Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anyone know the D-C-G trick?

gorch

Oh wait, that's not Mr. Rogers at all! It's the love child of Han Solo and Pincess Leia, only it's painfully obvious Leia had a fling with Rick Moranis there, because guitar Kylo looks nothing like Han. 

21 minutes ago, FGJ said:

Oh wait, that's not Mr. Rogers at all! It's the love child of Han Solo and Pincess Leia, only it's painfully obvious Leia had a fling with Rick Moranis there, because guitar Kylo looks nothing like Han. 

There is definitely a touch of Bob Casale in there too.

8 hours ago, zorrow said:

Seriously though, it’s interesting how all those “tricks” aren’t special to us, but beginners will find them cool as heck, I’m sure. Thanks for sharing, @gorch!

All fine. Actually, I would not call me a beginner. However, no resource I have conquered in the 16 years of my guitar life had led me to this. And sure, I have not gone the teenage cover music or camp fire route. Nor am I’m going it now. 
But thanks for confirmation guys. 
@Studio Custom, @Ed Rechts, I don’t understand why you are battling. Life would be much easier and nicer when you’d be rather kissing. :D

25 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

because like the emotional toddler you are

Emotional toddlers are certainly not the poorest guys the world.

Anyways, thanks for the G-F-C trick. Are there any others?

12 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Go find a video of Gibbons or Townsend playing "Tush" and "Squeezebox" live, respectively (at least early on). Then see if you can do what they are doing...it takes serious finger strength and dexterity. Also, find a video of Brian Setzer playing ANYTHING. His songs seem simple until you have to play them loud and clean like he does.

Verily, verily.

37 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

I know you know I wasn't referring to you here.

But you've sparked a GREAT subject if we're gonna talk guitar playing today, so I will throw in something that inspired me early on:

The way Billy Gibbons and Pete Townsend play their songs in actuality. It ain't barre chords or diminisheds like so many of us thought when we were self learning. Those guys learned from the blues guys, who stuck to orthodoxy on open chording. So when they sped up the rhythms to make the songs they wrote rock faster, they didn't default to barres like most do to make it easy. Go find a video of Gibbons or Townsend playing "Tush" and "Squeezebox" live, respectively (at least early on). Then see if you can do what they are doing...it takes serious finger strength and dexterity. Also, find a video of Brian Setzer playing ANYTHING. His songs seem simple until you have to play them loud and clean like he does.

I only use barre chords if necessary to drive a rhythm.  That low notes are the bass player’s and keyboard player’s turf! That’s entirely different with an acoustic guitar solo show, then you need the full spectrum. When you get the C F G shapes all over the neck it opens up a whole pallet of incredibleness on a guitar. You’ll discover those shapes are actually shapes of the penatonic scale to derive lead guitar parts from!! Great fun!! This works for all open note chords up and down the neck. I don’t remember who was teaching this but he called it the CAGED system or something like that. It’s a great thing to work on to improve your playing!!!  

49 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Also, find a video of Brian Setzer playing ANYTHING. His songs seem simple until you have to play them loud and clean like he does.

A very valid point.  Until you play something loud, standing up, in front of an audience,  it’s just not the same.

The best guitarists out there make the hard stuff sound easy and that’s the beauty of their art.  

29 minutes ago, DBraz said:

A very valid point.  Until you play something loud, standing up, in front of an audience,  it’s just not the same.

The best guitarists out there make the hard stuff sound easy and that’s the beauty of their art.  

Ah man, I find that incredibly stressful - I work on the basis that whatever I can play well in comfort and privacy - I'll be able to play perhaps 50% as well, out in the wild :)

so far - thats proved pretty accurate!

8 minutes ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

Ah man, I find that incredibly stressful - I work on the basis that whatever I can play well in comfort and privacy - I'll be able to play perhaps 50% as well, out in the wild :)

so far - thats proved pretty accurate!

That's more or less a point stressed by my Sensei: you train as strong and as effectively as you can because when it comes time to apply in a real life situation, you will only be able to perform and recall roughly 60% of learned skills/concepts.

FWIW- I hit an even bigger mental roadblock whilst recording. The millisecond that recording light comes on, my brain and fingers go to shit. Basically, if I hope to achieve any semblance of decent playing, I have to be wanking away in the seclusion of my basement studio or office, with no thought of expectations, away from any type of audience. 🤣

1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

the CAGED system or something like that.

Actually, I ran into the CAGED system very early on in my learning path and later on noticed about open string chords. However, I’m not playing in a band and not playing cover, but rather improvise a lot and create my own stuff. Currently, I’m in the process of working myself off of the rhythm playing gap. Focussing on all sorts of progressions, eventually, fluently playing lines in chords.

14 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

The millisecond that recording light comes on, my brain and fingers go to shit.

It’s all about routine if you’d like to come over it.

3 minutes ago, gorch said:

It’s all about routine if you’d like to come over it.

Yes, repetition helps but I've been recording stuff since I was 17 and I still get mentally hung up. Somethings just can't be overcome. ;)

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

. The millisecond that recording light comes on, my brain and fingers go to shit

Get rid of the red light! With today’s digital recording you can move sections anywhere! Put it on loop for the section and let er’ fly!!

11 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

Get rid of the red light! With today’s digital recording you can move sections anywhere! Put it on loop for the section and let er’ fly!!

I was speaking metaphorically. ;) But I agree- when I record on my own, I usually do numerous takes. The issue is when I record in a "live" setting with the originals band, it's almost a guaranteed brain fart and multiple retakes. This creates impatience and exasperation after a point. Luckily, I'm not always the one making screw-ups. 😆

The pressure is significantly reduced at home versus a pro studio where time is money and the meter is running. The solo and closing wankery in this tune were both single takes, done in my mancave:

48 minutes ago, MCChris said:

The pressure is significantly reduced at home versus a pro studio where time is money and the meter is running. The solo and closing wankery in this tune were both single takes, done in my mancave:

Nice!

I'd do the same but my issue is compatibility of DAWs. The band studio uses Pro Tools but I have Garage Band. I have neither the time nor the desire to learn PT and according to our bassist/engineer, dropping WAVs into PT is a bit of a hassle. I guess aligning it is the issue? Anyway, the net result is I can't cut my tracks at home, on my own terms. 😑

1 hour ago, MCChris said:

I like it!  I’ve listened to it a few times and it’s buzzing round my head now. 😃

3 hours ago, DBraz said:

I like it!  I’ve listened to it a few times and it’s buzzing round my head now. 😃

Ha, thanks! Can't take credit for the songwriting but I'm pretty pleased with how the first solo came out. Not my usual approach!

I clicked on the video maybe expecting to see an alternative tuning I'd not seen before instead of 3 rudimentary chords, but that aside I prefer the way Stewie Griffin Does it:

Archived