Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Travis

WTB: Any mirage maple tops FS...?

Posted (edited)

I know I’ve been saying for months I need an amp first. And honestly I’m still on the fence. 
however, here’s my justification: amps are all over the place all the time. Mirages are limited in quantity, especially when I specify the top. 

I'm definitely going to get a maple top to go with my I & II.  Gotta complete the trifecta. I never should’ve sold the maple top I had years ago. The flame was INSANE...

Theres a red one and an amber one on reverb right now but I thought I’d see if anyone on the board had one they’d want to unload. 

if not...  I can always get a new amp instead...

Edited by Travis

Thoughts on either of these...?

https://reverb.com/item/6930593-1996-hamer-usa-mirage-flame-maple-top-red-transparent-59-jb-humbuckers-beautiful

https://reverb.com/item/26907745-vintage-1996-hamer-usa-mirage-ii-rare-w-hardcase

Trans red needs better pics to show the flame more so and the amber needs a new bridge for sure...

3 hours ago, Travis said:

Thoughts on either of these...?
https://reverb.com/item/6930593-1996-hamer-usa-mirage-flame-maple-top-red-transparent-59-jb-humbuckers-beautiful

https://reverb.com/item/26907745-vintage-1996-hamer-usa-mirage-ii-rare-w-hardcase
Trans red needs better pics to show the flame more so and the amber needs a new bridge for sure...

I have the twin of that trans red guitar! I pulled it out tonight after reading your post, 'just because'.
The Reverb sale item appears to be S/N 646584; mine is 646971 so they are the same year?
The color is quite dark, so if you're looking to show off the flame you may want to go for the natural/amber finish.
Having said that, I think the trans red guitar is priced realistically. And I like mine a lot.

Fun fact - San Ramon, California is about 20 miles from where I live.

The red transparent is the better deal. I'd offer $1k and see if they bite. The amber one seems to have nicer woods, but then you'd have the expense of a new bridge (a MannMade would be perfect).

All three Mirage IIs I've owned have been great guitars, real sleepers and a good, budget choice as PRS alternative. I just prefer Fender-types for 25.5" scales these days.

10 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

I have the twin of that trans red guitar! I pulled it out tonight after reading your post, 'just because'.
The Reverb sale item appears to be S/N 646584; mine is 646971 so they are the same year?
The color is quite dark, so if you're looking to show off the flame you may want to go for the natural/amber finish.
Having said that, I think the trans red guitar is priced realistically. And I like mine a lot.

Fun fact - San Ramon, California is about 20 miles from where I live.

Yup, same year. I’d love to see pics of yours if you’ve got any handy. I like the red color but it just doesn’t show the flame very well. 

10 hours ago, RobB said:

The red transparent is the better deal. I'd offer $1k and see if they bite. The amber one seems to have nicer woods, but then you'd have the expense of a new bridge (a MannMade would be perfect).

All three Mirage IIs I've owned have been great guitars, real sleepers and a good, budget choice as PRS alternative. I just prefer Fender-types for 25.5" scales these days.

Yeah, they’d need to come down to at least $1k on the Amber one to account for the bridge condition. I’ve been toying with the idea of putting a Mann bridge on my other Mirages, just haven’t gotten around to it yet. They both sound so good with Josh’s pickups in them I hadn’t taken the next step...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Travis said:

Yup, same year. I’d love to see pics of yours if you’ve got any handy. I like the red color but it just doesn’t show the flame very well. 

Here are four shots taken in direct sunlight about half an hour ago (9AM PST). Shot with the sun at +45, 0, -45 off axis to the body. Final shot was some weird angle to show the flame detail.

+45deg.JPG

0deg.jpg

-45deg.JPG

detail.JPG

Edited by killerteddybear
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RobB said:

Love the 25.5 scale when combined with Maple/Mahogany/Humbuckers. That's what sold me my Maple Mirage. 

4 hours ago, Travis said:

Yeah, they’d need to come down to at least $1k on the Amber one to account for the bridge condition. I’ve been toying with the idea of putting a Mann bridge on my other Mirages, just haven’t gotten around to it yet. They both sound so good with Josh’s pickups in them I hadn’t taken the next step...

The one shortcoming of these guitars is the bridge. It's just a bad choice for this guitar in my opinion. I put a Bladerunner on mine... really happy with it. 

The Amber one seems to have some neck issues.... Truss rod nut looks like it’s been torqued down pretty good.(compare to yours but I don’t recall my Mirages showing that much thread) and not sure what’s going on with the fretboard?? Possible repair??

I've got this one to through into the mix #645715 but i would want 11, not to sure I want to see it go.

12.jpg

• Like 2