Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My dad sent me an email this evening to let me know the Bullitt Mustang will be auctioned at Mecum next week.  As I read it I wondered if the bottom might fall out of the classic car market, much like we expect to happen to the guitar market as boomers age out.

After clicking on the link dad provided, I noticed that Mecum's auctions also include guitars.  I only ever associated the name with cars but they are apparently a full-service nostalgia provider.

Anyway, perusing the guitars coming up for auction I came across some from Nielsen's collection that I thought might be of interest here.

Link

It totally makes sense to me that Rick occasionally sells from his vast collection. It's like a CEO frequently selling from earned stock options.

8 hours ago, Travis said:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-401693/1955-fender-geddy-lee-stratocaster/

since when is geddy lee associated with Stratocasters...?

whats next, the Neil Peart signature skin flute...?

He  also has or had a 1959 Gibson Les paul "BURST" Sunburst not sure if that sold already. https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1019-388096/1959-gibson-les-paul-standard-electric-guitar/

10 hours ago, cynic said:

My dad sent me an email this evening to let me know the Bullitt Mustang will be auctioned at Mecum next week.  As I read it I wondered if the bottom might fall out of the classic car market, much like we expect to happen to the guitar market as boomers age out.

After clicking on the link dad provided, I noticed that Mecum's auctions also include guitars.  I only ever associated the name with cars but they are apparently a full-service nostalgia provider.

Anyway, perusing the guitars coming up for auction I came across some from Nielsen's collection that I thought might be of interest here.

Link

your dad rocks 😎

8 hours ago, gorch said:

It totally makes sense to me that Rick occasionally sells from his vast collection. It's like a CEO frequently selling from earned stock options.

I remember a GP interview with him several decades ago... The subject of his collection came up, and he commented about it being his 'pension'.

1 minute ago, DaveH said:

I remember a GP interview with him several decades ago... The subject of his collection came up, and he commented about it being his 'pension'.

Yes, I have heard about this.

2 hours ago, Cary said:

Got to spend a little time with the Bullitt Mustang and it’s owner back in October.  Really excited to see how much it’s going to go for this week.

381256CF-3C85-40D8-AFF1-E5975976230B.jpeg

I got to see this icon when it was parked on the National Mall, a few blocks from my office.  Pretty cool to get to see it, but it was in worse condition than I thought it would be.

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

I got to see this icon when it was parked on the National Mall, a few blocks from my office.  Pretty cool to get to see it, but it was in worse condition than I thought it would be.

There were two, the "hero" car and the stunt car.  I read that one of them, I forget which, was fished out of a Mexican junkyard.

18 hours ago, Cary said:

Got to spend a little time with the Bullitt Mustang and it’s owner back in October.  Really excited to see how much it’s going to go for this week.

381256CF-3C85-40D8-AFF1-E5975976230B.jpeg

Paging James Hetfield...

I think he already has a Bullitt replica, but he has the bucks to get this too.

21 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

There were two, the "hero" car and the stunt car.  I read that one of them, I forget which, was fished out of a Mexican junkyard.

This one was sold to a studio employee, who sold it to a detective in New Jersey, who sold it to the current owner’s father.  The current owner’s mother was a school teacher, who used it as a daily driver for years....

22 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Yeah, I think restoring it would probably hurt its value.  I can tell you, it still sounds healthy, though :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Custom Case I have for my 1981 Hamer Special is supposed to be made from Left Over parts for Rick Nielsen's Amps..

CheckerboardCase.jpg

On 1/5/2020 at 4:36 PM, cmatthes said:

It sold for quite a sum......................most anything owned by McQueen does. https://www.inquirer.com/entertainment/tv/bullitt-steve-mcqueen-mustang-sells-3-million-florida-auction-20200113.html

10 hours ago, custom53 said:

The Custom Case I have for my 1981 Hamer Special is supposed to be made from Left Over parts for Rick Nielsen's Amps..

CheckerboardCase.jpg

Not sure where you heard that, but it is simply not true - sounds like seller BS. That tolex was available from TKL (and Cedar Creek), but also MojoTone a few decades ago.  It's a different size of checkerboard than on Rick's stage amps, and his Rivera signaure amps were just regular 55-12s masked and sprayed silver.

On 1/6/2020 at 4:03 PM, Cary said:

Yeah, I think restoring it would probably hurt its value.  I can tell you, it still sounds healthy, though :)

Only if it’s super clean. “Survivor” cars that are in super clean, excellent (minty) condition stock and all original will fetch really good money.

In lesser condition, it is always better to restore them to new condition. Cars aren’t like guns, where if you refinish a collectible you destroy its value. 

14 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Only if it’s super clean. “Survivor” cars that are in super clean, excellent (minty) condition stock and all original will fetch really good money.

In lesser condition, it is always better to restore them to new condition. Cars aren’t like guns, where if you refinish a collectible you destroy its value. 

Yes and no.  If this were a regular 1968 Mustang in the condition it’s in, then it would be worth more restored.  But this car’s value is derived from its historical significance; replace too much of the car, and you risk losing the original essence (although, granted, it has 50 years of “patina” since the movie...).  It would be like replacing the chassis and doing a “resto-mod” on one of the original Batmobiles; if that’s what you’re after, just go buy a new replica.  That said, the other Bullitt that’s out there?  If it’s been in a junkyard all these years, probably best to go ahead and restore it.  Just my .02.  It will be interesting to see what the new owner decides.

38 minutes ago, Cary said:

Yes and no.  If this were a regular 1968 Mustang in the condition it’s in, then it would be worth more restored.  But this car’s value is derived from its historical significance; replace too much of the car, and you risk losing the original essence (although, granted, it has 50 years of “patina” since the movie...).  It would be like replacing the chassis and doing a “resto-mod” on one of the original Batmobiles; if that’s what you’re after, just go buy a new replica.  That said, the other Bullitt that’s out there?  If it’s been in a junkyard all these years, probably best to go ahead and restore it.  Just my .02.  It will be interesting to see what the new owner decides.

True enough, but if you don’t take care of rust, it will worsen, degrading its value, historic significance or not.

3 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

True enough, but if you don’t take care of rust, it will worsen, degrading its value, historic significance or not.

Every time a boomer dies its value drops a few cents.  Fifty years from now it will be a beat up Mustang with a story no one cares about.

Archived