Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gear Resolutions for 2020(?)

django49

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 8:52 AM, django49 said:

If I can get my butt in gear, I promise to post here......

I've been watching this thread for 2 weeks, thinking about what I should do.

If I can get my butt in gear, I promise to post it here too.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying not to buy any pedals or other gear. I want to set aside that money to record in a small studio. 

I didn't buy anything last year and am about to start building a house so definitely not buying anything this year. There's a few things in the project pile though that I'm playing with but that's not really buying anything. I'm more or less GAS free.

Stike has a couple things cooking for me that I've been itchin' to get together...a few other projects getting wrapped up, but I want to spend more time playing  (and playing out) in 2020.

Funny...

I wanted for years my "Jazzbird", now I see that Fender caught up the idea with their... uh... "Spark-O-Matic Jazzmaster".

Umm... no, thanks.

https://shop.fender.com/de-DE/electric-guitars/other/parallel-universe-volume-ii-spark-o-matic-jazzmaster/0176760700.html

Fender_Jazzbird4.jpg

1 - Do/get done the cap job my Kendrick 2410 has been crying for for ages.

2 - thin the dirt box collection. Learn how everything stacks and keep half. No need for a dozen when only one or two cascade at any given moment, and there's a lot of redundancy or crossover in the collection of Lovepedal, Analogman, Fulltone and vintage offerings I've got.

3 - Finish using up my remaining chassis and boards and complete the run of "Josh-OO-Wahs" I set out to build a few years ago.

4 - Find a new place to live that can accommodate my shop or sell the damn thing. Studied luthierie with Norman Reed and Phil Messer at the Totnes School of Guitarmaking 20 years ago, but never got fully up and running afterwards due to anxiety and depression. Lost the space, put it all in storage, and now it just hurts knowing there's so much potential going to waste or collecting dust (both in me and in the tools and materials). A year from now I either want to be bent over my bench carving a bridge and tailpiece for my (currently) unfinished archtop or wishing someone well as they load my former dreams into a trailer and drive off. Three instruments in process (one each, acoustic, archtop, electric) need to be completed and there are materials (including some sick koa and a set of old-growth dalbergia negra) waiting to make music. Something needs to change.

I've stopped trying to find the perfect guitar and the perfect amp.

Good enough really is good enough now.

I want to shed more gear, but "Ooh! It's rare!" or "Ooh! it plays better than guitars 3x its price!" is making me hesitate.

I truly have a collection of difficult-to-replace guitars.  Which makes it hard to let go of a single one.

But I'm down to 30, and would really like to get down to 20, since there's only 5-6 I would ever gig with under most circumstances.

14 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I've stopped trying to find the perfect guitar and the perfect amp.

Good enough really is good enough now.

I want to shed more gear, but "Ooh! It's rare!" or "Ooh! it plays better than guitars 3x its price!" is making me hesitate.

I truly have a collection of difficult-to-replace guitars.  Which makes it hard to let go of a single one.

But I'm down to 30, and would really like to get down to 20, since there's only 5-6 I would ever gig with under most circumstances.

Sounds like "The Law Of Diminishing Returns"...if one is good, then two is better.  If two is better, then three is fantastic.  If three is fantastic, then four must be....  I've found that eventually 'more' just winds up being 'more' and not necessarily better, and I've tended to let loose of gear that I don't play or use more and more as time goes by.

I was going to say that my goal is to get around to congratulating at least half of the New Gear Day posts here.  However, that Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander has me thinking about how it would let me use more of my stuff more often...  And it begins.

Archived