Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gear Resolutions for 2020(?)

django49

Anyone making new plans?

I cannot think of much of anything that I WANT to add anymore. I am a year older, a bit less mobile than before and have not "played out" for quite a while. And still have some excesses cluttering up the house......

I DO love my Shishkov and I am sure I could come up with some ideas for something else completely wonderful, but suspect I am past the long term custom order phase.

I am thinking I should have a goal of selling one guitar a month this year, plus an amp here and there. I am just moving slow. I am STARTING to sort it out, take some new pictures, etc.

If I can get my butt in gear, I promise to post here......

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm selling. I have too many amps. But I'm buying accessories for solo acoustic act. No guitars this year. No guitars this year. No guitars this year............

I wanna add a Newport or some cool ES thingie to my stable, but I'm tripping over guitars already. So I guess my resolution includes making my one-story case rack a two-story case rack.

The year started with activities already. Yesterday, I had booked a guitar class for May. Gretchen Menn will be teaching me about Rock Riffs. Today, I finally build and finished the DIY Wah kit bought in autumn. Improving guitar playing and playing with virtual instruments is on the list too. Bringing recording back up.

I may not sell anything, but I'm starting to get a better handle on what I really like, and the others are just curiosities. I guess my goal is to gig enough to gain clarity into which guitar really is "me." I still cannot imagine needing a new amp or pedals since going Fractal. 100% satisfied there.

4 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

I need to sell two guitars due having more guitars than wall hooks.  

I hear ya.  I did the same thing last year.
Now I have an empty hook, which is not good either.

Learn how to play the carnfounded guitar things. :P

I'm looking more into expanding my recording gear and midi samples , believe it or not.

I’m kicking around building a 35-50 watt 6L6 amp that’ll do Tweed, Brownface and Blackface. Comparing schematics and scratching on paper is all the further I’ve gotten so far. No Trem or reverb. But possibly a presence control.

A couple of things on my radar, one of which is a nice acoustic.  I have a very nice 000 style acoustic and a crummy dreadnaught.  Played a friend’s Collings SJ and was smitten.  If the right Princeton Reverb becomes available I might bite.

Repeat my 2019 performance of not buying any guitars or amps (first time I've accomplished that in 20 years at least). Sold two guitars and one amp last year, already sold one guitar this year. I'm lovin' it like Mickey D's.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

My goal is to get down to a half-dozen electrics and two acoustics.  I'd also like to try a long-scale Les Paul if the right deal comes along, but there's little else that would tempt me.  

I have that same noble aim but I just can’t get there.  Yet.  I think half a dozen is just about perfect in terms of flexibility for tones/fixed bridges/trems.  Problem is I look at the likely “go” candidates, pick one up, and...

My gear buying embargo is lifted this month. Looking at a new amp, possibly a Mirage maple top to complete my Mirage trifecta. Not betting on my Shishkov being completed during this calendar year but there’s always hope...

My goal this year is to detail out and specify my practice time. I spend way too much time noodling and meandering without improving technique, speed, phrasing, etc...

7 minutes ago, DBraz said:

Problem is I look at the likely “go” candidates, pick one up, and...

Yeah....doing so means letting go of some incredible guitars.  But I also fudge the numbers a little by classifying my Fool SG, Hendrix Monterey Strat, and EVH Bumblebee tributes as art :)

14 minutes ago, cynic said:

Yeah....doing so means letting go of some incredible guitars.  But I also fudge the numbers a little by classifying my Fool SG, Hendrix Monterey Strat, and EVH Bumblebee tributes as art :)

Art yes!

Exactly my reason for owning an O’Connor Cali Double neck! 😃

I'm working on finishing some of the more interesting things in the "Project Pile", and selling the stuff that I'm not going to get around to finishing.  There's a lot of it, and it's all really top notch, so that's making it a bit more challenging with some of the stuff.  There's really nothing I NEED...not that that's ever been a consideration, but I'd like to reduce the stockpile a bit.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Sounds reasonable to me, especially when/if one has a hand in designing the finish on qualifying guitars.

I hope to sell two guitars....I recently bought a new amp and 4 pedals...if the Shishkov which hopefully arrives in 2020 is as good as my Ultimate, it *could* mean a couple really good Hamers being let go...but we will see. But prolly not. When the new Shish arrives, I can get down to 4 electrics, a bass, an acoustic, and a lap steel. And too many amps. 

17 hours ago, Travis said:

My gear buying embargo is lifted this month. Looking at a new amp, possibly a Mirage maple top to complete my Mirage trifecta. Not betting on my Shishkov being completed during this calendar year but there’s always hope...

My goal this year is to detail out and specify my practice time. I spend way too much time noodling and meandering without improving technique, speed, phrasing, etc...

Come on down, I'm sure I can fill your Amp needs. My wife would appreciate something actually leaving the house. 

My resolution is to stay married. I think I pushed it a bit in 2019, so i'm hoping for an upswing in 2020. 

Archived