Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gear Resolutions for 2020(?)

django49

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I got myself a Fender Acoustasonic Tele last month (year) and I really like it. It is my only "acoustic" guitar. Now, in a band I only play bass and I want a new amp for quite some time (Mesa WD800). I really like to look at guitars and basses, but I don't really need new stuff. I want some small stuff too, Neo Ventilator II, MXR Carbon Copy, A Yamaha Reface CP keyboard, a new PC and a new Cubase edition. Later I might want some new bass cabs too, either two 1x12" or a 2x12". The real hard part might be for me to get rid of gear I seldom use or even don't use anymore, like one of my Marshall amps, the Fender Prosonic, a Fender 72 Pawnshop, two Kramer Focus 3000, A Trace Elliot 715 combo, the Ampeg V4BH, the Mesa Diesel cab, Boss Wah, Phaser and Chorus pedals. I always have a hard time to part from things like these.

Last year it hit me finally that I am the only one that hears me playing me...

Maybe Judy gets to hear me once in a while.

Gear Evaluation ensued around last September and made a list of stays and goes.

I did pretty good letting go...

I dumped my Metropoulos, Uberschall,  complicated pedals, lots of parts, etc.

But then.....

I went back to old school familiarity and it's been awesome

RE69qRI.jpg

Technology finally caught up with me, the new TC stuff is awesome,

cik5brx.jpg

and thanks to reverb, watching a listing for one of the new Explorer's, then music zoo shoots out an offer to me that I could not refuse

eS2HtXv.jpg

I did resolve to liquidate quite a bit, and more to do.

But, at same time, I am back at a happy place where I can musically masterbate keeping this old man happy.

In the shoppe, I just need to finish up on a few things that have been hanging around for a bit.

RZBKExx.jpg

I've got the Ibanez Paul Gilbert version of that A/DA Flanger...one of my favorites!

1 hour ago, Dana_V said:

A/DA Flanger - nice! I still have mine from 1980, although I must admit I don't use it much any more. Best flanger ever.

As well, since 1980, but, still use it ;) Mine is quirky thou, out of spec but I like it like the way it is,

and I modded it so the control out is a speed control out

(next to the pedalboard pic) I can go from Frank Marino to baracuda and all in between with the speed control pedal.

No real set resolutions, I try to make those "ADJUSTMENTS" as needed  throughout the year,that works for me.I have a purchase coming up here near the end of this month,can't do it before as the seller is vacationing out of state till then and can't pack and ship it,but it will be worth the wait. I have owned one before so I'm VERY familiar with the instrument so there won't be any surprises as to what it is or how it performs,neck shape ,etc. I'll post here when I get my hands on it. Otherwise gear wise I'm good to go with guitars and amps.There are things I WOULD like to buy but at 67 I just can not justify spending the money to get them,will spend that money traveling the world with my wife.

Now that I have someone to help with the physical stuff I can't do for myself any more I can continue slowly turning my spare room into a VERY modest home studio.  I now have some guitars and amplification,  I'd maybe like 1 more guitar amp, then a small mixer, effects, monitor speakers, compressor, noise gate, (unless software versions are now available, it's 20-something years since I bought a copy of 'Sound on Sound') stereo amp to power them and then upgrade my existing i7 3770K/Z77 desktop system to something more current and maybe finally and very reluctantly relent to using Windows effing 10, as my beloved Win7/64 won't be safe to take on the internet after the end of this month.  I'm still considering going totally over to Linux which I've used a fair bit in the past.  Researching affordable recording / sampling / sequencing software (things have changed somewhat since I learned to use MIDI-only Cubase in the early 90s on an Atari ST with a 10" 'Hi-Res' mono monitor haha) I'd also like a couple of synths, etc, etc. that mental list we all have that never quite ends..  Main thing is I now have a little physical help, which makes all the difference for me.  Also re-learning a ton of stuff I've forgotten, that's a current work in progress that never stops, e.g. learning more music theory & technique and putting it to work.  My reasons for getting back into playing are maybe not quite the same as what motivates other players, e.g. I won't be able to gig again and my physical limitations are er, limiting.  At best I can play/practice for about 45-50 minutes before it gets too painful and I have to stop,  but at least now I'm not going out of my mind with boredom & depression and feeling like all the meds I'm on are destroying my mind & soul quite so much since I started playing again.  It's been good to dispel some of the negativity that  had been starting to encroach.  My apologies if I've said more than I should have, or more than anyone might want to know,  I'm certainly not looking for pity or feeling sorry for myself.  I'm just trying to take something I used to be half-decent at once and use it to help myself cope with this not-great situation I've found myself in.  I'm hoping this year will bring about some sense of fulfillment and as long as I've learned more stuff by this time next year than I can play now, I'll be happy.

Since I bought my Standard in 2018, my GAS has subsided to near nothing.  Just need to play more and start to think about thinning the herd of stuff I don’t play.  Now, if a nice Special FM pops up, I may have to reconsider...

2 hours ago, Mr. Dave said:

On the subject of gear resolutions I'm not usually a fan of Telecasters but these look rather nice, I guess they'll be made in Mexico:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-special-edition-custom-tele-flame-maple-top-amber

I like that it uses Indian Laurel as a Indian Rosewood substitute...not only is it nearly as hard (less than 5% difference) as Indian Rosewood, it's related to Limba/Korina:

https://www.wood-database.com/indian-laurel/

If you're looking for a Tele that's a bit different, these have been showing up again online since the Holidays, and they're still Made In Japan:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/jazzmaster/made-in-japan-mahogany-offset-telecaster/5259900321.html

I couldn't see anything on that link you posted re the Jazzmaster, so do you think maybe the Teles are MIJ or MIM?   btw sorry for being dense but what does the 'GAS' abbreviation stand for?

1 hour ago, Mr. Dave said:

I couldn't see anything on that link you posted re the Jazzmaster, so do you think maybe the Teles are MIJ or MIM?   btw sorry for being dense but what does the 'GAS' abbreviation stand for?

The MIJ Offset Tele might not be available in the UK, also the USA Fender website might not be reachable from the UK due to marketing restrictions.  Here's a video, it's from 2018, but it's exactly the same guitar:

Fender's using the fact that it's Made In Japan as part of their marketing for the Offset Tele, at least here in the US.  If the Flame-top Tele you were looking at didn't mention it, then it probably isn't MIJ.

Also, 'GAS' = 'Guitar Acquisition Syndrome'.

I'm going flog off a few bits and pieces of stuff I bought and just don't use - mainly pedals and stuff I would say, plus one or two guitars.

I don't need any gear really, but I'm always on the look out for stuff obviously :)

I've had some great fun and learned a lot shooting @DBraz and @diablo175 a few clips back and forth over the last year (thank you chaps!!), and my playing has improved a fair bit over the year as a consequence of this, and just playing more because I'm making time to do it

I was really happy with these results as I'd pretty much written my playing off, to never being any better than when I was about 23.

The stuff I can play now is the kind of stuff that at the start of 2019, I would have NEVER thought I could do - not in a million years. I've kind of relearned how to practice if that makes sense?

I reckon the stuff I'll sort out this year will be some recording gear so I can get involved in that side of life a bit more - and be involved in producing some music to enjoy myself and share.

.......Oh, and I've seen a Bogner ATMA Combo for sale that looks fucking FANTASTIC and right up my street - so I'll probably forget all the above, and just get that!

14 hours ago, crunchee said:

The MIJ Offset Tele might not be available in the UK, also the USA Fender website might not be reachable from the UK due to marketing restrictions.  Here's a video, it's from 2018, but it's exactly the same guitar:

Fender's using the fact that it's Made In Japan as part of their marketing for the Offset Tele, at least here in the US.  If the Flame-top Tele you were looking at didn't mention it, then it probably isn't MIJ.

Also, 'GAS' = 'Guitar Acquisition Syndrome'.

I had horrible GAS for one of those.  While the itch has abated a little and I have some toys to play with for a while; and my intent for this year is to only pick up a new Shishkov,, I have a feeling that I may end up with one of those in 2020. 

On 1/5/2020 at 3:02 PM, Dutchman said:

I’m kicking around building a 35-50 watt 6L6 amp that’ll do Tweed, Brownface and Blackface. Comparing schematics and scratching on paper is all the further I’ve gotten so far. No Trem or reverb. But possibly a presence control.

Very nice! 

During my Christmas break, I started re-learning basic electronics and spent a LOT of time on YouTube and in both guitar and audio forums educating myself and learning the theory and skills necessary- including getting some of the *right* tools for the job and practicing things like soldering, measuring, etc. I put together a cheap electronics pre-amp kit from Amazon and am starting to take apart/diagnose/repair some audio receivers, power supplies, and amps I have.  Lots of fun for the cold, dark Maine winters.

Goal is to build a rather simple Fender Champ style amp and then through experience maybe work my way up to an audio amp in the 30-50 watt power range as you.  Long road ahead.

10 hours ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

I've had some great fun and learned a lot shooting @DBraz and @diablo175 a few clips back and forth over the last year (thank you chaps!!), and my playing has improved a fair bit over the year as a consequence of this, and just playing more because I'm making time to do it

I was really happy with these results as I'd pretty much written my playing off, to never being any better than when I was 23

Matey, sometimes it’s easy to forget about actually playing when engrossed in a guitar arms race.  You CAN play.  You know that. I know that.  

Practice is overlooked and very satisfying when it all comes together isn’t it?

Personally I could do with a good theory instructional video as my theoretical knowledge is less than optimal.

2 hours ago, Toadroller said:

Goal is to build a rather simple Fender Champ style amp and then through experience maybe work my way up to an audio amp in the 30-50 watt power range as you.  Long road ahead.

Mojotone has some nice kit’s!! Check them out!!

My goal is to move out another 4-5 guitars.  I sold 4 or 5 last year, but still have too many since I’m only gigging once or twice a year.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:52 PM, django49 said:

Anyone making new plans?

I cannot think of much of anything that I WANT to add anymore. I am a year older, a bit less mobile than before and have not "played out" for quite a while. And still have some excesses cluttering up the house......

I DO love my Shishkov and I am sure I could come up with some ideas for something else completely wonderful, but suspect I am past the long term custom order phase.

I am thinking I should have a goal of selling one guitar a month this year, plus an amp here and there. I am just moving slow. I am STARTING to sort it out, take some new pictures, etc.

If I can get my butt in gear, I promise to post here......

I've heard that duck quack before my friend :lol:

Archived