color will make it more desirable to many.  Sure is a nice looking one and best of luck with the sale! 

Reverb.com's price guide puts current value on a '75 Strat in black at $1,800 to $2,800, but they have no site transactions history to back that up. I'd initially ask more than that, but it's something to keep in mind and prepare a retort for, in case someone refers to their pricer during the tirekicking and haggling and back-and-forth.  https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/1405

Shit. I modded the f*ck outta my '76 CBS back in '85. But it had that stupid micro-tilt mechanism in the neck heel and the pickguard was the something red vomit. Looks and plays better now but dayum, even $1800 woulda more than tripled what I paid for it.

Just did a quick search on SOLD '75 Strats on Ebay and 2 recently sold for $2,500-$2,600 and both were in more common colors (Sunburst and Walnut) and neither look as nice as this one.  The Sunburst one sold for $2,600 and had replaced pickups and a 5-way switch.  I'd think yours would be valued a bit more than either of these, but YMMV.

Man, reading this thread again, how times change. I can remember going to the DFW vintage shows in the 1990s and clean unmodded or tastefully modded 70s strats were in the $400-600 range. I remember one guy one year had a booth full of them and he told me for a flat $1K I could walk with any three of my choice, with cases.

Also reminded me of the Gibson Designer Series (primitive factory graphics) from the 1980s at those shows. There was a guy one year had three or four of them in a giant oversized Rubbermaid garbage can. I think he wanted like $350 or $400 for each guitar in the can w OHSC, but for a flat $1K, I could take the whole lot -- including the giant Rubbermaid garbage can. Same story as the 70s strats - getting one Designer Explorer or V for a flat grand today would be SCORE! 

Interesting useless trivia  - Zakk Wilde's "burnt rebel flag" LP with the bottle caps stuck all over it I think began life as one of these ...

RTLfkFBJewjoQuNJaziEhQBK9ntvZBnf2dKAHXVP

php0TjDA1.jpg

Image result for zakk wylde rebel guitar"

16 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Those Vees were repug.

Still are.

Some people are trying to buy the gear they wanted but could not afford at the time. 

Yes, I still want a Lado guitar or bass just because Iron Maiden used them ONE year... or less. 

A 70's B.C. Rich Bich would be nice. 

Then there are those those guitars to revisit and remember why they were passed on.  Effect pedals from way back when are hit and miss.  A Foxx pedal that did fuzz/wah/volume was cool.  The reissue was cool, too.  I need another one.  A Pignose amp...  it depends on the day... it depends on the mood. 

On 1/5/2020 at 8:44 AM, Steve Haynie said:

Yes, I still want a Lado guitar or bass just because Iron Maiden used them ONE year... or less. 

Well, now, there’s a ringing endorsement. I’d get one of each. 

As a low starting point, you could see what Dave’s will give you. They seem pretty fair, I was told they offer 80% of what they think they can get out of it. That’s the closest I’ve come to trading anything in since I joined ebay in ‘99. So maybe do a 1.3 / 1.4 times the Dave trade in value?

Archived